The Single Speed Thread

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I've been reading good stuff about both hubs. Inclined to support a local company, but the hope have a real good rep, and a good price as well.

Dicky

Punter God
Fluked the magic gear on my hardtail without doing any homework. Happy camper.
Had a 36t lying around, one 18 tooth cog and some wrenching and I have another SS to play with.
Rideable for now, may need a tensioner in a week or two methinks.

Camera's flat, pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Neo/retro build of 1990 Miyata Trailrunner as commuter

1990 vintage lugged and bonded hardtail that had had a hard life as a commuter in sydney with no maintenance. Pretty much the only bits that were saveable were the frame, the cranks, the bottom bracket and the front wheel. All the rest is new aside from the stem which is second hand.

Gearing is 48:17. Will get a dedicated 17 tooth Surly to replace the old Ultegra 17 tooth currently doing duty out the back, and possibly a new front chainring, although this one seems pretty good.

Clean lines, no clutter and fairly comfy. It would seem that I'm also fortunate to have a "brooks shaped arse" because the B17 feels confortable right from the outset.

EDIT: Now running 38:16, dirt tyres and the bars have been cut down. post on end of thread.

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
'03 Norco Charger
Surly Instigator
Deore hydros
Larsen 2.35s

A bit heavy, but has put up with 4 years of shit and hasn't missed a beat.

First semi-decent SS ride today. Love it.

1. commuter duties
2. 36:18

Attachments

Last edited:

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
gday,

has anyone here got any experience with the cannondale 1fg? if so positive? negative?

im pricing one up at the moment with the std build but with a Reba Race instead of the headshock.

what i guess im most concerend about is the eccentric bottom bracket - arethey a major issue or is it just a matter of simple maint?

RCOH

Eats Squid
gday,

has anyone here got any experience with the cannondale 1fg? if so positive? negative?

im pricing one up at the moment with the std build but with a Reba Race instead of the headshock.

what i guess im most concerend about is the eccentric bottom bracket - arethey a major issue or is it just a matter of simple maint?
PM Johnny, he has one with a reba (edit: he may have dukes?) & he had some trouble with BB but it is sorted now and by all accounts a very nice ride. I would love one.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No experience with the 1FG but I have an EBB in my Ventana.
I have had no problems with it at all.
It is simply a matter of lightly greasing the shell and tightening it up.
Once every month or so I pull it out; clean it; regrease it and re-install it.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
PM Johnny, he has one with a reba (edit: he may have dukes?) & he had some trouble with BB but it is sorted now and by all accounts a very nice ride. I would love one.
awww cmon, im waaayyy too scared to PM Johny :p

thanks for the reply tho, same goes with Sumgy.

all i need now is the cash! hmmm. from 4 inch dual to singlespeed. this will be interesting... all i need to do is get it passed the financial controller.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No experience with the 1FG but I have an EBB in my Ventana.
I have had no problems with it at all.
It is simply a matter of lightly greasing the shell and tightening it up.
Once every month or so I pull it out; clean it; regrease it and re-install it.
+ 1 - no dramas with my Ventana EBB. I think Johnny has had a few dramas with his 1FG though?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, mine was seized (sp?). They're supposed to have a washer over the head of the bolt so that when you loosen the bolt it pushes the wedge out fromt he housing, thus releasing the EBB mech for tensioning (check the diagrams in my 1FG thread). Now that I fixed the problem it's fine.

I like the bike, it's nice to ride, climbs hills supurbly! Very light and looks nice IMO. Although, I will always lament my Felt Epo XC. That was definately the best XC bike I've ever riden...., not SS though.

My 1FG does run Dukes. I've always liked them, I think they are one of the best XC forks ever made. Would like to upgrade to some pikes, but will wait until the Dukes shit themselves. Have been waiting four years for that to happen...., great fork.

Last edited:

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt

anyone ridden one of these yet? how do you they go?
I have one, I have only ridden it once and it was way better than my old 26in version. I should be going for a ride on it this weekend and I can give you a better idea.
First ride impression:):):):):):):):):):) pretty happy.

I have also fitted Avid BB5's and a different saddle.

triples

Likes Dirt
Cheers. Let me know how you go over the weekend. I'm thinking about getting one to cruise to work on. I hava a 26" monocog but don't want to wear it out riding to work, would rather keep it as a mountainbike:)

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you like the 26in version you will love the 29er, even after one ride I can tell it is better, it's smoother, rolls heaps better and has more grip. If you get one you will probably sell the 26in.

The one ride I did on it I had done over 100 times on the 26in and it felt really good.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I seriously considered buying one, and took one for a quick test ride at last years Scott. I liked it - and I liked the price too.

In the end I splurged on a Ventana coz' I'd cracked my 26 inch SS frame and needed something shiny so I could sleep properly at night..............

Um, in summary I say buy one ,and then give us a full review :D

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run the poor man's Mary, (Sushi) And they are good. Not "Wow where have these been all my life" good, but good enough that I have not changed them yet.

As for the rest of the bike...:confused: