The Fixie Thread

troublemaker

Likes Bikes
tonights the night, weeks worth of sitting in front of the psn playing Nascar 06" for mental preperation comes down to this ,,12 {3.km,s} hard and fast laps of the DGV. Man I 'm pumped WHOOOOOOHH.
and I can't stop going to the toilet ,and SOUND GARDEN ,My Wave and Super Unknown are playing over in my head. WHOOOOOHHHH YEAH,,,,,,,WHOOOOOOOOHHHHH

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
Thought I would post here instead of making a new thread..anyone have a set of cheapish bullhorn bars?? I'm looking for under $50 preferably

Edit: Just made my own :)

Last edited:

Lorday

Eats Squid
Shortly getting:
49 tooth chain ring
19 tooth track cog
New chain
New chainring bolts
New tyres
New rim tape

I've already got new wheels.

Revamping my bike, and saving for a new frame/fork/stem/seatpost

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Getting a 2009 Langster in brushed alloy this week. Gonna swap some bits from my current bike over once I get it. Shall post pics once I've got it to my liking. Anyone wanna buy my current bike??

the_beast

Likes Dirt
Just thought i would chuck up a photo of what my 7 year old son has just built !!! single speed 20". He wanted to go fixed but i said not yet. Super proud as all i did was wrap the bars for him (it was a stripped frame to start with)

røhvul

Likes Dirt
Yo Melbz farkers
I gotta favour to ask
Im gonna be in Mel over the anzac weekend and was wondering if somone has a largish bike(im 6'5) i could borrow for a few days.. in exchange for a case of ones favourite ale!
Long ways off i know, but ill be in indian backwaters from next week till i get down to mel.
Any help mucho appreciated!!

flyracing

Likes Dirt
Ok guys, got a question for ya. I've got an old Ricardo that I'm doing up into a fixie and I'm too cheap to buy a flip flop hub. Seeing as it will be a freewheel thread so that the cog might loosen off under resisting the pedals.

I had the bright idea of running left hand drive so that the cog will tighten as I brake with my pedals and I'll just flip the cranks around. But the pedals will be going in the opposite direction they're supposed to go so they may loosen off after a while. Do you think they will be alright with a bit of loctite on the thread? Any other options? or am I better off just running it on the right hand side and use a shitload of loctite on the cog? thoughts?

I'm going to run a front brake by the way.

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
Ok guys, got a question for ya. I've got an old Ricardo that I'm doing up into a fixie and I'm too cheap to buy a flip flop hub. Seeing as it will be a freewheel thread so that the cog might loosen off under resisting the pedals.

I had the bright idea of running left hand drive so that the cog will tighten as I brake with my pedals and I'll just flip the cranks around. But the pedals will be going in the opposite direction they're supposed to go so they may loosen off after a while. Do you think they will be alright with a bit of loctite on the thread? Any other options? or am I better off just running it on the right hand side and use a shitload of loctite on the cog? thoughts?

I say they are both risky, but I would prefer my pedals falling off rather than my *cog

Last edited:

FlyingOff

Likes Bikes
Just Rota-fix (google it) your fixed cog onto the freewheel thread with loctite.

Mine hasn't come undone yet, but then again, its a beater for commuting short distances, without skids.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt

but then it (the cog) loosens as you pedal forwards... which you'll be doing a lot more of...

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shortly getting:
49 tooth chain ring
19 tooth track cog
New chain
New chainring bolts
New tyres
New rim tape

I've already got new wheels.

Revamping my bike, and saving for a new frame/fork/stem/seatpost
I rock that gearing, i find it perfect. You can climb forever with it, but also cruise at a nice pace. I tried 18t recently but it didn't climb or accelerate with the nice 'zing'. I also like the aesthetic of the big rings...

Also looking to get a new frameset with a bit more class / better fit.

Jaumet

Likes Dirt
Just Rota-fix (google it) your fixed cog onto the freewheel thread with loctite.

Mine hasn't come undone yet, but then again, its a beater for commuting short distances, without skids.
Yup, I agree, just don't go around fishtailing and you should be ok...

but then it (the cog) loosens as you pedal forwards... which you'll be doing a lot more of...
Exactly! but if he feels it loosening at least he can stop... Fantastic way to strip the thread...

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As mentioned 'rota-fixing' it is your best bet as long as you're running at least one brake. Otherwise flip flop track hubs are getting quite cheap, and it would give you peach of mind.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Anyone on here attend either of the alleycat races last night in sydney?

I rock that gearing, i find it perfect. You can climb forever with it, but also cruise at a nice pace. I tried 18t recently but it didn't climb or accelerate with the nice 'zing'. I also like the aesthetic of the big rings...

Also looking to get a new frameset with a bit more class / better fit.
Yeah, I agree. Running 50:20 atm, which is good, but only has 2(4) skid spots. 49:19, is preety similiar but with a shit load more skid spots, which when brakeless, is a very good thing

Also looking at investing in a frameset for my self bought birthday present (November). Leanng towards a Cinelli Vigorelli.