The QUICK question thread.....

ausdb

Being who he is
Shimano XD 7 speed cassette removal...it's not in front of me and I have never played with one. Friend wants me to help him swap wheels over and this is part of it. Apparently it's stuck on real good. Do I need any specific tools? I've got the usual Shimano HG cassette removal tool.
Are you sure its a cassette and not a freewheel? Any Shimano cassette non microspline uses the same lockring as far as I know but if its low end with 7 speed theres a good chance it may be a freewheel. My old man recently dobbed me in to help a friend of his remove his "cassette" got there with chainwhip and lockring tool, nope freewheel and I don't have a tool for those as it's a slightly different size spline to the standard lockring. When I've changed them in the past I normally destructively disassemble the frewheel and use a large stilson on whats left of it.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No idea, as I haven't seen it. But it's not low end gear.

I have sram gx 7 speed in the past and it is just straight up Shimano HG. Nice and easy.

moorey

call me Mia
Shimano XD 7 speed cassette removal...it's not in front of me and I have never played with one. Friend wants me to help him swap wheels over and this is part of it. Apparently it's stuck on real good. Do I need any specific tools? I've got the usual Shimano HG cassette removal tool.
It can’t be both. Like saying a Ford Commodore.
If it’s shimano, it’s HG, and there’s a lock ring.
If it’s XD, the lock ring is part of the cassette.
Both use the same tool to fit/remove though.
Are we talking modern 7sp DH Cassette? With the big spacer replacing 4 largest cogs?
It could be either XD or HG. GX Spec and higher use XD. NX use HG with lock ring. I'm running both.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It can’t be both. Like saying a Ford Commodore.
If it’s shimano, it’s HG, and there’s a lock ring.
If it’s XD, the lock ring is part of the cassette.
Both use the same tool to fit/remove though.
Are we talking modern 7sp DH Cassette? With the big spacer replacing 4 largest cogs?
It could be either XD or HG. GX Spec and higher use XD. NX use HG with lock ring. I'm running both.
I don't have the wheel + components in front of me...but you have answered my question all the same, so thank you. It seems I should have the required tool to do the job.

With the sram xd cassette (yes a modern 7 speed) is it just a matter of giving it plenty of Newton meters through the tool to force it to unscrew from the threaded freehub?

Nope. It was NX if using a shimano type lock ring and 11t smallest cog.
I'm just going off the manufacturer's spec, which was sram pg-720. Google told me that is GX. It all ended up in the harbour anyway.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't have the wheel + components in front of me...but you have answered my question all the same, so thank you. It seems I should have the required tool to do the job.

With the sram xd cassette (yes a modern 7 speed) is it just a matter of giving it plenty of Newton meters through the tool to force it to unscrew from the threaded freehub?

I'm just going off the manufacturer's spec, which was sram pg-720. Google told me that is GX. It all ended up in the harbour anyway.
If it’s 7sp pg720 GX, HG cassette for sure. Either way, the same cassette tool and chain whip are used.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We had fun, more like 5 days but it was good

I've never spent more than a lengthy lay over there. I don't enjoy humidity, so after a bit of wandering it gets to me. Food is good though and a lot of people tell me it's a great place.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Don't go to Sri Lanka then. So fucking hot n humid - such a great place though
Stay up all night and see all you can of SG and sleep in the plane. :)

I concur with Mr Job and just get a leave pass to get a city hotel if you want to get out n' about. They have layover hotels in Changi if you can't be arsed to do anything.

If you arrive at SG during the day then you could sneak off a hire a MTB and ride at Burkit Timah which isn't too far from the CBD. Get into the tasty hawker food and Tiger beer post ride and call it a win!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We used to travel through and to Singers for many a meeting. Singapore office block overlooked the wheely big wheel thingy at about 90% height. Based on apartment pricing I reckon the boss's office alone was worth several hundred k a year. Spent a lot of time there and never worried about getting bored. Mind you I am also the one who was walking the streets of Ginza and surrounds during a typhoon when all the smart people were indoors away from the 100+kph winds. It did mean the streets were mostly empty and fun was had.

safreek

Should I change the oil after first use if a lawnmower, saw a fella on YouTube that recommended that. Or should I just do it after 5 hours like Honda recommend. Cheers