The QUICK question thread.....

safreek

What is this witchcraft? Never in my life needed additional spacers for a hg cassette on a hg hub....assuming that’s what you have.
Haven’t left out a spacer between the loose cogs? Or you haven’t turned a 10sp into a 9sp accidentally?
I will check that, been rooting around with a few cassette lately. I'm going to the bike shop in the morning, I want to ride on the weekend and I'm not known for my mechanical prowess.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I have 2 different 10spd Shimano cassettes for my roadbike, one uses a spacer, one does not. If I dont fit the spacer it still works but derailleur needs adjustment to suit. NFI why.

moorey

call me Mia
I have 2 different 10spd Shimano cassettes for my roadbike, one uses a spacer, one does not. If I dont fit the spacer it still works but derailleur needs adjustment to suit. NFI why.
All bets are off if we’re talking roadie gear.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano did some weird stuff with early road 10-sp, playing around with deeper splines & slightly shorter freewheel body, hence the need to use a spacer when fitting those cassettes to "normal" HG-type bodies. MTB 10-sp. didn't adopt this weirdness, so should be a direct swap from 8 or 9-sp.

Are you perhaps mistaking inherent freewheel body play, accentuated by the larger sprockets, or is the cassette actually loose?

safreek

Are you perhaps mistaking inherent freewheel body play, accentuated by the larger sprockets, or is the cassette actually loose?
I have no idea to be honest, have only just started doing cassette changing as I finally got a whip. When I grab both sides and wiggle it it slightly moves

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
See if you can hold the smaller sprockets still and wiggle the larger ones. If you can, it's loose. Might need a spacer, but I'm guessing just not tight enough. How many uggas did you put into it?

safreek

See if you can hold the smaller sprockets still and wiggle the larger ones. If you can, it's loose. Might need a spacer, but I'm guessing just not tight enough. How many uggas did you put into it?
Went to the bike shop and he said its a little freehub movement as @The Duckmeister said so all good. I am a little shy to go real tight on bolts as I used to snap them and tools. It's bad at times with super strength