The Fixie Thread

idesa

Likes Bikes
I ride fixed cause the chicks, they dig it hard. Because of this I need a way of gettin away faster, and the fixie provides this!!!

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
That was nuts - especially the last bit.

I don't think Dan will mind me posting these...

I took one of his bikes for a spin once... super short top tube and 80+ degree head angle is weird and a half.

Attachments

idesa

Likes Bikes
Seeing as how we're discussing FGG bikes, what does Dennis regard as being 'Vintage'? My Raleigh was made in '73, does this qualify?

Last edited:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Popped my fixie cherry today

After reading LTR's post in this thread about fixies teaching you to pedal constantly, I flipped the wheel over on my Langster & rode fixed to Footscray through the city - still had brakes. Holy shite it was scary, I just kept forgetting I couldn't free wheel & almost threw myself from the saddle a few times.

It was also a lot of fun in a disturbing kind of way.

What advice can fixie veterans give to a nooB? Because fun as it was, I feel the freewheel side is faster, you can crank it up super fast & coast, whereas on the fixed side, I ran out of steam when I tried to spin fast.

idesa

Likes Bikes
Advise eh: Well for starters you were askin for trouble goin on your maiden trip through the city, and also, crankin it before you get your brain used to anticoast, duh mate you're lucky you've still got skin on your shnoz!!! But hey it's good to see you got back in one piece.

It takes some time to get used to. Go for a few smaller rides with less traffic around, maybe jus go to your local big carpark and fuck around for a few hours. Practice stop starts. Practice some small sprints to quick slow to teach your brain that "Hey if I give it this much gas, it's goin to take longer to slow down and I still have to keep that RPM up till I do". Practice slow speed turns using whatever's around i.e the painted lines, cars, peds dogs...?

What gear ratio are you using anyway?

Maybe next time you ride fixed somewhere, give yourself another 5-10mins to get there and ride a lil slower, thus enabling yourself to delve further into the fixie ethos.

Have fun.
Idesa

P.s. I aint no vet :rolleyes:

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seeing as how we're discussing FGG bikes, what does Dennis regard as being 'Vintage'? My Raleigh was made in '73, does this qualify?
I don't know

Is it a car thing that over 30 years old is considered "Classic" and then something older again is "Vintage"? And what is "Antique"?

Then there is the difference between "Old School" and "Retro" :confused:

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Trust me Christo... its faster... You just have to get a bit fitter, and you will be able to pedal forever, give it time.

idesa

Likes Bikes
So if we look at this as a sliding scale, we could possibly put all of these terms into one simple design:

Now---
. -
. ---Old school is what you used as a kid, fits here somewhere.
. -
Retro-- 20yrs
Classic-- 30yrs
Vintage-- 50-60yrs
Antique-- 90-100yrs+
Anything past this point comes under the banner of 'Bicyclosaurus Rustaralus'

Sleeman

Likes Dirt
When you say that fixed is faster than freewheel, it all depends on your point of view.

Sure you can get up to higher speeds on a bike with a freewheel, but a fixie forces you to be economical with your riding and encourages you to keep moving at a steady pace.

I find now that i use less energy commuting on my fixie to arrive at my destination in the same time purely because i haven't been stop starting all the way, although i never can resist a good ol' powerslide every now and then... :rolleyes:

cellardoor

Likes Dirt
Word me up on colour a theam

Im currently in the process of stripping this baby for a fixie conversion.
My original plan (before I found a good frame) was to go all black or all white. In keeping with the minimalistic nature of a fixie.
But as you can see this frame I got (love hard rubbish day) has these wonderfull over stated lugs. So I was thinking a diffrent colours for the lugs and tubes. The original colours (which I found under the god awfull gold some fool had had painted it) was deep blue and metalic orange. Part of me wants to go lime green and pink or something like that for that real look at me flavour. But that would be short lived. Im more of a leave me alone sort of guy. So now Im thinking black and gun metal grey. But I cant decide. So like a whiney little bitch Im bugging you all about it.