The gaming thread

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Anyone playing Arma 3 on the PC? One of my favourite games at the moment.
I was, right through Alpha and Beta stages, then a bit on the full release for a while... but I got tired of everyone only playing co-op game modes where the performance and AI are terrible.

Only popular PvP at the time was Wasteland - which PALES in comparison to ARMA 2 Wasteland due to the distinct lack of content in ARMA 3.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Battlefield Hardline

I was pretty excited to see a new BF game coming until I saw the in game footage. Why the fark would you release another game like this that will be attributed to more massacres in the US of A!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I was pretty excited to see a new BF game coming until I saw the in game footage. Why the fark would you release another game like this that will be attributed to more massacres in the US of A!
I think some of the game modes of Hardline look pretty good but it's a strange play for the Battlefield series. I assume they are just trying to get away from running a war based game every time.
I had a verbal stoush with a guy at my work who claimed video games were the reason people became mass murderers and serial killers. His points were totally driven by what ever foul dribble a bad journo had written in a bad local newspaper and it was totally opinionated. I asked him when the first murders were recorded in history and when the first video games were released. He didn't get my point until I said that humans are the problem when it comes to acts of murderous intent, not video games. To say that the idea was put into someone's mind because they were engrossed in a game is pretty wild.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
II had a verbal stoush with a guy at my work who claimed video games were the reason people became mass murderers and serial killers. His points were totally driven by what ever foul dribble a bad journo had written in a bad local newspaper and it was totally opinionated. .
Arseclowns like that inspire me to want to go out and cleanse the earth of such idiocy with sweet, sweet ultraviolence. Thankfully however I've got video games to channel my aggression through.

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought the new BF looks sick! I've never been a fan of the games but I reckon this brings a different way of gaming.. And not the usual army story line of some Asian country invading America

Keeeen for Halo though!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I think some of the game modes of Hardline look pretty good but it's a strange play for the Battlefield series.
My point exactly, this is not about a battlefield or waring parties, it's about crime. I believe GTA has that area covered!

I thought the new BF looks sick! I've never been a fan of the games but I reckon this brings a different way of gaming.. And not the usual army story line of some Asian country invading America

Keeeen for Halo though!
I bet you're a fan of GTA! lol
Seriously though, how can you not like the Battlefield series? One of the best multi-player games ever dreamed up.

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bet you're a fan of GTA! lol
Seriously though, how can you not like the Battlefield series? One of the best multi-player games ever dreamed up.
I'm not really, always enjoyed Vice city and San Andreas but other than that nope haha, Yeah top quality stuff right there!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Keeeen for Halo though!
Meh, I've tried to be interested in Halo but just can't, it's fodder. I was initially keen on seeing what Destiny will be all about but after seeing the details at E3, I'm convinced it is now just another version of Halo with some different ideas. Yawn.
Grid Autosport arrives tomorrow and the word on the street is that it goes back to it's roots and feels like the old TOCA games. Yay! I sure hope so, while I do love the Grid series, it does feel a little too arcade-y. This new version may find the good balance and create a great multi tiered series of challenges.

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meh, I've tried to be interested in Halo but just can't, it's fodder. I was initially keen on seeing what Destiny will be all about but after seeing the details at E3, I'm convinced it is now just another version of Halo with some different ideas. Yawn.
Grid Autosport arrives tomorrow and the word on the street is that it goes back to it's roots and feels like the old TOCA games. Yay! I sure hope so, while I do love the Grid series, it does feel a little too arcade-y. This new version may find the good balance and create a great multi tiered series of challenges.
Halo is quality Dozer!
I'm keen for the new Assassins Creed, although I saw a few pretty cool looking games at E3. Interesting to see how they pan out

Edit: Check this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-khZPbcGC8

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Battlefield: Hardline just makes me want a new SWAT game.

SWAT 4 was awesome in its day, shame it didn't really take off locally.
But that was back before gaming in general became a super popular thing, and when PC gaming was considered 'nerdy', haha.

