The QUICK question thread.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Your chains might not stretch pussies, but I deliver so much energy into my chains that they heat up enough to become malleable. I'm currently in training to get up to forging temperature, but in the mean time I will make do with stretching them under heat.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Which grease and where from for DT Swiss hubs? Go with their own, or is there some single-origin fair-trade locally sourced option?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Which grease and where from for DT Swiss hubs? Go with their own, or is there some single-origin fair-trade locally sourced option?
Star ratchet grease? I've always used the DT one. The little tub lasts for ages as you don't need much.
@Oddjob has alternative suggestions from memory.

safreek

Hey guys, concerning direct mount stems.
How much steerer is needed above the crown, is it only the top crown that holds the fork to the bike. I assume that the top of the steerer could be level with the crown.
Hope it's not a "whoops I did it again" thing

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like enough steerer above the stem/crown (though I hear had dual downs for a long time) to run a 10mm spacer. I feel this gives me a little bit of extra power with the top cap when clamping it all up.

safreek

I like enough steerer above the stem/crown (though I hear had dual downs for a long time) to run a 10mm spacer. I feel this gives me a little bit of extra power with the top cap when clamping it all up.
So the top crown holds it on and all the top cap does is tighten the headset. Still hoping I haven't fucked myself again.
The steerer could effectively be level with the crown when tightened and be cool