The hardtail riding thread

Macca8530

Likes Dirt
The geax tattoo lights I've got now aren't too bad, abit slippery and i just kept getting too many flats. Hopefully my tabletops will arrive soon so i can see how they go. I didn't know about the maxxis dth. They look pretty good.

NorcoManik

Likes Bikes
im riding more park now so i lost a few things, would like to start riding street more but not so motivated to ride by myself when most street spots are an hour away.

the knobblies on sb8s flex too much for park i found, theyre too soft for my liking. for street im running bombtrack helix tyres and while theyre heavy, they grip really well and roll fast.

dth is the best all rounder, but towards the end of their life they puncture so easily. i was getting flats almost every ride when i switched them over. MAC2s were going for about $60 when i got mine, but good luck finding them anywhere, sold out in pretty much every online store. they also wear out pretty fast, if youve got boatloads of money to blow on tyres their great, less flats than the dth and very fast and grippy.

why cant they make aitkens and hawks in 26" :(
I'll be back in sydney for 4 months starting November so street is happening!

mlucko

Likes Dirt
I have a question for you kind people who run a Fox 36 Float...

I'm running a 36 Float on my Amp and it feels pretty soft atm.. I just got it back from repairs at NSD and put it together just now and the initial carpark test of my fork feels soft..

Dont get me wrong it feels buttery smooth all through the 110mm travel that I've got it set to. I have the LSC and the HSC nearly all the way up and about 80psi in the chamber, so it should be fairly stiff, but its not really..

So I was just wondering about all of your set ups, ie. HSC/LSC and PSI

Cheers
Matt

mitch41

Likes Bikes
I have a question for you kind people who run a Fox 36 Float...

I'm running a 36 Float on my Amp and it feels pretty soft atm.. I just got it back from repairs at NSD and put it together just now and the initial carpark test of my fork feels soft..

Dont get me wrong it feels buttery smooth all through the 110mm travel that I've got it set to. I have the LSC and the HSC nearly all the way up and about 80psi in the chamber, so it should be fairly stiff, but its not really..

So I was just wondering about all of your set ups, ie. HSC/LSC and PSI

Cheers
Matt
A while back I had someone recommend for setting up forks for trails you use your body weight +20 and the number you get is the PSI you should put in your forks, so for example if I am 75kg +20 gives me 95, so I would put 95 psi in. I guess for setting up dirt jumpers maybe add 40 to your weight and see how it goes?

Before I bought pikes for my NS, I used a set of 32 floats and from memory i had them set just over 100psi with medium HSC and LSC settings and rebound off and I found that pretty firm but still using most of the travel on big landings...

mlucko

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys for your advice!

My issue is that now twice I've broken the negative spring perch twice now and had to send it to NS to get repaired, and Aaron said to me that its unusual for someone to break 2 perches so quickly, and said it may have something to do with the pressure I'm running. Admittedly i have run them at 120psi before and they were waaay stiffer but Aaron from NSD and my gut says that 120psi is too much... Im 70kgs so by mitch's theory i should be right at 95psi but is that too much?
I've looked everywhere to no avail, but does anybody know how much pressure Fox say is the limit?

mitch41

Likes Bikes
I was riding park and street alot at one point and couldn't lock mine out, so i ran around 140 psi for a while until i realised how stupid it was, but they held up fine

mlucko

Likes Dirt
the 36 float isnt really a high pressure fork, it is, afterall, a AM/FR fork designed to be plush 100 is pushing it, have you tried thicker oil?
I havent just yet but I'm gonna get some oil tomorrow, so hopefully this will be just a last resort before I send it away...

I was riding park and street alot at one point and couldn't lock mine out, so i ran around 140 psi for a while until i realised how stupid it was, but they held up fine
I really only ride DJs and a little bit of skatepark but even when I had them with 120 it felt way hard, so I cant imagine what 140psi was like!

mb63

Likes Bikes
Finally finished it

Thought I'd post up my Last now its finished, taking it for a run today to see what I need to change - hopefully just heavier oil.

I'll ditch the front brake eventually but atm I'm an old guy weighing too much with a wrist on the mend so confidence needs to be built back up.

Anyways.......................Last Cord with a mix of NS, Octane 1, Profile, Schwalbe, Funn and Manitou, I like it, don't be too harsh.

IMG_0333.jpgIMG_0335.jpgIMG_0331.jpg

i still ride street, park and trails, both mtb and bmx. i still ride or dig most days, im just not on here much. between work and bikes i dont have much time to be on here.

got a freecoaster wheel for the 26" now and for some reason its easier than riding a freecoaster on a bmx, really liking it at the moment. its a bitch commute on (cant pedal hard or the bearings will blow, really slow engagement) but once you get to a spot its really fun. also a silent bike is fun to ride in bowls and at trails.

i thought you quit riding hardtails a while ago callan? if you dont want to keep riding sell it, if you want to get back into it hit me up i ride most nights!