The official running thread

cressa

Likes Dirt
Ran barefoot from a friends house less than a km this morning to get my car from where we left it the night before. Was quite interesting. I was running differently to how I think I normally run. I am guilty of heal strikes in runners but barefoot I had a fore foot strike and felt lighter on my feet. Calves were definitely working harder but I had just rolled out of bed with no warm up or given my body any warning whatsoever.

In conclusion, I am pleased to report, everything that has been discussed in this thread in regards to technique seems to be bang on. Nice!

Think I am going to look at a pair of Pure Flows or similar.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Running tips for beginners?

Has anyone got any good tips for beginner runners? I got sucked in to doing a 3km run next week. I know its not that far but I don't run - ever! I jumped on the treadmills (stretched first and yes I know treadmills are alot different to actual running) and managed to run 2kms okay, I was a bit out of breath but the reason I stopped was because my leg muscles tensed up and I started cramping.

Obviously its to late to train properly but any tips to help me push through would be great.

Thanks in advance.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
find a pace that you can go at (probably 5-7 minutes a k), so start off very easy, keep with the slow runners, then as you progress do mini surges just to keep you going (so look ahead to a runner or sign) and think, I'll push a bit to that then back off, recover. if you could find a local athletic track and do 7.5 laps that's your 3k.

if all else fails, start limping mid race to save a bit of face.

cressa

Likes Dirt
Bryce88 how long do you have? I'd probably suggest doing some really easy running straight away. Maybe two days on one off. Depending when you have to run you maybe be able to do this cycle three times.

Don't try and run fast or long. I'd say run an easy km, stop and stretch for 5-10 mins and then repeat a couple of times.. Basically you are not going to increase your fitness in a week but you could attempt to condition your legs for the work. You will probably want to give your legs a two day rest prior to the run, maybe a brisk walk or super easy jog the day before to keep things moving if it feels ok.

Good luck let us know how it goes. 3kms is not very far even for a beginner (unless you're a pack a day smoker or heavily overweight).

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice guys.

mtb101: I like the idea about limping mid race and saving face - I will remember that incase I knock up! I am aiming to finish in <25mins.

cressa: run is next tuesday so literally have a week and thankfully I'm not overweight or a smoker :eagerness:

shakes

Likes Dirt
Purchased some new shoes this week... My girlfriend forced me to head to 'active feet' to get sized properly. I don't understand enough about their logic or sports/running physiology to know if they sent me on the right path or not. But a short 30min jog tonight the shoes seem pretty comfy.

What are people thoughts on the whole process of buying shoes ?

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have mixed feelings on running shoe shops - some are good and some are bad. Hopefully they will have given you shoes suitable to your bio-mechanics. Like most things once you have found shoes you like then cheaper options can be found online.

For those who might like longer runs - North Face 100 entries open on Thursday. Pretty cool event, big numbers compared to most ultras. I'll be coming out of running retirement for it.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are people thoughts on the whole process of buying shoes ?
I've bought shoes on recommendations from multiple podiatrists, running 'experts' and 16 year old's working at Athlete's Foot. Retrospectively, I've never found one to be particularly better than another. I think I now run in Asic's Landreth's, which I got from AF. I've done a few hundred km in them and haven't had any issues.

I'm sure someone will have a conflicting story though, just find what works for yourself.

Dafatkid

Likes Bikes
Find a shoe that is not comfy and fits properly and keep using the same model of shoe.

I find chopping and changing shoes is bad for me.

TNF 100 that's a serious run. Good luck with that.

kooga

Likes Bikes
North face 100 is definatly on the list to archive.
With regards to Active Feet, i know they take care in making sure you get the best shoe possible. They prescribe shoes according to how your foot is functioning during gait. So if they observe a foot over pronating they will provide a shoe with more pronation control(Generally show you amount of grey on side of mid sole of the shoe which is more dense) and changes your gait. If you go in and tell them pain or problems they will be likely to figure out what shoe you need. I know most if not all staff are at least studying second year podiatry.

With regards to the 3km fun run, you should be able to complete it even if you just walk. the key word is FUN, surround yourself with people to talk to and 3km will go in no time. I did the 14km city to sea last weekend severly hungover and it is amazing how fast it went just because i was jogging and talking with friends,

Bermshot

Banned
Thanks for the advice guys.

mtb101: I like the idea about limping mid race and saving face - I will remember that incase I knock up! I am aiming to finish in <25mins.

cressa: run is next tuesday so literally have a week and thankfully I'm not overweight or a smoker :eagerness:
Kooga 'have fun' whilst- Opsi 'check stlyle'.

jhb

Likes Bikes
Any other Tasmanians have a crack at the point to pinnacle on the weekend? This was the first official race I have competed in, longest distance I have ever run (let alone run up hill) and it was way more fun than I thought. So good having other runners/walkers getting around you, cheering you on etc. Highly recommend it to anyone for next year.

My result:
1:51:17
37th place
Surprised myself there! I hope hoping for around 2 hours, so Im a happy (sore) chappy this week.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice, I've heard good things about that race.

