The Fixie Thread

cellardoor

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at building a new wheelset for my Steamroller..

Thinking about lacing lime-green Velocity Deep Vee Rims to either the original Surly hubs or something else(?any ideas?) using black DT Aero Speed spokes..

1. As these wheels wouldn't be exclusively track.. Would the DT Aero Speed spokes be strong enough for street duties? Or should I be looking at spokes like the DT Champion or DT Competition??

2. Should I upgrade the hubs from the stock Surly hubs the Steamroller came with? If so.. to what? (Big fan of Black hubs to be honest.. so would lean in favour of anything in the emo shade:eek:)

Help? Ideas?? Comments???
Don't know about spokes but if they are the ones that came stock with a built up steam roller they are prob' ment for street use.
Surly hubs are better then low end velocity which are re badged formula hubs as far as I know.
Couple of black ones here but the surlys would be better suited to steet use I'd think. It's prob' not worth abusing a pair of SUZUE Promax hubs on the pot holes a drain covers of Australias roads.
Just splash out for black phils and while you are at it send a pair my way :)

Last edited:

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Sounds good tristan. Hopefully ill have a wheelset reasonably soon. Do you still have my red europa frame still tristan.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Sounds good tristan. Hopefully ill have a wheelset reasonably soon. Do you still have my red europa frame still tristan.
Yeah, still got a couple of frames here that people are welcome to come have a look at and take. One is 53cm seat tube, two are 57cm seat tube. Or something along those lines. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to come pick one up.

RCOH

Eats Squid
If you aren't using the Europa frame you came and got off me I will take it back & put it to good use. It was a 57 & green in colour.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
If you aren't using the Europa frame you came and got off me I will take it back & put it to good use. It was a 57 & green in colour.
Yeah no worries. Daniel (unicycler) has always been after it but never came to pick it up, so it's yours if you want it.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Surly hubs are better then low end velocity which are re badged formula hubs as far as I know.
Couple of black ones here but the surlys would be better suited to steet use I'd think. It's prob' not worth abusing a pair of SUZUE Promax hubs on the pot holes a drain covers of Australias roads.
Cheers for the advice.. Ta.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Here's my fixie, almost complete.

Looks ugly as dogshit at the moment, but i'll be making some upgrades soon (when my pocket money increases..:rolleyes:).

Upgrades include:
- Front brake (can't skid well enough..yet)
- Flipped, chopped, bar-taped bars (god it's uncomfortable at the moment!)
- Matching front wheel - lime green of course
- New seat (something more stealthy)
- Painted frame eventually (wanting either stealth black, or bright pink..Rosswannabemuch?) Can't decide between either stealth and cool, or retro as hell..

Ratio: 48:19. Perfect for what i'm doing at the moment. Might go 18 on the rear at some point. Having a lot of fun at present though, and i've only been riding her for 2 days.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
My God man, do something about those bars quickfastinahurry.
Yeah, they were drops until yesterday, when i needed something to replicate bullhorns..that was as close as i could get without cutting anything:eek: They're actually not too bad.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Damn those Lime Green Deep V's really smack you in the face, I love it! I agree with the bars, personally Id chop and flip em into bullhorns (Im planning to do just that on mine because I want to reach out a little bit more and get more leverage) but whatever suits you! Enjoy fixed riding, its great fun:)

'Ross

Eats Squid
I honestly cannot understand the fascination with them or the pink ones or any other fluoro colour.

But to each their own.
I guess I just like bright colours? :eek: Im too stingy to get deep Vs but, so I just suffice with super cheap atuo paint.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't decide between either stealth and cool, or retro as hell..
Well you have a problem here, Fluro lime green is neither stealth or retro, unless you consider the 80's retro and well....hmmmm

Despite this conflict, the bikes' looking cool so far!

-Garth