The Rotorua Questions Thread

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think at the moment, unfortunately the best trails for catching each shuttle are being logged. That is, Nat DH, Corners, Little Red Riding Huck etc on that side of the hill. Besides being great trails they took around the same time it took for the shuttle bus to get back down so you could do shuttle ride shuttle ride etc with no waiting. Just too easy, could do a 2.5 hr evening shuttle and get five or six runs in.

Up side of this is it makes one go further afield to some of the other areas! (which are terrific also and more of an adventure).

Talking to the locals is useful for working out the best way to hook up trails and and find the best way back. Also make sure you download the map app for the area.
Split Enz is the only one closed at present.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
So broke my hand (3rd metacarpel?) Aus day. Me and three mates fly out to NZ this friday for a week in Rotorua. Had my cast off last friday (wasnt even on 2 weeks). Ortho xrayed it and took it off and now its just buddy taped to my pointer finger so I assume it must be in the right spot and started to join? It was a displaced fracture. Can move it ok. Bit bruised still.

I was going to go anyway and not take my bike. Although the hand is starting to feel ok but it wouldnt of even been three weeks? Figure I can hire a bike for some green trails. Does redwoods have many smooth green trails. Pretty shit but better than nothing. Just not keen to ride to early even though it feels ok. And also my travel insurance wont cover as it happened in the last 3 months.

What else is recommended to do in Roto? It will be the bike week there so some events to watch. Any good hire bike places and recommeded smooth tracks? Or an I silly even thinking of riding so soon. Everything I read reckons recovery of 6weeks. Im 31, healthy, eat well and always tend to heal fast. Will be depressing knowing my mates are riding the awesome trails but thats life.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
And Riff Raff (bottom section of Franknfurter)
I was there 3 weeks ago and some locals told me to ignore the closed sign and ride it anyway. Glad I did, absolutely awesome track! Hopefully it's still there.

The same locals told me about Gonzo, which drops off to the right on Corners just after it crosses the road and Snuffulufagus, which heads off from Billy Ts (just after where Underbilly merges) and goes all the way down to the shuttle. Absolutely epic track, hard to beat. There's another great one that drops off to the left of the 4wd road a bit further up than the start of Billy Ts. Most of these are built by a guy who leaves his trademark logo "Sesame St" on little signs in the trees.

For every track that's closed due to logging you can bet that others are being built at an even faster rate, if not strictly legal (yet). Whenever you see that officious sign warning against illegal trail building and ride at one's own risk etc, you know you're in for an absolutely stunning loam-fest!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What else is recommended to do in Roto? It will be the bike week there so some events to watch. Any good hire bike places and recommeded smooth tracks? Or an I silly even thinking of riding so soon. Everything I read reckons recovery of 6weeks. Im 31, healthy, eat well and always tend to heal fast. Will be depressing knowing my mates are riding the awesome trails but thats life.
There are a lot of easy green trails and pretty smooth flowy trails that are fun. For easy smooth, The Dipper is probably a little too pootle but test yourself out whether you can hold on, but nearby are the "Challenge" tracks which are fast, flowy and pumpy but not rattle fests. A few other tracks down the bottom that are beginner but still fun. After this stuff like Dragonstail and Mad If You Don't are just fun even if not techy.

One thing to remember about Rotorua is that there is essentially no rock. You have roots,lots of brake bumps and droppy features, but some tracks are pretty much smooth. So you may find some places to ride even on the shuttle tracks?

Lots of other things to do in Rotorua, visit the vistor center for millions of brochures.

My daughter loved the Zipline http://canopytours.co.nz/

But go to this bakery every day and get fat, almost as good as the riding... Ciabatta Bakery http://www.ciabattabakery.co.nz/

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was there 3 weeks ago and some locals told me to ignore the closed sign and ride it anyway. Glad I did, absolutely awesome track! Hopefully it's still there.

The same locals told me about Gonzo, which drops off to the right on Corners just after it crosses the road and Snuffulufagus, which heads off from Billy Ts (just after where Underbilly merges) and goes all the way down to the shuttle. Absolutely epic track, hard to beat. There's another great one that drops off to the left of the 4wd road a bit further up than the start of Billy Ts. Most of these are built by a guy who leaves his trademark logo "Sesame St" on little signs in the trees.

For every track that's closed due to logging you can bet that others are being built at an even faster rate, if not strictly legal (yet). Whenever you see that officious sign warning against illegal trail building and ride at one's own risk etc, you know you're in for an absolutely stunning loam-fest!
Yep know them well. Sounds like you missed out on Enter the dragon over above bunny jugs.
What happens at bottom of Riff Raff? Is Rocky Horror still open ( the end trail through creek bed and ends at bridge on Pondys)

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
There are a lot of easy green trails and pretty smooth flowy trails that are fun. For easy smooth, The Dipper is probably a little too pootle but test yourself out whether you can hold on, but nearby are the "Challenge" tracks which are fast, flowy and pumpy but not rattle fests. A few other tracks down the bottom that are beginner but still fun. After this stuff like Dragonstail and Mad If You Don't are just fun even if not techy.

One thing to remember about Rotorua is that there is essentially no rock. You have roots,lots of brake bumps and droppy features, but some tracks are pretty much smooth. So you may find some places to ride even on the shuttle tracks?

Lots of other things to do in Rotorua, visit the vistor center for millions of brochures.

My daughter loved the Zipline http://canopytours.co.nz/

But go to this bakery every day and get fat, almost as good as the riding... Ciabatta Bakery http://www.ciabattabakery.co.nz/
cheers mate. Will def check out the bakery. Fighting myself not to take my bike thinking of the awesome trails. At this stage Im not sure id even be able to pull the bike apart to put in the bike bag. Might see how its going towards the end of the week and hire a bike.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yep know them well. Sounds like you missed out on Enter the dragon over above bunny jugs.
What happens at bottom of Riff Raff? Is Rocky Horror still open ( the end trail through creek bed and ends at bridge on Pondys)
No, I think I did ride Enter the Dragon, just another one of the many awesome tracks in Rotovegas...

At the Bottom of Riff Raff Rocky Horror was still open and quite an experience as it takes a lot more to dry out than most of the other tracks. A unique combination of mud and rock haha. Probably the only place you'll find rock gardens in the entire park. Heaps of fun, but super challenging as you don't have the steepness of RR to roll through stuff.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, I think I did ride Enter the Dragon, just another one of the many awesome tracks in Rotovegas...

At the Bottom of Riff Raff Rocky Horror was still open and quite an experience as it takes a lot more to dry out than most of the other tracks. A unique combination of mud and rock haha. Probably the only place you'll find rock gardens in the entire park. Heaps of fun, but super challenging as you don't have the steepness of RR to roll through stuff.
Okay cool. So you can get out onto Pondys? those rocks are like ice

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay quick update. Frankenfurter is gone already and Riff Raff wont be far behind. They are logging that block and you cant get in during the week. Makes getting into Kung Fu Warlus during the week a pain too

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not as sad as the day in the very near future when they log the main block at shuttle drop. Goodbye Huckleberry, Corners, Red Riding Huck and National Dh
When I left there a few months back it was very sad to know it would be the last time to ride any of those trails...

I am sure the new trails will be awesome to ride, but the Rotorua stuff in the woods just is more enjoyable than the stuff in the logged sections. Shuttling of an evening and rushing down the Hucks or Corners to try and make sure you catch the next shuttle with the sunset glinting through the trees was amazing.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a positive note, we spent best part of a day at Skyline with 15 run pass. We did 34kms and 2750m vertical all down. Best $50 i have spent