The Single Speed Thread

Jerry Atrick

Likes Bikes
Finally after spending months looking like this...
View attachment 268544

i finally got all the parts to make it look like this
View attachment 268546

Its my first 29er, first SS and first Steel framed bike (since i was 12yo anyway)

ive been collecting parts from fleabay and the classified section on here

so its a custom build:
KHS Solo one SE
Fox 32 Fit

Thomson kit to support my hands and arse

Holzfella
shhh don't mention the chain ring (need to get something a little better)
Sram PC1 chain
Velosolo 18t rear cog

Velocity blunts laced to XT hubs
RaRA 29x2.25 (still running tubes for a little bit)
Magura Louise brakes (Yes the hose need cutting down)

I took her out yesterday for the first time and have got her dirty.
while she rides beautifully i am have a bitch of a time with the chain slipping off (i think i need to re-assess my chain line)

There seems to be a lot of frame flex, enough to make the chain quite loose though combined with a chain line that is a little out... lets just say, I'd better get used to life as a unick :S

Is there any why other than just eye balling it?

Jerry Atrick

Likes Bikes
Apart from eyeballing it, you could measure it.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

And you can always add something like a Surly Singulator (or equivalent based on the rear dropout of your frame, pics too small to see) to take out the slack when the frame compresses that little bit.
Thanks Geoff
I gave it a go as per sheldon's recommendations but with no love, it was still slipping off.
Looks like i'll have to have a look in to something else

It had also broken a brand new pc1 chain after one ride:mad:

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

mb63

Likes Bikes
My Kinesis

Thought I'd show my kinesis now it's pretty much done and dusted, still playing around with a few things - forks, gearing and brakes.
Got all vain and decided I needed white brakes so sent the magura marta's for this to be powder coated - still waiting.
Happy enough with the gear ratios so far but only about 70km on light trail work so far, no hills yet but this pedalling thing is all new, give it time, currently 34/16, smooth and pretty fast on flats, hills so far aren't that bad.
Forks ? Thinking rigid at the moment might be a step too far, happy enough with the ride these give but cant help feeling it could be better, was running manitous with infinite travel but could never find the sweet spot.
Anyways, it is what it is (for now). Tried to keep it simple.

Decade Virsa frame, Tora forks, Velocity VXC on Quanta hubs, Small Block tyres, Gravity cranks, DMR V8 pedals, E13 guidering and bashy, Cobalt 2 stem and bars, Juicy 7 brakes with Braking 180mm semi floating discs, Thudbuster post, Tundra 2 saddle and KMC chain.IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpg

aido ssss

Likes Bikes
Next years 2014 SS Nationals

Hi all
Been a while since I was here, FB ate my computer time. If you haven't checked out or just didn't know there is an ARSE (Australian Recreational Singlespeed Enthusiasts) group over on FaceBooks. I hope i don't offend by even suggesting there is another place to talk about all things SS, Farkin was here long before FB was.
the point is, its one place where we inform and motivate for the national championships each year, generally shit talk and spread SS love, seems like its a bit less of a tech corner than what goes on here.
Did you know this years race was up in Cairns? Voting is currently taking place for next years race venue, If you haven't been to a Singe speed nationals its more than a xc couple of hour ride, normally its a weekend of grass roots racing, catching up with friends, making new ones, riding lots of new trails and maybe having a beers.
Anyway you are all welcome, come on in the beer is good.

slow Aido

mr626

Likes Bikes
Thought I'd show my kinesis now it's pretty much done and dusted, still playing around with a few things - forks, gearing and brakes.
Got all vain and decided I needed white brakes so sent the magura marta's for this to be powder coated - still waiting.
Happy enough with the gear ratios so far but only about 70km on light trail work so far, no hills yet but this pedalling thing is all new, give it time, currently 34/16, smooth and pretty fast on flats, hills so far aren't that bad.
Forks ? Thinking rigid at the moment might be a step too far, happy enough with the ride these give but cant help feeling it could be better, was running manitous with infinite travel but could never find the sweet spot.
Anyways, it is what it is (for now). Tried to keep it simple.

Decade Virsa frame, Tora forks, Velocity VXC on Quanta hubs, Small Block tyres, Gravity cranks, DMR V8 pedals, E13 guidering and bashy, Cobalt 2 stem and bars, Juicy 7 brakes with Braking 180mm semi floating discs, Thudbuster post, Tundra 2 saddle and KMC chain.View attachment 268763View attachment 268765
Great looking bike. That seatpost is crazy!

Full rigid is great! (both my bikes are). You just get used to it. Probably helps that I've never ridden that much with any form of suspensions so I don't know what I'm missing.

fergo

Likes Dirt
New SS for a Rookie

With 195 pages ranging from 2007 to now, its hard to know when current info starts and what is still valid today for a ss newbie like me. This is a dreaded "what bike to buy" request.

I'm wanting to get my first SS for fun and a break from my anthem and roadie and potentially a wombat winter bike. I'm 105kgs at the moment and planning on going lower. I'm open to suggestions re ss specific bikes/frames or convert a new/second hand geared one etc.

Other unknowns are BB types, cranks, chains/belt etc. I'm 182 tall and have a Large Anthem and Cannondale road bike.

Please help me out. Budget is $1 - 2K. The For Sale section doesn't really have many SS bikes

Thanks, Ferg

disappearin

Likes Dirt
With 195 pages ranging from 2007 to now, its hard to know when current info starts and what is still valid today for a ss newbie like me. This is a dreaded "what bike to buy" request.

