The gaming thread

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Having great fun in Besiege. It's a great little physics simulator where you solve puzzles by building siege engines. Kinda like morbid technic lego. Win.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got a copy of F1 2016 (PS4) they want to offload? Will pay cash monies!

I'm having no luck finding a copy in stores...PS store is $99...JB Hifi 'should be' $49, if they had it in stock! Grrrrr!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Anyone got a copy of F1 2016 (PS4) they want to offload? Will pay cash monies!

I'm having no luck finding a copy in stores...PS store is $99...JB Hifi 'should be' $49, if they had it in stock! Grrrrr!
I grabbed it recently with a gift voucher. It's much better than the 2015 effort and the car handling is pretty good. Try EB Games site https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-218130-F1-2016---Limited-Edition-PlayStation-4. If you want a game with great car physics, get Dirt and Project Cars. Both have sequels coming out this year but you can get them so cheap just now. They are probably the best driving games released, ever.
If you get stuck and can't find F1 2016, I'll sell you my copy. ;)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Prey looks good! Launch prices are always a bit rich for me though, so might wait until its around $50

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm thoroughly addicted to Battlegrounds. Ive only played solo so far, but its intense anyway.
I played that once, but I think I'm too... 'old-minded' for multiplayer now.
Everybody just annoys me, haha.

Been getting through the new Dark Souls 3 DLC instead... which is nice and challenging so far!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Steam sale is on at the moment. Grabbed Wasteland 2 for the laptop. Pretty great little RPG - but has a shitload of numbers to manage.

And recently picked up Far Cry 4 and Wolfenstein New Order for $15 each in the EB Games sale (both have new games in series coming out soon)- only played a few hours of Far Cry so far.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I've been playing driving games since I picked up a Logitech G29 a while back, and when I can find time to actually get stuck in. F1 2016 has been fun, and I picked up Project Cars on sale for $13 in the Steam sales the other day - haven't played a whole lot yet, but flinging a BMW M4 around Bathurst has been fun. Gonna need to upgrade graphics to get the most out of it though.

My question is, has anyone had a chance to play driving games using VR? Project Cars has VR support, and I believe will have even better support in 2. Not sure about F1 2017 yet, not looking promising though. It's one of the things that makes me most excited about VR - either driving games, or flight sims. Being able to look around corners, being able to actually use peripheral vision...I won't live long enough to experience a holodeck, but racing in VR is a decent compromise!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Haven't used VR, but I've got a TrackIR, which is a head tracking camera that was used before this VR craze.
Used it in racing sims, truck sims, military combat sims, flight sims... it's just awesome being able to look around in the game. It really adds to the situational awareness and overall visibility.

I can only imagine VR would be better again... for immersion anyway, but not being able to see your surroundings and REAL steering wheel or joystick, etc. may detract from your abilities.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I use VR on Playstation for Dirt. It isn't a HD screen but it is so immersive. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
I've been playing driving games since I picked up a Logitech G29 a while back, and when I can find time to actually get stuck in. F1 2016 has been fun, and I picked up Project Cars on sale for $13 in the Steam sales the other day - haven't played a whole lot yet, but flinging a BMW M4 around Bathurst has been fun. Gonna need to upgrade graphics to get the most out of it though.

My question is, has anyone had a chance to play driving games using VR? Project Cars has VR support, and I believe will have even better support in 2. Not sure about F1 2017 yet, not looking promising though. It's one of the things that makes me most excited about VR - either driving games, or flight sims. Being able to look around corners, being able to actually use peripheral vision...I won't live long enough to experience a holodeck, but racing in VR is a decent compromise!
you dont quite get peripheral vision with VR yet as its only about 110 degrees at most, but as you move your head around it tracks. i have a vive that i should probably use more for how much it cost

Calvin27

Eats Squid

I played project cars in VR and it is truely something. We ran this on a low end GPU for VR (480) as it was a mates portable rig. System was HTC Vive. My thoughts:
- Needs a beast GPU because the resolution was not fine enough. A few time on bathurst I msised the brake marker because the resolution into the horiszon wasn't too good.
- You don't get much use of peripheral vision playing against AI. Against humans in destruction derby mode however is excellent.
- You really get a feel for the cars speed. I hit the wall at almost full speed and my body jerked forwards. When I turn my body leans with it. Feel very real.
- I get sick after a few laps. I think it's the mix of my brain thinking I'm moving and my body not actually moving. I can play other VR games no problem. Just racing seems to make me sick. Apparently this is a thing.
- The one thing that stood out for me is the braking simulation is rubbish on project cars (and assetto corsa). Most of the time it's really hard to tell you have locked up. On other games like gt6 it's really obvious and in real life there is a lot more feedback to let you know.
- I think a g29 is lacking when put in a VR situation. I heard better things about thrustmaster.

Anyhow I'd recommend giving it a shot, but don't go shell out big dollars until you have tried it. The other games are really fun as well.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Awesome info guys!

Yeah, I don't have the cash to splash out on VR yet anyway, especially as I would have to upgrade my GPU. Luckily my CPU / MoBo / RAM were updated recently so at least it'd just be that one component. Maybe I should be on the lookout for 2nd hand gear from people who couldn't handle it!

I've never been an early adopter (don't have the funds to be on the bleeding edge!), so hopefully by the time I can hop on board resolution will be higher and there will be some answers to niggling issues. I would love to hop in and give it a go, I really hope I don't get the motion sickness that some people do. That seems to be something where you either handle it, or want to puke.

Ideate

Onward is the only game that has impressed me in VR so far and it was made by some bloke in his garage (if I remember correctly). It'll be good when more people take up VR and force developers to make more/better games (or vice versa).

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
The price point is going to have to come down a lot before it reaches critical mass. It's going to be an interesting one to see play out, it's a bit of a catch 22. Without quality games to support it, people aren't going to invest in VR. Without people investing in VR, the price point won't come down. Without the price point coming down, developers aren't going to invest in VR as a primary feature - it'll just be "supported". With a number of different VR systems out there it's gotta make it harder to develop for them too. With some systems you can do more with your hands than others, so how do you develop a game that can use that functionality, while also catering for players on platforms that don't have that level of interaction?

Who knows...maybe the first time I have a decent game in a VR world it'll make me want to hurl my guts up and all these questions will become irrelevant!

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
- I get sick after a few laps. I think it's the mix of my brain thinking I'm moving and my body not actually moving. I can play other VR games no problem. Just racing seems to make me sick. Apparently this is a thing.
Curious about whether you've ever suffered from car / air sickness? I don't know whether there's actually any link to getting sick in VR games though.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Curious about whether you've ever suffered from car / air sickness? I don't know whether there's actually any link to getting sick in VR games though.
Nope, I'm generally really good. The only time I have been really sick is on a wooden boat sailing across bass strait - kind of a given. I wasn't fully about to puke but felt uncomfortable. My other mate was almost hurling. Either way though we kept playing the whole night, just kept it to 2 laps each.

Anyway about half way through we decided it would be fun to make it 4d and rock the seat and tilt it etc. This fixed it surprisingly even though it wasn't perfectly syncd.