Sadly, the developer is now defunct, so it's unlikely there'll ever be another sequel.

If someone else reboots it, it won't be the same.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Police Quest is a series that needs new life. I loved that shit when I was younger.

scblack

Leucocholic
The TOCA games were very good.

Car racing games worth any salt: Gran Turismo, TOCA and Colin Mcrae Rally.

Anything else might as well have been arcade crap.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com

I enjoyed the F1 series a lot on my PS2, I liked V8 Supercars and put a fair amount time into that. With racing games, I don't want to level up or earn money to build up my cars, I just want to get in and race on a track. AKA Arcade crap!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid

I find that funny, because TOCA and McRae turned into arcade crap (GRID/DiRT).

I'm really hoping DiRT 4 brings the goods.
DiRT 3 touched on bringing back classic rallying, and they said DiRT 4 will be fully back to proper rally, while spinoffs (like DiRT Showdown) will be reserved for the arcade stupidity.

As for sims, take a look at the following: iRacing, GTR (2, Evo, Race07, RaceRoom Experience), rFactor (1 or 2), Assetto Corsa, Richard Burns Rally (RSRBR mod).
You might find what you think are sims (GT/TOCA/McRae) are really just sim-like, with arcade touches. :)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I got Grid Autosport yesty and it's superb. It does play very similar to the original TOCA games. I can safely say that it's a must on any racing fans list. ;) I didn't know it until I played it but it does have Mt Panorama as well as Falcon and Commodore V8 Supercars. Thats cool but you knows what cooler? Australian V8 utes!!!!!!

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Battlefield: Hardline just makes me want a new SWAT game.

SWAT 4 was awesome in its day, shame it didn't really take off locally.
But that was back before gaming in general became a super popular thing, and when PC gaming was considered 'nerdy', haha.

Sadly, the developer is now defunct, so it's unlikely there'll ever be another sequel.

If someone else reboots it, it won't be the same.
[video=youtube;6wlvYh0h63k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wlvYh0h63k&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6 wlvYh0h63k&has_verified=1[/video]

Thankfully, we have this game coming out.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I got Grid Autosport yesty and it's superb. It does play very similar to the original TOCA games. I can safely say that it's a must on any racing fans list. ;) I didn't know it until I played it but it does have Mt Panorama as well as Falcon and Commodore V8 Supercars. Thats cool but you knows what cooler? Australian V8 utes!!!!!!
I'm getting it whenever I get back to civilisation on my time off although it'll be tough squeezing it in between riding, Dark Souls, Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs. I'm a bit annoyed they didn't release a PS4 version though. It really needs a decent driving game.

In other racing related news Gran Turismo 6 has the Ayrton Senna tribute events now. You can race 1970's go-karts, an 80's Formula 3 car and his 1985 Lotus.

I'm also a massive fan of NASCAR 2014. It's actually great fun and whilst most of the tracks are ovals, it's the 42 other cars you need to be constantly keeping an eye on especially on on or two of the tracks which are little larger than your average velodrome!

You can also customise your livery which is pretty sweet. I'm racing through the heartland of the South in a 'General Lee' inspired Chevy SS with 'Team Obamacare' emblazoned on the back.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I don't mind the NASCAR games and yeah, the car livery customization is amazing. I didn't go for anything Obama related though. ;)
Eskaton, I'm a very big fan of Tom Clancy games, especially Rainbow Six. This title has replaced Patriots which was due to come out soon. No biggy, this looks mint. I'm also very excited for The Division, that looks the goods.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm a bit annoyed they didn't release a PS4 version though. It really needs a decent driving game.

In other racing related news Gran Turismo 6 has the Ayrton Senna tribute events now. You can race 1970's go-karts, an 80's Formula 3 car and his 1985 Lotus.
I recently bought a PS3 because there were no driving games on PS4. Maybe I should have been more patient.

The Senna section is quite good on GT6, I have enjoyed it immensely.