The gaming thread

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've been playing Dark Souls this last 2 weeks or rather it's been playing me.

Farkin hell it's brutal. So many occasions i've had a couple of hours of pain and suffering erased in a matter of seconds, sending me back to square one yet i keep coming back for more :crazy:

And that's just trying to get from A to B. The boss fights are a whole 'nother world of hurt!
I'm tempted to get onto this but the feedback (same as your's) is it is really hard. I think that'd spoil it for me but if the game good enough, you never know.

Wolfenstein: The New Order came out today, it's definitely fun. Graphics are nice and the mechanics are nearly spot on. I'm impressed.
I'm also keen to check this out too. The last few Wolfenstein games have been crud but this looks like a pretty good reboot. Is it just hold the trigger and kill anythign that moves or a bit of strategy too?

will2

Likes Dirt
Lately I have been playing Tom clancy's: ghost recon phantoms. It is a free to play online third person shooter. Bloody good fun.

But can't seem to stay away from the mindless shenanigans that is grand theft auto 5.

Last edited:

taquar

Likes Dirt
I'm also keen to check this out too. The last few Wolfenstein games have been crud but this looks like a pretty good reboot. Is it just hold the trigger and kill anythign that moves or a bit of strategy too?
There's a little bit of strategy, like holding more than one rifle has noticeable side effects, and your health won't regenerate to 100%, it goes to the nearest 20. The enemies do seem to be slightly intelligent too, they actually hide behind cover, and will find another route to you if you aren't careful.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Have any of you's been playing Fistful Of Frags?

Was originally a HL2 mod, but now has its own standalone version.

Pretty refreshing to have a western setting game, there's even a level set on a boat with a Piano that plays the old confederate song, which is disturbingly enjoyable.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm tempted to get onto this but the feedback (same as your's) is it is really hard. I think that'd spoil it for me but if the game good enough, you never know.
It's quite possibly one of the greatest games I have ever played. It's actually of a similar scale to Skyrim but way more challenging. In Skyrim when you've been playing for a while, a new quest usually means "Oh, will I be hacking through dozens of Draugr in an underground dungeon in this one, or will it be dozens of Falmer in an underground cave" for the hundredth time whereas a new area in Dark Souls usually means "What in the name of all that is holy are they going to throw at me now!!!" Some of the bosses are downright terrifying yet it never becomes too hard.

I'm probably one of the least patient people in the world yet I've managed to avoid throwing my controller through the TV screen so far. I think it's because you always seem to be doing better with every go. Every fight usually has you picking up something new, learning from your mistakes. You actually feel like you are progressing. Checkpoints are few and far between, dying means starting all the way back at the previous checkpoint and having the baddies respawn every time you use a checkpoint (whether you've died or not) just adds insult to injury but you soon find that you'll blitz through in minutes areas that took half a day of tears and tantrums only days before.

Optic

Likes Dirt
If your into WOW I'd recommend you check out wildstar. Been playing the beta and open beta. Best mmo I've ever played. So engaging.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
POSM, are you talking about Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2? I'm considering getting it and wondered if two is better than one?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The first one. I found it in the pre-owned bin at EB games about 6 months ago. Always been to daunted to play it before now. Will move on to #2 once I'm done with this although I might have a little breather with Watch Dogs.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The first one. I found it in the pre-owned bin at EB games about 6 months ago. Always been to daunted to play it before now. Will move on to #2 once I'm done with this although I might have a little breather with Watch Dogs.
Goctha. I just ordered it, paid $25. I'm not keen on Elder Scrolls online after reading some of the views of the PC players so this should fill the void that will open up after Watch Dogs is done. ;)

kbekus

Likes Dirt
guys, Bulletstorm! It's an old shooter (2011) that I missed, but discovered it recently and totally love it. If you like shooters in the style of Duke Nukem or Serious Sam give it a try. Very funny and tongue in cheek.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going to grab dark souls 2 tomorrow, recommend on x360 or PC platform?

- joel

Get the 360 version. The PC copy is once again a port. Which usually means, the PC release was rushed, has bad coding, bad driver support and technical bugs/glitches. Which seems to be the common trend these days with PC games. :pout:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I have posted this in the F1 thread and I will post this up in the PS3 thread too to cover al bases of gamers and applicable sources

As a gamer I have been looking at actually building a semi cockpit to use for Sim racing, buying them is just stupid like tens of thousands of dollars I don't have. I have looked a bit online and found some basic specs and some pretty cool home builds from others.
But I ham struggling to find cockpit internal dimensions. The outside if much less a concern than the inside i want the driving position/controls and cockpit inside to be accurate as possible to what realistically we would see.

