The Gran Turismo 6 thread

driftking

Wheel size expert
Can you hook those Logitech setups to a computer? Or are they purely console specific?
Yes you can they are computer compatible given you have the appropriate hardware and they are ps2 & ps3 compatible. Im guessing once the ps4 comes out they will release software to make the cross over or they will introduce a new wheel.

bardynt

Back in his day.....
i was thinking of getting a console

The only problem i see is graphics isnt very good ,considering i have played mostly pc games were the graphics are as good the ps4 is know about five years ago.

There catering for console market so not pushing the pc games standard up at all. It meant that my 5 year old computer could play any pc game out there till just last year

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
i was thinking of getting a console

The only problem i see is graphics isnt very good ,considering i have played mostly pc games were the graphics are as good the ps4 is know about five years ago.

There catering for console market so not pushing the pc games standard up at all. It meant that my 5 year old computer could play any pc game out there till just last year
I guess it does depends what games your trying to play but iv never looked at my ps3 and thought wow this sucks. There are lots of amazingly well designed and detailed games now. Also a console is what 300 and a decent gaming computer can set you 1500 anywhere upto 10k.

I'm a console gamer though I'm probably a little bias and iv spent limited time on pc.
However I won't argue the graphic drivers and potential in pc is much higher, however console games will soon be written in 1080p too so the quality will jump up.

It really depends what games you playing and how they are written if a PC will look better.
The high detailed games are most definately better on PC.

Keep in mind the ps3 was released in 2006. Consoles have big gaps so they do have good longevity.

For most the console is good enough.
However I'd still like a PC gamer if I had the money to pay for a decent one.

I agree the ps4 has mid level out dated tech its really not as impressive as it should be, I also hate that they took away backwards compatibility after the first gen ps3.

Cons of PC
-needs much more room
-cost more
-power usage more

Pros
-better graphics
-can alter game with code to fix bugs
-easier to upgrade parts

Ps3 cons
-lesser graphics
-no backwards compatibility so less games

Ps3 pros
-smaller space
-cheaper
-still has good graphics were not talking bad.

Neutral points.
-consoles should soon be written in 1080p
-console graphics are noticably different in games but not a deal breaker for most
-PC will be written in higher quality
-PC monitors seem to always be ahead of tv. (Ie. there are 4k resolution monitors)

I think you get what you pay for a 300console is great for what you pay.
A gaming machine is much more expansive and you get what you pay for there too.

Last edited:

camo71

Likes Dirt
Scored GT 6 on Saturday though it locks up / jams after any race in the goodwood series and the console has to be restarted , glitch in the game or just my disc ? Anyone else ? It's the series that unlocks after first license test from memory

adr8

Squid

0psi

Eats Squid
Scored GT 6 on Saturday though it locks up / jams after any race in the goodwood series and the console has to be restarted , glitch in the game or just my disc ? Anyone else ? It's the series that unlocks after first license test from memory
Nope. I've been through the first lot of Goodwood and the second lot just opened up, all works fine.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have done all four Goodwood Tiers, and yeah no issues. Might be your disc? Maybe the playstation? I know the early PS3's did suffer from disc drive failures, mine did. That could be a big jump though.

Anyone think we will have the Rotorburn Race Series that were set up for GT5? They were fun races.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had my first good session of GT6 last night - so far so good!

My only gripe is the opposition cars crawling through the apex of corners, their speed isn't consistent!

camo71

Likes Dirt
Have done all four Goodwood Tiers, and yeah no issues. Might be your disc? Maybe the playstation? I know the early PS3's did suffer from disc drive failures, mine did. That could be a big jump though.

Anyone think we will have the Rotorburn Race Series that were set up for GT5? They were fun races.
Thanks guys , it's the goodwood speed series you get the invite to early in the game with the alpine , x bow and dino , I can play them all though it jams after each race and won't store as being played, couldn't find anything on google so I'll try an exchange game , just got the console to so its new , apart from that , a tidy upgrade from ps2 / gt4

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Completed the lunar module 'races' last night - very strange concept! But an easy way to bank some $!

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Who knows where to get a PS3 + GT6 bundle. I saw an ad for it a week or so ago and forget where it was.

I have googled and came up empty.

Also, how necessary is the 500gb console over the 12gb one?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Who knows where to get a PS3 + GT6 bundle. I saw an ad for it a week or so ago and forget where it was.

necessary depends on what your doing with it, if you store music and games on it its fairly necessary,save files can get large depending on the game and all games will require a install amount. Many games also have the option for a semi load feature in where the game installs part of it onto the system to reduce loading times. I guess it depends how big of a gamer you are and what you are planning on using the system for. I believe you can get 60, 120 and 300 gb consoles too, not sure if they are still around but personally i wouldn't go below a 60 just to avoid any issue overtime.

