The QUICK question thread.....

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Star ratchet grease? I've always used the DT one. The little tub lasts for ages as you don't need much.
@Oddjob has alternative suggestions from memory.
Dumondetech pro x. Often it's rebadged as Stan's.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So the top crown holds it on and all the top cap does is tighten the headset. Still hoping I haven't fucked myself again.
The steerer could effectively be level with the crown when tightened and be cool
Ummmmm sure why not?

Top cap pulls everything to tension.

Top crown clamps on and locks it in place.

If you don't have enough steerer for your top cap to "get a grip" and pull through the crown to tension, then you won't be able to make it all snug.

moorey

call me Mia
So the top crown holds it on and all the top cap does is tighten the headset. Still hoping I haven't fucked myself again.
The steerer could effectively be level with the crown when tightened and be cool
If you don’t leave a little, you risk squashing the steerer when you tighten crown.
You know to preload headset on dual crown forks with clamp bolts loose on both crowns? Many don’t, and wonder why they have loose headsets no matter how much they tighten top cap.

safreek

If you don’t leave a little, you risk squashing the steerer when you tighten crown.
You know to preload headset on dual crown forks with clamp bolts loose on both crowns? Many don’t, and wonder why they have loose headsets no matter how much they tighten top cap.
Going to try and have another go at the GT tomorrow, test it with the complete headset on. If success has happened I will then get a dm stem.
I misread what you said about the crowns and thought "durrr". Then reread it and realized that makes sense. So lower crown loose as well.
Even at my age I continue to learn, cheers

moorey

call me Mia
Going to try and have another go at the GT tomorrow, test it with the complete headset on. If success has happened I will then get a dm stem.
I misread what you said about the crowns and thought "durrr". Then reread it and realized that makes sense. So lower crown loose as well.
Even at my age I continue to learn, cheers
I misspoke. Lower doesn’t need to be loosened to preload headset,

Minlak

custom titis
What the absolute fuck is "Used for <insert amount of time here>" (eg Used for 1 yr) meant to mean on bicycle ads - Does time frame now determine the suitability of the parts to do what I am needing or reflect the quality?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What the absolute fuck is "Used for <insert amount of time here>" (eg Used for 1 yr) meant to mean on bicycle ads - Does time frame now determine the suitability of the parts to do what I am needing or reflect the quality?
<1 year means new so pay new price + covid tax, >1 year means it is a fucking classic, pay more than new price + covid tax.

safreek

OK, I've whacked a 10 speed cassette on a wheel that had 8 speed. Tighten up and there is a mm or 2 of movement, is this normal, what have I done wrong.
Will this affect my riding enjoyment

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
A mm or 2? Yes. Freehub gonna have a bad day.
How tight was tight? Cassette lockrings need quite a few weetbix of torque.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Does 10sp mtb need the same freehub spacer that 10sp road cassettes need? Has been a long long time since I had a 10sp setup.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
OK, I've whacked a 10 speed cassette on a wheel that had 8 speed. Tighten up and there is a mm or 2 of movement, is this normal, what have I done wrong.
Will this affect my riding enjoyment
Yes.
Go to your LBS and ask for a couple for cassette shims.
Alternatively order from here:

moorey

call me Mia
What is this witchcraft? Never in my life needed additional spacers for a hg cassette on a hg hub....assuming that’s what you have.
Haven’t left out a spacer between the loose cogs? Or you haven’t turned a 10sp into a 9sp accidentally?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty

Thickness: 1.85 mm
Application:
  • using a 8-/9-speed cassette (Road) and an 8-/9-/10-/11-speed cassette (MTB) on an 11-speed (Road) freehub
  • using a 10-speed (Road) cassette on an 11-speed (Road) freehub (1.85 mm + 1 mm)
Manufacturer Part Number: Y-4T724000

bear the bear

Is a real bear
What is this witchcraft? Never in my life needed additional spacers for a hg cassette on a hg hub....assuming that’s what you have.
Haven’t left out a spacer between the loose cogs? Or you haven’t turned a 10sp into a 9sp accidentally?
I have and it's always been random as to the cassette/ hub combo. Just pays to have a couple to .5mm shims in the spares