Anyone who has some insight into this they would like to share would be awesome. Anyone who might have some inside information and feels its too discretionary to be disclosed publicly please PM me if that works.

I have found a CAD of the old Williams before webber left but I am assuming its costly to get a shell built from a CAD in fiberglass?
if I had the money I would buy a scaled RB9 and have it scanned into CAD than build from fiber glass but im pretty sure that would be thousands so I can cross that out, although lets be honest it would be awesome.

I figure $1500 for a play seat or RSeat is just stupid for something that is essentially a laid back seat.

Anyway I'm open to any designers, builders, fiberglass manufacturers etc to throw me information and help on this project.

p.s I'm a light weight so I will fit in to real dimensions, no worries there.

If anyone has any help please reply here http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?181200-Playstation-3-Thread/page228

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Get the 360 version. The PC copy is once again a port. Which usually means, the PC release was rushed, has bad coding, bad driver support and technical bugs/glitches. Which seems to be the common trend these days with PC games. :pout:
Except the PC version of DS2 is fine.

Zero performance issues, rock solid 60fps, no resolution issues (ala DS1) summons work flawlessly (no more GFWL), even mouse control is much improved.
Though using a controller is still preferable... the button layout for the keyboard is a bit whack.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've waited ages for Watch Dogs and now it's here. I've only put a couple of hours on it but already I love it. It's a very similar open world feel to Grand Theft Auto but your actions have consequences. The tech you use and the things you have to execute the role of the main character are great, it's a really amazing game.

I'm a huge Fallout fan. We've seen tons of stuff that Fallout 4 is happening blah blah blah but a genuine comment from one of their developers has pretty much firmed the idea that something will be shown at E3. Yay! I seriously hope it isn't an online thing and it sticks to the single player campaign, I hate the idea of doing missions akin to Elder Scrolls and Fallout with other idiots running around.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've waited ages for Watch Dogs and now it's here. I've only put a couple of hours on it but already I love it. It's a very similar open world feel to Grand Theft Auto but your actions have consequences. The tech you use and the things you have to execute the role of the main character are great, it's a really amazing game.

I'm a huge Fallout fan. We've seen tons of stuff that Fallout 4 is happening blah blah blah but a genuine comment from one of their developers has pretty much firmed the idea that something will be shown at E3. Yay! I seriously hope it isn't an online thing and it sticks to the single player campaign, I hate the idea of doing missions akin to Elder Scrolls and Fallout with other idiots running around.
Dozer, Are you playing on PC or Console? how is it running for you?
For some reason I cant get a constant 60fps..I get dips right down to 10fps. Not cool considering I am running one of the fastest single Graphics cards available. As I predicted this game is is horribly optimized for PC, Glad I did not pay for it. (Came free with a purchase, I did not pirate it fyi).
After dropping some of the settings to medium/low, I was able to get a constant 75fps. Which is ridiculous considering I am running a 1k GPU. So for those who are considering this game for PC, do not expect great performance in the graphics department.:tsk:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Dozer, Are you playing on PC or Console? how is it running for you?
For some reason I cant get a constant 60fps..I get dips right down to 10fps. Not cool considering I am running one of the fastest single Graphics cards available. As I predicted this game is is horribly optimized for PC, Glad I did not pay for it. (Came free with a purchase, I did not pirate it fyi).
After dropping some of the settings to medium/low, I was able to get a constant 75fps. Which is ridiculous considering I am running a 1k GPU. So for those who are considering this game for PC, do not expect great performance in the graphics department.:tsk:
Console all the way for me. I tried PC gaming a while back and the things you described just now are the reasons I won't go there again; far too many variables.
Have you done any of the digital trips yet? Wow, they are pretty wild!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
E3 is happening as we speak and as usual, tons of info on new titles is coming out. Keep an eye on http://www.e3expo.com/ for the latest stuff.
So far I'm impressed to say they've revealed a new Tomb Raider game, some more images for The Division (A Tom Clancy title), a new multiplayer for Rainbow Six which somehow has taken over the name of Patriots and is now called Siege and a whisper of some Star Wars Battlefront stuff. Yay!

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just putting it out there for you PC gamers, Steam is having their big Summer sale. Quite a few good games going for peanuts....