Also hardrives tend to get laggy when they start getting to 90% full, at least I know computers can have this issue.

Whats the price difference between the consoles?

adr8

Squid

I wouldn't get the 12 GB version as some games like GT6 take up about 5-6 GB of harddrive space just to install the game. As the next gen consoles are being released there will be plenty of sales of discounted PS3 & Xbox 360 in the next couple of months. I bought a back-up PS3 160GB slim from Big W for $148 about a month ago.

Just saw a sale from Big W for the Xbox 360 250GB with 4 games for $188 :shocked: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/126617

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Haven't trawled through this whole thread (lazy) but does anyone know if the 600,000 cars promised in GT6; how much of them actually are new?

Just thought it was pretty cheeky of GT5 to offer "over 1,000" new cars but only a quarter or so were the "premium" ones with interiors, damage, and prettyness. The rest were straight ports from GT4 - some of which looked well shit.

I don't care how nerdy this question sounds. It's important.

As a side note; I've been sad enough to play both GT5 and Forza 4 to death (uni holidays) and found Forza to be appreciably better in every respect - from both a simulator perspective and "depth" of the game. Forza gets better and more rewarding the more you play it, whereas I found GT5 to have the opposite effect. Also the PS3 controller is pretty crap these days. Hopefully that gets changed with the next one....

0psi

Eats Squid
Anyone done the karting races?

First lot of them seemed fairly easy but the second one seems near impossible, any ideas?

Gripo

Eats Squid

Was told the same thing 12G being marginal for GT last Xmas...so

I hit up the local JBHiFi last week asking if they'd bundle the $299 500G + GT6 instead of the advertised game.....dude said no problem, but I walked away.

Just not sure I want to commit to life on the couch for the next few months!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Bought it just before Xmas along with a proper G27 racing rig. Overall I'm a bit miffed at the fact that Polyphony STILL haven't sorted out the engine noise and damage etc. and most of the cars are bloody ports from GT3 - And look it! The only aussie cars are same shitty old Ford Falcon V8 supercar and the Commodore and Monaro from GT4. Needless to say neither have in-cockpit modes and look like they are ports from a PS2. Why bother mapping out Bathurst if you aren't going to include the proper cars to race on it!?

Still, its giving me a big smile every time I play it and to be honest there are no other games that come close for fun with the steering wheel. Forza is hampered by the X-Box's incompatibility with any steering wheel other than the ridiculously expensive Fanatec ones and apparently the latest one is geared towards forcing you to spend real money to buy cars. GT6 does have that facility too but I've found that they race rewards (particularly the seasonal challenges) are more than enough to keep you stocked up with flash cars without having to resort to endless repetitive grinding or getting the wallet out.

Anyone done the karting races?

First lot of them seemed fairly easy but the second one seems near impossible, any ideas?
You just need to upgrade from the Junior kart.
If you go into the Gran Turismo dealership you'll find a whole range of karts -including a 125cc 6-speed beast.

0psi

Eats Squid
You just need to upgrade from the Junior kart.
If you go into the Gran Turismo dealership you'll find a whole range of karts -including a 125cc 6-speed beast.
It won't let you, you have to use the 100cc cart for the second kart challenge. The junior karts were pretty easy to drive, as are the Red Bull 125 karts but the 100 carts are fricken impossible. It seems like it wouldn't be too bad with a wheel (and more importantly pedals) but it's ridiculous with a controller. You need a bit of power to make it corner but 2% too much power and it just spins.

As for grinding I've found the second Red Bull challenge the best. With the log in bonus at 200% it's about $160k every 6 or 7 minutes.

My tip for those just starting, get the KTM X-Bow R. I've used that car so much.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
A wheel + pedals setup is essential for GT. End of story.

You just cant get the same level of control for cornering, braking and acceleration that you need to be competitive in anything above A license (particularly in a FR car)
Given the cost of a PS3, the price of the game and the amount of hours spent playing it, it's not that high a cost for a good quality basic wheel like the Driving Force GT and the benefits are immense. GT and similar titles feel no longer like 'games' but almost like true simulators and with the level of graphics quality these days it's like having your very own 'Daytona Racing' in your living room (only a 1000 times better looking)

I've still got my Driving Force GT attached to the ironing board as well as my newly acquired G27 racing rig which has turned 2-player split-screen racing into an absolute hoot. It's like being in an arcade but with a beer-fridge!