I'm wanting to get my first SS for fun and a break from my anthem and roadie and potentially a wombat winter bike. I'm 105kgs at the moment and planning on going lower. I'm open to suggestions re ss specific bikes/frames or convert a new/second hand geared one etc.

Other unknowns are BB types, cranks, chains/belt etc. I'm 182 tall and have a Large Anthem and Cannondale road bike.

Please help me out. Budget is $1 - 2K. The For Sale section doesn't really have many SS bikes

Thanks, Ferg
Did you see the singular swift frame in for sale section? It would be a nice start to a SS build. with the EBB you don't need to worry about a tensioner. It's a medium. Should go close to fitting but possibly alittle small. I think they are still doing good prices on new swift frames if you need a large. You could easily build one up for the amount you are looking to spend.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...t-frame-w-reba-race-and-stock-fork-plus-parts

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
$1-$2K is a very broad range.....

I am considering selling my Large Specialized Stumpjumper SS Alloy frame with Niner rigid fork and could be pursuaded to include a saddle and KCNC seatpost....

With a Set of Hope Hoops and some cheap cranks/stem/bars you could have yourself a mid 8kgs rigid

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
$1-$2K is a very broad range.....
Agreed. A good place to start to narrow your scope would be deciding if you want front suspension or rigid. Rigid circa $1k would get you something pretty excellent new - Cannondale do/did a Trail(?) SS that owners seem to rate pretty highly. Otherwise does Trek/GF still do the Rig? That was under $2k and good spec for the money from memory. GF hardtails in my experience offer excellent handling - just watch for dropout issues with the singlespeed frames.

Otherwise go secondhand. There was a blinged out Singular Swift XL on here not long ago for less than $2k.

Aerosmith

Likes Bikes

Thanks, Ferg
As mentioned, Singular Swift would be a good start. I have Gryphon SS which has become my No1 bike, I love it. I rocks on the wombat trails and in the pines.
I am tossing up between a Swift and Ritchey P29er. Most likely going with the Swift to replace my GF Hi FI which has been a great bike, but its time for a change. Frames are $600 on Wiggle. I don't believe Larry's cycles are the dealer anymore?

Aerosmith

Likes Bikes
Just purchased my first single speed MTB today.
It's also my first 29er. Stoked!
What did you get?

Looks to be a few moving to SS, I thought it was a bit of a wank and it was only that the Gryphon I bought was a killer deal (originally I was just after a frame that would have been built with gears) and came complete with a SS set up. I though I would go for a few rides and then convert it to geared, man no way, SS is great, I cant explain what it is but there is some thing in it.

Hools

Likes Dirt
As mentioned, Singular Swift would be a good start. I have Gryphon SS which has become my No1 bike, I love it. I rocks on the wombat trails and in the pines.
I am tossing up between a Swift and Ritchey P29er. Most likely going with the Swift to replace my GF Hi FI which has been a great bike, but its time for a change. Frames are $600 on Wiggle. I don't believe Larry's cycles are the dealer anymore?
Larrys currently have singular swift frames for $500 ($200 off). Larrys are awesome to deal with too, I just ordered a Peregrine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Aerosmith

Likes Bikes
Larrys currently have singular swift frames for $500 ($200 off). Larrys are awesome to deal with too, I just ordered a Peregrine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
I got my Gryphon from Guy, top bloke. He did mention he was thinking of moving from Singular but is cool if he has continued on.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I have 2 Karate Monkeys and for sheer fun factor they win for me. Frame and steel fork can be had for around $500-$600.
Complete Monkey with basic build can be around $1200.
Can`t go past a Niner S.I.R. if the budget can stretch, but frame only (with EBB) heads north of $1k.
With your idea of wanting something fun, steel is the way to go.
My 2c worth anyway.
Cheers
MH

Hauffy

Squid
I have a chain question :)
I currently use an 1/8th chain btw.
How many SSers would bother to carry a chain tool? I am looking at it from a weight aspect when racing(but not just racing i guess). I have heard that some people will separate a chain into 4 sections using quicklinks and they just carry a piece of chain and a quicklink, theory being if the chain breaks, you just replace that 1 x section of chain and a chaintool wouldn't be required.
OR carry a chain tool and spare links etc
OR don't even bother carrying anything chain related??
Am i thinking too much? LOL
Thoughts?

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I have a chain question :)
I currently use an 1/8th chain btw.
How many SSers would bother to carry a chain tool? I am looking at it from a weight aspect when racing(but not just racing i guess). I have heard that some people will separate a chain into 4 sections using quicklinks and they just carry a piece of chain and a quicklink, theory being if the chain breaks, you just replace that 1 x section of chain and a chaintool wouldn't be required.
OR carry a chain tool and spare links etc
OR don't even bother carrying anything chain related??
Am i thinking too much? LOL
Thoughts?
If I'm racing or riding on a track doing laps the majority of times I won't carry a chain tool or spare links/chain unless the laps are really long. If I'm out in the bush or doing point to point races ill carry a multi tool with chain breaker, a link and a small piece of chain. I put it all in a small seat bag, along with a tube and co2 pump. That way its easy to clip on and off whichever way I decide.

Last edited:

mb63

Likes Bikes
"That seatpost is crazy!"

Thanks, I'll be the first to admit it's beyond horrendous but the thing works, feels really weird but then like most weirdos you just forget it's there.

Last edited: