The GoPro HD All You Need To Know Thread

faz

Likes Dirt
I'm tossing up the idea of getting a camera, the GoPro fits the price but i'm concerned about helmet mounts and re-usability. I'll be mounting it to a full face helmet for the filming of BMX track runs at several events where I would be approaching a rider to where it. How easily removable are the stick on mounts? And how much are they as I would assume I would need over the course of a season several which would be used and then ripped off and thrown away.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
I haven't come across any bad cards in retail stores like Wow or Big W but I do suggest you get a card that is a class 10. On the card it has a number with a circle around it signifying what class it is. I've used some types before but class 10 is the go. ;)
Cheers man. Anybody else got any suggestions?

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
i'm concerned about helmet mounts and re-usability. I'll be mounting it to a full face helmet for the filming of BMX track runs at several events where I would be approaching a rider to where it. How easily removable are the stick on mounts? And how much are they as I would assume I would need over the course of a season several which would be used and then ripped off and thrown away.
Mate, I don't think they are supposed to be removed... The adhesive mounts are somewhat strong and definetly wouldn't be easy to remove them - after all their purpose is to hold the GoPro and mount in place. If you are considering replacements for the near future, check out what TBSM has to offer.

An alternative to lending it to a rider's helmet is, simply to use duct tape! Duct tape can't go wrong... Seen a handful of riders use duct tape to secure they're GoPro on their helmets.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
In regards to re using a GoPro mount on different helmets, my mate uses these 3m pull tabs. He sticks the tabs to the helmet then puts the GoPro mount on top of them, this way he can just pull the tabs without wrecking the paint on his helmet, But now that I think of it I'm not sure how he reuses the mount.

fullsize.jpg

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where can one buy an ergonomic stick/metal thingy to mount the camera on the end? Preferably one about a foot long, and able to be shipped to Newcastle within 7 days (including the Australia day long weekend, which makes it more like 3 days.). Actually, even some more mounts would be nice...

So with that in mind, a store would probably be my best bet. Are there any retail chains that sell GP accessories?

Gopro seat post mount?

Anyone run with the seat post mount? I tried the other day but found my inner legs rubbing on the knob! ( of the camera of course)! any one else tried this? Have all the other mounts but thought I would try this out with no success.

NS Capital Man

Likes Dirt
on the hd hero 2, does anyone know if there is a big delay from the time you press the button to the time it actually takes the still photo?

g3rg

Likes Bikes
Anyone run with the seat post mount? I tried the other day but found my inner legs rubbing on the knob! ( of the camera of course)! any one else tried this? Have all the other mounts but thought I would try this out with no success.
I found this when it was mounted on my fixie during my commute, but on my mtb it didn't seem to be a problem. I think its because my Specialized has a low slung top tube, so the gopro was lower down and away from my thighs. So, I guess your solution is buy a new bike :)

pmitch

Likes Bikes
This is the place to post any input you have to contribute to riders considering potential purchases and current owners.

I'll be adding the settings that I have found work best when uploading to Vimeo.

In the meantime here is my zipline rig that I have put together. I'm just waiting on my line to arrive so I can start testing it out. If you're interested I can post links to provide further information on the parts used.

Anyone else rigged up anything similar yet?
Awesome mount. I have been meaning to build one with a motor and a couple of servos (ie: remote control)

Did you know there is a GoPro RAM Mount adaptor available?

41cSXLUmSQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://amzn.to/B007ZPDEF6

Vedsy

Likes Dirt
I'm tossing up the idea of getting a camera, the GoPro fits the price but i'm concerned about helmet mounts and re-usability. I'll be mounting it to a full face helmet for the filming of BMX track runs at several events where I would be approaching a rider to where it. How easily removable are the stick on mounts? And how much are they as I would assume I would need over the course of a season several which would be used and then ripped off and thrown away.
They really aren't meant to be taken off. I've just left all my mounts on my various helmets, that's the best way, but on the few occassions that I've accidentally stuck one on crooked or in the wrong spot somewhere, I've use fishing line to cut through the sticky pad, then windex to get the residue off the surface.

Obviously once you've done that you can't re-stick it. There is a guy ebay selling the 3m adhesive in long lengths so you can cut your own pieces of the tape and re-use the cut off mounts. I've done that now and they've been fine. Much cheaper option than buying a new bag of the mounts

Vedsy

Likes Dirt
I've tried it, I like the shot you get because you can see the fork working, but I wear boardies when I ride and being reasonably baggy, they keep getting in the way.

pmitch

Likes Bikes
I run the seatpost mount all the time. I run it quite low on the seatpost though. In the wet it get's covered with mud, but it get's an awesome view of the rear suspension working.

Here's an example.

[video=youtube;Qw-2VtVVY_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw-2VtVVY_U[/video]

rone

Eats Squid
Has anyone got the 3 yet?
Just ordered my Hero 3 Silver. Held off for a while, then looked at a Contour HD, then Hero 2, but the Wifi and the downloadable app saw me swayed to the 3.

$335 shipped from the US on ebay. Santa has also got me one of these:

oasiz gopro.jpg

...in a less gnarly colour

I went into a few shops today looking for a Hero 3 Black edition. Was told their wouldn't be stock available until January as there was already a waiting list.

Tristan D

Likes Bikes
I've got a hero 3 black, has been able to use the online update thing on their website?? Been trying all day and no luck :/

I was able to update the firmware, I think I did have an issue using Chrome though, try a Internet Explorer.
I ended up just getting the silver edition as I couldn't wait for the Black to be available. It's awesome!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been having trouble on the gopro site too. Seems very slow. Maybe lots of Christmas presents are getting updated, going to leave mine for a day or two and go and play.