The Rotorua Questions Thread

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
well supposed to go over on the 12th feb for 10days but broke my hand Aus day on the bike :-(. Hadnt organised travel insurance yet either. The travel insurance company was supposed to call Monday but didn't. So no bike riding now.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
That sucks mate, hope the hand heals well

I might take the bike when i visit the folks, they live in Auckland so only a few hours drive down and i think my Aunt lives in Parmy so not far at all from Rota's

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sucks mate, hope the hand heals well

I might take the bike when i visit the folks, they live in Auckland so only a few hours drive down and i think my Aunt lives in Parmy so not far at all from Rota's
Not far from 440 either which is definately worth the trip too.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
440? More information please.
http://www.fourfortymtbpark.co.nz/

Its about an hour drive south east from the center of Auckland. Private place open only on weekends with up to 440m drop for the various runs. They have shuttle buses running constantly so you can do a lot of runs one after another. Quite a mix of trails that you can somewhat mix and match. Pink Stoat is maybe the most popular one and bermy. I didn't get to the proper DH ones.

Because they have a lot of height to work with the runs are often really steep and fast and the features are designed around that. I was there on an AM hardtail so it was pretty brutal on me and my brake pads but it was still terrific fun. The easy green trails are certainly not what we would cal "easy" here in Australia.

Cost is around the same as the shuttle at Rotorua but you can get a heap of runs in ( I did nine runs in 3 hrs ). Very friendly and helpful guys running it too.

zoom762x459z83188cw916.jpg

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Woodhill just north of Auckland is worth a look too
Agreed. A lot of people are pretty down on Woodhill in NZ but most of what used to be there seems to have been logged, which probably isn't a bad thing. The new trails are a 15min ride to get to but the main ones are very flowy and fun with long descents (and long not too bad climbs), not the undulating XC trails they were. The more advanced trails take large climbs to get too but are pretty fast and fun descents with that pine forest sketchiness.

So if you are in Auckland for a few days its definately worth a day trip, takes maybe 45 mins from town center early in the morning (best time to get there before it gets busy) . Also best in the rain or after rain due to the very sandy soil.

Certainly not as good as Rotorua, but certainly can put a smile on ones face.

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like Woodhill just got added to my trip
Don't book in a day at Woodhill at the expense of a day in Rotorua! Rotorua, especially on shuttle days is just the best and one's time there needs to be maximised.

However if you are stuck in Auckland for a few days Woodhill is a good midweek destination.

There is also a place called Riverhead near Woodhill northwest of Auckland that is a local recommendation but sadly I didn't manage to wrangle any time there to check it out. It however looks very interesting.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
if you're pushed for time and have to decide between the two.....
go straight to the redwoods.......:hail:
especially if you like to ride your bike.......and not just roll down a hill
and then,have some bloke in a bus drive you back up the hill.....:behindsofa::behindsofa:

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I made the catastrophic decision to sacrifice a day in Rotorua for a day at Woodhill at end of my trip.

Brought tears to my eyes once i got to Woodhill knowing what i was missing out on.

Woodhill in my opinion was awful. Manufactured and more catered to families who rent.

Ya there were some jumps and decent trails but they were so short and off in middle of nowhere wihin the park.

Stay in Rotorua.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Won't sacrifice any Rotorua time as I'm expecting to catch-up with family in Auckland for a couple of days

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agree with what others have said. Woodhill is good if you are already in Auckland and have half a day to kill. Fun trails yet nothing particularly challenging (at least where we ended up, following the advanced route). I've heard 440 is a better bet but was only open on weekends when we were around.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think at the moment, unfortunately the best trails for catching each shuttle are being logged. That is, Nat DH, Corners, Little Red Riding Huck etc on that side of the hill. Besides being great trails they took around the same time it took for the shuttle bus to get back down so you could do shuttle ride shuttle ride etc with no waiting. Just too easy, could do a 2.5 hr evening shuttle and get five or six runs in.

Up side of this is it makes one go further afield to some of the other areas! (which are terrific also and more of an adventure).

Talking to the locals is useful for working out the best way to hook up trails and and find the best way back. Also make sure you download the map app for the area.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think at the moment, unfortunately the best trails for catching each shuttle are being logged. That is, Nat DH, Corners, Little Red Riding Huck etc on that side of the hill. Besides being great trails they took around the same time it took for the shuttle bus to get back down so you could do shuttle ride shuttle ride etc with no waiting. Just too easy, could do a 2.5 hr evening shuttle and get five or six runs in.

Up side of this is it makes one go further afield to some of the other areas! (which are terrific also and more of an adventure).

Talking to the locals is useful for working out the best way to hook up trails and and find the best way back. Also make sure you download the map app for the area.
Really? They are logging that block now? I heard it wasnt for another month or 2

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
yeah, split enz and onther one that was closed. .....
bit bummed out that i missed out..but the other gazillion trails out
there made up for it.