The Single Speed Thread

Onegear

Likes Dirt
Hints

Good hints I will be there easier than heading over to NZ I better stop training.

Last edited:

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
You want hints? Here's two
I'll be expecting to see lots of bad facial hair (even for SSers).
Steel is real
Steel City?

Not sure about the bad facial hair reference.. I'm from off the reservation..

So am I in the ball park?

Getting fkn excited bout the NZ SS Champs.. Got the miles under the belt, will start practising the beer aspect this weekend yo.. If ya keen for a yarn, I'll be the goose in the Bottles and Chains kit on za black 1x1 with black red SIDS..

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
What are peopls thoughts on SS gearing for the upcoming NRMA carflight race in june??
You out to win or have a good time? I know of one person that's run 32:11 (and suspect we'll see some of the Gu riders on "Shire Gearing" ~38:17) but 32:16 is fine for most people unless you've got extreeeeme quads or like running hills.

Matt Mead

Likes Bikes
You out to win or have a good time? I know of one person that's run 32:11 (and suspect we'll see some of the Gu riders on "Shire Gearing" ~38:17) but 32:16 is fine for most people unless you've got extreeeeme quads or like running hills.
always about having fun haha, i currently 32:16 so might keep that.. im from the shire whats this shire gearing your talking about hahah??

Babau

Squid
How much benefit is there from having a frame designed for singlespeed? ie: If I just buy frame with vertical dropouts and stick a tensioner on it (if I can't find a magic gear), will I be much worse off than if I had adjustment capabilities?

Cheers.

shire gearing

always about having fun haha, i currently 32:16 so might keep that.. im from the shire whats this shire gearing your talking about hahah??
Stick a 15t on the back with your 32t up front and you've got yourself shire gearing, stand up and smash it, you'll love it, trust me:D

Pile

Likes Bikes
How much benefit is there from having a frame designed for singlespeed? ie: If I just buy frame with vertical dropouts and stick a tensioner on it (if I can't find a magic gear), will I be much worse off than if I had adjustment capabilities?

Cheers.
There are lots of bewdiful SS-specific frames around that look a million bucks and are the sorts of things you get all warm and fuzzy about when you sit on them and there are some with pretty ordinary geo - like any bike really.

I've been running a SS with a tensioner on an old frame that I couldn't bear to part with for a long time, it fit me so nicely. Funnily enough, I like it better than my quite expensive SS-specific frame to munch up the Ks on, but its a personal fit thing. I've had no hassles with a tensioner, no dramas with unnessary wear on the drivetrain and it lets me change ratios pretty easily and quickly due to the couple of extra links in the chain I can accommodate.

At the end of the day a cheap frame is a cheap frame and an uncomfy frame is uncomfy irrespective of the shape of the dropouts.