The gaming thread

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
[video=youtube;6wlvYh0h63k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wlvYh0h63k&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6 wlvYh0h63k&has_verified=1[/video]

Thankfully, we have this game coming out.
On the downside, it's being developed by Ubisoft - who are highly known to fuck up every PC release they do (I don't play FPS on consoles - I like being able to aim swiftly and accurately).
On top of that, the gunplay looks really 'dumb'. Ubi have sucked out the 'realism' the Tom Clancy games used to be known for.

I want accurate weapons ballistics, and fairly realistic recoil in a game like this.

Oh and the weapon sounds aren't very good, they feel really flat... there's no punch, no meatiness, and it's not even loud.

I dunno, sometimes I think the people that make these games just don't know what they're doing. :/

This video also made me laugh when I watched it when E3 was on... it's soooooo scripted and just feels fake.
I know it's designed to make it look 'cool' or whatever, like everything at E3, but it still made me laugh.

The blowing through floors/walls is cool though, I'll give it that.

Last edited:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agree with you completely Ezkaton. I dont think I will ever buy another ubi game again. Have you tried 'Insurgency'? Its on sale at steam atm.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
On the downside, it's being developed by Ubisoft - who are highly known to fuck up every PC release they do (I don't play FPS on consoles - I like being able to aim swiftly and accurately).
On top of that, the gunplay looks really 'dumb'. Ubi have sucked out the 'realism' the Tom Clancy games used to be known for.

I want accurate weapons ballistics, and fairly realistic recoil in a game like this.

Oh and the weapon sounds aren't very good, they feel really flat... there's no punch, no meatiness, and it's not even loud.

I dunno, sometimes I think the people that make these games just don't know what they're doing. :/

This video also made me laugh when I watched it when E3 was on... it's soooooo scripted and just feels fake.
I know it's designed to make it look 'cool' or whatever, like everything at E3, but it still made me laugh.

The blowing through floors/walls is cool though, I'll give it that.

Yeah well it's as good as we're going to get at the moment.

Hardline is shit, and this is about the best offering.

If you think you can do better, you can rent access to the unreal engine 4.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
In May my PS4 had an issue where the disc ejected itself mid game and the drive kept making the sound that it was trying to push a disc out. I stood the machine upright and it seemed to cure it. I read later that PS4 have a small fix where you pull the cover off and adjust the manual disc eject screw. It worked a treat! I lodged an incident with Playstation and they said to keep the incident number, just in case. ;) Well, it happened again on Saturday and the screw adjustment didn't repair the issue. I called Playstation today and they've said they will cover postage and send me a new PS4 as part of my warranty. They've also said they'll include a new 12 month warranty on the machine. That's outstanding! All I have to do is take te console to the post office and they box it up and send it to SOny. I then receive a new machine after they've assessed my current problem. It's a clear admission that this is a common problem but hey, shit happens. I'm very happy with every warranty claim I've put into Sony (this will be the first for a PS4 but I've had three PS3's and two PS2's).
Anyone else getting any problems?

