The gaming thread

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Trying to get through the 3 Metro chapters (2033, Last Light, Exodus) on Game Pass while I still have my 3 months for $1. Hard to find time, but I'm a few hours into the 2nd installment now.

It's one of those classic eastern European based ones, in that it is very obscure and almost framed as a complete antithesis to the rest of the game play that is encouraged for the rest of the game.

After all this Fallout 76 stuff I went back and started playing New Vegas again.
Best way I can describe it is that Bethesda are like someone trying to explain a complex mathematical concept that they've only learned by rote, against someone who understands the base concept. It feels like everything Bethesda have done with the Fallout IP is tick two boxes "Post apocalyptic, 1950's schtick" and then moved on.
It's not something that's obvious until you see it done properly, and then you can't help but note it's absence.

Bethesda do the large world exploration stuff reasonably well, but their "RPG" choices just aren't choices and their stories suck. It's a collect/kill quest every time, and they don't factor in what would happen if the player decides to do something else. So you choices of "yes I'll help" and "no I wont" boil down to "Yes I'll help you right now" and "i'll help you later after being a dick to you now". Admittedly, the Bethesda titles are kind of at their best when they're not trying to force a story, when they just have their "exploring" adventure stuff that you stumble upon and aren't following a shitty compass marker to drive your experience.

Their characters and situations aren't even close to the likes of "The Master" at the end of the first game. They don't seem to understand the Brotherhood of Steel, they just shoe horn them in because it wouldn't be Fallout without them. Even the Super Mutant's are just an underappreciated bullet sponges added to the game without any of the complexity and interest that the non-Bethesda titles have.

Rant over, New Vegas is still amazing.
I'll agree that the story lines are a bit meh but that first moment I crawled out of the vault in fall out 3 armed with nowt but a spud gun was one of the best gaming experiences I've had

no idea where to go, everything can hurt me, best to stay out of sight and gather some things for survivals sake.

Now many hours later I'm the Abraxo King ( I tend to hoard everything, just coz)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I bought Metro Exodus during a recent gaming lull and ditched it after two hours of cut scenes and four minutes of gameplay. Looks good, playstyle is kind of lame but I see the attraction. I picked up God of War in Sony's sale last week and although it isn't my kind of thing, I really like it.
E3 was a bit bare but a release date for Cyberpunk made it great.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I bought Metro Exodus during a recent gaming lull and ditched it after two hours of cut scenes and four minutes of gameplay. Looks good, playstyle is kind of lame but I see the attraction.
Did you play the first two, or jump in at this one?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Why are women in computer games that involve fighting always dressed like hookers in a brothel?