The Single Speed Thread

notime

Likes Dirt
A stick maybe? Sticks seem to be about the only reason I ever loose a chain. They just leverage the chain right off.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Only off the top of my head you could have done bent teeth on one of the sprockets, a bung chain link or a trail object has got it, like a sick as above.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Howdy. Earlier this morning, I managed to drop the chain on my Highball SS. I have no idea how it happened nor even where to begin looking for reasons so thought I would ask youse guys for advice.

• My chain ring is 36t Shimano Zee, sprocket is 19t surly
  • Chain itself is SRAM PC1 SS chain (I think)

So if any of you have dropped the chain on your SS or if any of the above looks to be the likely culprit, let me know.

Thanks
RDH
The only time I've ever dropped a chain on my SS was when I ran a SRAM PC1 chain. I fitted it before a 12hr race and it come off 4 times during the race! I figured it was due to running a 1/8 chain on sprockets designed for 3/32 chain (although sram claim it works and the shop I got it from highly recommended it for my setup). If you check it on the sprockets it has a lot of side to side float.
I went back to an Izumi 3/32 SS chain and haven't had an issue.

RDH

Likes Dirt
A stick eh? Hopefully, that is the case and I haven't scored myself a chronic issue.

Also, I will look into the Izumi 3/32 chain.

Last edited:

mr626

Likes Bikes
A stick eh? Hopefully, that is the case and I haven't scored myself a chronic issue.

Also, I will look into the Izumi 3/32 chain.
Another option might be a KMC Z610 HX. Have used these on a few bikes now, very strong chains.

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
My new Dingle Speed

Hey guys, just posted this in the post my ride thread but as I have referred to it recently here I thought I would throw up a pic. Have not ridden it on the trails yet so cannot comment on the gearing but at the moment the dingle speed setup seems to work well, despite having 4 teeth separation instead of the previously recommended 3 (went for 4 due to available chainrings).

It feels great and having fun riding around the streets to and from work and enjoying the zen of only 1 gear.

Photo 29-11-2013 1 28 08 pm.jpgPhoto 29-11-2013 1 28 50 pm.jpg

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Nice Inbred!

Here's mine: (cross posted to 29ers)

A few updates to my SS lately.

White Crest rims with Revo spokes and ally nipples have netted a significant weight saving. It definitely accelerates faster now. Even found a matching blue anodised valve stem!

Tioga Spyder copy saddle - about 150gm I think. Not as uncomfortable as it looks! Lightweight KCNC seatpost.

Pedals are now some $9 specials from T7 - pretty damn good for the price, better shape (more concavity) than the Deity compound plastic pedals. Not as thin though.

I temporarily fitted the XTR brakes that are destined for a new bike. Disappointingly, but not particularly surprising, they feel no different in use to the SLX brakes I had on there previously, and something like 3 times the price!

mr626

Likes Bikes
Great Inbreds guys. I should be finished my Inbred build in a day or two (Fire Engine red). Then we can have a whole Inbred family!

Hmm, that doesn't sound right.

I can't get over how strange those lefty forks look. Does it feel much different to a 'normal' fork?

badtreefrog, I'm liking the green frame. Be good to hear how your 'dingle speed' handles on the rough stuff.

Edit: apologies for the outrageous newbie question, but what is it that you guys have attached to the rear QR skewer that is covering the dropout, and why is it needed? I've got the slot dropout frame and I was just going to use a standard Ritchey QR skewer...