scblack

Leucocholic
In May my PS4 had an issue where the disc ejected itself mid game and the drive kept making the sound that it was trying to push a disc out. I stood the machine upright and it seemed to cure it. I read later that PS4 have a small fix where you pull the cover off and adjust the manual disc eject screw. It worked a treat! I lodged an incident with Playstation and they said to keep the incident number, just in case. ;) Well, it happened again on Saturday and the screw adjustment didn't repair the issue. I called Playstation today and they've said they will cover postage and send me a new PS4 as part of my warranty. They've also said they'll include a new 12 month warranty on the machine. That's outstanding! All I have to do is take te console to the post office and they box it up and send it to SOny. I then receive a new machine after they've assessed my current problem. It's a clear admission that this is a common problem but hey, shit happens. I'm very happy with every warranty claim I've put into Sony (this will be the first for a PS4 but I've had three PS3's and two PS2's).
Ive had my PS3 for 6months or so, no problems.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yeah. Watch Dogs is shit.
You don't like it? I reckon it's ace, it's a blander version of Grand Theft Auto but has some cool hacking stuff. I'm very keen to finish it 100% once I get my machine back. In the meantime, I'll start Dark Souls on PS3 and continue on with Grid.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Sony's warranty is exceptional. Got a freebie ps3 with my TV a few years back, optical drive shat itself 2 months out of warranty, called Sony, "yeah, just take it to the post office, they'll box it, and send it back." 2 weeks later new ps3 with the bigger HDD and a new 12 month warranty. If only all claims were as easy.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
You don't like it? I reckon it's ace, it's a blander version of Grand Theft Auto but has some cool hacking stuff. I'm very keen to finish it 100% once I get my machine back. In the meantime, I'll start Dark Souls on PS3 and continue on with Grid.
It's like the Assassin's Creed games. A sandbox that on first glance looks amazingly intricate and detailed but within 5 minutes of gameplay turns out to be hollow, generic and stuffed with retarded AI.

Whilst I'm enjoying wreaking merry hell on the citizens of Chicago, the storyline is a chore, the driving physics are like pulling teeth and the much-touted claim that every NPC had their own unique life was shown to be utter bullshit after about half an hour of seeing the same hobbies, interests and secrets show up.

Good luck with Dark Souls. It's ace!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Yeah well it's as good as we're going to get at the moment.

Hardline is shit, and this is about the best offering.

If you think you can do better, you can rent access to the unreal engine 4.
Unfortunately I am not skilled in game development, but I'd love to be in control of game direction... so many ideas and thoughts on how a game should be, and nowhere for them to go!

Skydome

Unfortunately I am not skilled in game development, but I'd love to be in control of game direction... so many ideas and thoughts on how a game should be, and nowhere for them to go!
It can be frustrating at the best of times, but with access to the unreal forums and many great tutorials on the youtube's, it's more possible now than it ever was in the past to get into game developing.

If you ever decide to give it ago, be aware, gamer's are picky little cunts.

I kinda want to get into game developing too, I think it would be totally sick to have a new downhill game (I think many of us have played downhill dominaiton into oblivion) with up to date graphics and proper god damned physics, oh, and multi bloody player.

Skydome

Theres a new MTB game in development which is showing some promise , the current version is a bit buggy but its playable.
http://youtu.be/8s03zPfL-KA

I've been playing a lot of Spintires lately. Very addictive and heaps of fun just to piss around with if you get bored with the tasks in game :D
http://youtu.be/c_OjBylleA8

Both of these are PC only at this stage
Eh looks alright.

But I'd like one with a learning curve plus some sort of online play and using actual tracks around the place.

Would be nice.

It would look even nicer in the unreal engine 4.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Theres a new MTB game in development which is showing some promise , the current version is a bit buggy but its playable.
http://youtu.be/8s03zPfL-KA
I've got that, and it's absolute garbage... haha.

It controls so badly and feels very awkward to play.

As for DH games, I was playing a mobile game called 'Bike Mayhem' which kept me entertained for a while.
The tilt is a little floaty, but otherwise it's not too bad.
[video=youtube;BP_KarUYZVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_KarUYZVM[/video]

Skydome

Which is why we need a proper downhill game on a proper full featured engine with decent physics and shit.

I mean props to them for trying, but if it has issues like that I don't think I'd bother with it.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've kept my PS2 and the only game I have on it is Downhill Domination. It's still way cool! Over the top but cool nonetheless.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Console as a HDR

Hey gamers,

I am curious to know whether you can record live t.v on a PS4 or Xbox? Basically to act as a HD recorder - so record one channel and watch another.

My dvd player has died so was looking to upgrade to a dvd player / hd recorder and then thought maybe I could do this with a PS4 or something as the son wants a PS4 or Xbox anyway.