The Cradle Mtn run is also an awesome race, pretty hard to get an entry though.

And 3 Peaks! One of the most memorable races I've ever done - a multi day running and sailing race held over Easter.

Some good running in Tassie for sure.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Anyone have a preference on what time of the day they're running and why?

Currently doing 3 and 5 km. The 3km has pretty much been my regular run 2/3 per week have started 5km in the last month or so. I'm going much quicker in the evening on my 3km run (11:20evening 11:50morning) and faster in the morning for my 5km (22:30morning 23:30evening.
I can pretty much only run at these times due to the heat. Sunset seems to be about 32'C mornings are a bit cooler.

Also I've just got a Suunto HR / GPS watch. Is there a bit of a dummies guide to HR and what zone to be running in order to increase my pace and fitness? I've had a look in google and have no idea where to start....

Thanks!

cressa

Likes Dirt
Anyone have a preference on what time of the day they're running and why?

Currently doing 3 and 5 km. The 3km has pretty much been my regular run 2/3 per week have started 5km in the last month or so. I'm going much quicker in the evening on my 3km run (11:20evening 11:50morning) and faster in the morning for my 5km (22:30morning 23:30evening.
I can pretty much only run at these times due to the heat. Sunset seems to be about 32'C mornings are a bit cooler.

Also I've just got a Suunto HR / GPS watch. Is there a bit of a dummies guide to HR and what zone to be running in order to increase my pace and fitness? I've had a look in google and have no idea where to start....

Thanks!
I much prefer to run in the afternoon, after work. For one it's a great way to finish the day and unwind but I just find I feel ready to run in the evening more than the morning - maybe my body is just better fuelled or maybe I'm just a sleepy bear. The few times I have run mornings I have definitely felt slower. I am about to start running one early morning per week. This will be my long easy run, will be starting at about 15k and working up to around 25k by July. This is mostly to get accustomed with morning running as I'm doing a half marathon that kicks off at sparrows-fart in July.

I've just acquired a HR sensor too, it links to my Nike+ GPS watch but have not yet used it. Much like you, it's new and there seems to be a lot to understand. I bookmarked the following page, it seems to boil it down as best as I have seen so far http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/HeartMonitorTraining.cfm

Hope it helps. Let me know if you find any other useful info.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just getting back into trail running again, and really enjoying it ! Wouldn't say it's as fun as getting on the bike, but it's a hell of a lot more fun than running the local streets or doing laps of the local oval. Usual run is mix of firetrail and very rocky steep singletrack, approx 30min.

cressa

Likes Dirt
Yeah I agree, trail running is more interesting than the streets and pathways but not as accessible (for me) generally speaking. One of the things I really like about running is the simplicity of just grabbing your shoes and heading off from wherever you are at the time if you don't feel like driving to your favourite spot. Sometimes this minor hassle is enough to stop me riding and go for a run instead.

However, I have occasionally followed up a trail ride with a quick trail run, just for the hell of it - I usually curse myself a few k's into the run though and wonder what the hell was I thinking.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Thanks for all that info Cressa.
I'm getting the hang of it all and starting to make use of the info at hand now. Suunnto also has very good online software it's called Movescount. Keeps a history of all of your logs, plots graphs / comparisons and you can set up training programs.

I've just switched to morning runs and although the first few I've been feeling ordinary, I'm starting to get into the swing of it. Managed to get the 5km down to 20:30 and max HR has dropped from 212 to 193. My hip seems to have let itself go though. Far too young for this shit to be falling apart!

komponent

Likes Dirt
Gidday folks, is there anyone here who is interested doing 8km (min) around the yarra trails of Mel? I do a loop which starts at the service station on Johnston st which eventually leads onto some of our prized trails around the abbostsford area..* If your keen do please hit me up, cheers !

*i work full time so generally early mornings or after hours are my hours of preference ;)

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Just getting back into trail running again, and really enjoying it ! Wouldn't say it's as fun as getting on the bike, but it's a hell of a lot more fun than running the local streets or doing laps of the local oval. Usual run is mix of firetrail and very rocky steep singletrack, approx 30min.
Yup. I've done 80k trail races and found road marathons to be harder. The legs feel just as shagged at the end but my brain was just mush after a road marathon, so mentally taxing.

Speaking of marathons, Sydney marathon entries are open.

There's also a half marathon which isn't a bad option, takes in all the best bits of the marathon course.

Then there's the Bridge run which isn't bad. 9km and just misses out on the foreshore section from Star City to the Opera House finish.

All of the above do go over the Harbour Bridge though which is pretty special. I've done it a few years now and it still gets me. My pick of the 3 for a nice day out would be the half. The marathon adds a loop down through Moore Park to make up the extra 21.1k which is boring as bat shit but on the other hand the marathon is a marathon.

http://www.sydneyrunningfestival.com.au/enter/marathon

Edit: Early bird entries close at the end of the month plus if you enter before then you get a free (well you have to pay $5 shipping) event shirt. Pro tip- Get the shirt a size down from what you normally wear, mine from last year was like a dress. Finishers shirts are well sized though :der:

Last edited: