The Single Speed Thread

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Quick Q, peeps. I run a regular hub with home made spacers. Running a 13/32 gearing, which is a bit high on long, hilly trail rides, but I use the 13 because it's wider, having the built in spacer from a 9sp cassette.
Id like to bang a 14t on, but all mine are narrow (no built in spacer), and will destroy the hope alu free hub body.
I don't want to change to a steel free hub, and I don't want to build up an SS hub.

Can an anyone point me to a wider based 14t, or even a 15t
Chris king sprockets are the go! Ain't cheap but are nice, wide and pretty.
If your after cheap ones check these out, I've used them in the past without dramas.
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7CS1N9SS/title/torpedo7-single-speed-sprocket

SS29er

Squid
That look amazing! Had it out on the trails yet?

I've been looking into building up a ss29r or maybe a ss27.5.
Been looking at the Kona explosif, amongst others, but you've just thrown another into the mix!

p.s. what fork is that?
Thanks. Rides like a dream so far on the local trails (manly, red hill and omv).

I can't recommend Lynskey enough! Bought it from bikepro.com.au who are the aussie distributor. They have got some killer deals on frames at the moment if you can find one your size.

Fork is a Rockshox SID RCT3 29er 100mm. I like the fork but don't love it. when locked out it has a bit of movement. I used to have a Fox, which when locked out was solid.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Fork is a Rockshox SID RCT3 29er 100mm. I like the fork but don't love it. when locked out it has a bit of movement. I used to have a Fox, which when locked out was solid.
I purchased a Fox FLoat 29 CTD for my SS recently and was completely unimpressed with the 'climb' mode. It was quite hard to tell any difference between 'Trail' and 'Climb' at all. Lockout? No chance.

I had a mini-whinge to my LBS (whom I purchased the fork from) & together with Sola sport, had the 'Flow Plate' upgraded. I have no idea if I've remembered the correct name of the change, or what the flow plate even does... -but I can tell you all that there is a HUGE difference.

The fork performs better all round, and the climb mode is an almost complete lockout. I couldn't be happier with it.

I just picked up what looks like an old rigid Litespeed its a 26er with horizontal dropouts and Vbrake only,

I'm tossing up between building it up with a nice V brake SS bits, Paul hubs, Velocity rims, XTR V brakes(or 2014 XT Vbrakes) etc and keeping it rigid and super light or getting a disc brake tabs welded on and going a modern wheel, disc brakes and suspension forks.

I just want someone one to slap me over the head and tell me to drop the coin on building it light rigid and V braked, or an honest opinion will suffice.
Im just struggling to justify it a little because it seems so antiquated
Went down this path of inquiry a while back during a project - disc brake tabs seemed too costly for the old Kona late 90's steel frame I had after getting quotes.
Sourced a set of XTR 952 V's for the rear - great stopping power and ended up with BB7 disc on the front after I got tired of the rigid fork and swapped it out for an 80mm fox float to keep the geometry reasonble.
Plus full length sealed XTR brake cables all round = as good as it gets cable actuated braking on the downhill bits.

My call: stick with V's (great with a robust wheelset) and if you're going for a custom front wheel use a disc hub to give the option of adding more stopping power later if you feel you need/go suspended.

Cost and bling single speeds shouldn't be used in the same sentence :encouragement:

Haylex

Likes Dirt
^thats going to be a rocket!

My budget rigid SS built from an old giant Iguana frame. Running an Alfine tensioner for ease of swapping cog and chainrings without adjusting the chain length, looks rubbish but works really well.

Can anyone recommend a nice plain black seat?

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Yep, definitely needs to be put on a diet. That'd be a real slug uphill :behindsofa:
Previous machine was 8.2Kg.... as this will be my Solo Marathon machine for 100km+ rides and 6/12/24hr events, I'm getting it as "usaeably" light as possible!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go lighter by getting a spiderless chainring for those cranks.

Oh, and if it were mine, I'd clamp on the carbon seatpost rather than an expensive carbon frame. Just sayin'