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Edit: apologies for the outrageous newbie question, but what is it that you guys have attached to the rear QR skewer that is covering the dropout, and why is it needed? I've got the slot dropout frame and I was just going to use a standard Ritchey QR skewer...
That would be a chain tensioner / chain tug to stop the axle slipping forward under power. Worthwhile for slot dropout frames with QR skewers. If you don't have a chain tug then quality internal cam QR skewers (like shimano) tighten heaps better than cheap/light/colour matched open cam skewers.

wombat

Lives in a hole
That would be a chain tensioner / chain tug to stop the axle slipping forward under power. Worthwhile for slot dropout frames with QR skewers. If you don't have a chain tug then quality internal cam QR skewers (like shimano) tighten heaps better than cheap/light/colour matched open cam skewers.
Thus guy's spot on, although even with shimano skewers I'd be running tugs, pulling a wheel sucks.

mapomatic

Likes Bikes
How tight should the tugs be? As tight as you can wrench them, or just tight enough to create a bit more tension? Do you tighten them before or after doing up the qr?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

mr626

Likes Bikes
Thus guy's spot on, although even with shimano skewers I'd be running tugs, pulling a wheel sucks.
Cool, thanks guys. Now I just need to work out which tugs to get. The DMR set can be had for a good price, but do I want 10mm or 14mm?

Back to the Inbred- installed the brakes today. I can see why some people have clearance issues with the rear caliper! Really not a lot of room to work with, I was lucky at least and my brakes fit.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I can't get over how strange those lefty forks look. Does it feel much different to a 'normal' fork?
You'd never tell the difference just from riding - they're incredibly stiff for something with only one leg. And almost no stiction - conventional forks feel terrible (stiction-wise) by comparison.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I'm inbred too! Got this old frame with cranks & BB for a case of Coopers. I ride it nearly every night 10kish with the dog (2yr old Kelpie x Boarder Collie) around the suburbs and gravel trails. She loves having a run and I get to ride a bike every night.

Attachments

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
Great Inbreds guys. I should be finished my Inbred build in a day or two (Fire Engine red). Then we can have a whole Inbred family!

Hmm, that doesn't sound right.

badtreefrog, I'm liking the green frame. Be good to hear how your 'dingle speed' handles on the rough stuff.

On-One Chain Tugs in Australia - http://www.raceworx.com.au/products/OnOne-Chain-Tug-(for-Quick-release).html

They recommended only using one, so I am only using one - less fiddly, especially with the two ratios.

Mr626, in theory the dingle speed should handle exactly the same as a single speed off road, it is how my quads handle the hills that is the question!!

Brisneyland - Nice! Mine is certainly no lightweight but the way i see it the heavier it is the fitter I get!

mr626

Likes Bikes
On-One Chain Tugs in Australia - http://www.raceworx.com.au/products/OnOne-Chain-Tug-(for-Quick-release).html

They recommended only using one, so I am only using one - less fiddly, especially with the two ratios.

Mr626, in theory the dingle speed should handle exactly the same as a single speed off road, it is how my quads handle the hills that is the question!!

Brisneyland - Nice! Mine is certainly no lightweight but the way i see it the heavier it is the fitter I get!
Awesome, thanks for that. Forgot that Raceworx stock On-One gear (I ordered my frame direct from Planet X in the UK, was thinking I'd have to order the tug from there too).

I like your thoughts on weight and fitness also. My Inbred will tip the scales at around 13kg when done so no lightweight either.

Stinky, as much as I like Coopers I think I would part with a case for a deal like that :)

Last edited:

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Awesome, thanks for that. Forgot that Raceworx stock On-One gear (I ordered my frame direct from Planet X in the UK, was thinking I'd have to order the tug from there too).

I like your thoughts on weight and fitness also. My Inbred will tip the scales at around 13kg when done so no lightweight either.

Stinky, as much as I like Coopers I think I would part with a case for a deal like that :)
I gained a new mate out of that trade so it was worth every dollar and more.

Igofastdh

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Been looking around online (dont have a LBS) for one of these spacers and the smallest I can find is a 1.5mm? But after measuring mine and finding its only 0.68mm (assuming its squashed?) Not sure of the size of the spacer thats next to it though, so I'm not sure what to do, wether I just run one larger spacer instead of one small and one large? Also should there be a spacer In between the crank arm and the BB? Anybody have one kicking around at home?

Thanks

Last edited: