The stupid questions thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I find that I pedal out on the 34t way too quickly when gassing it down the hill. I can imagine that 32t is going to be noticeably worse.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I can't just put another pin in it?
Well you will need to cut the chain to the correct length...but it's more that if you need an emergency trail side repair a quick long and chain breaker will be necessary.

Depends where you ride, I hardly out-spin on the trails here with 32 -11 and if I do it's on a fire road.
...even just riding down the street can be a pain, especially if there a nice tail wind!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ha! I wish I could pedal my dh rig that fast. Was having trouble getting the new rig up to jump speed today a few times with the 34t "climb friendly" ring. I'll quite likely ride past the local speed check camrea in the next day or two...it has a very very very minor incline towards it, will speed check unless it's windy. Though that will be with a 36t ring. I used to run 40-44t front rings on my bikes but modern designs seem to not fit them.

safreek

Just dawned on me, maybe I should count the teefs on the front of the 9 speed single I am running atm and drop a couple of teefs.
I have a feeling that I am going to be disappointed with 10 as opposed to 9 gears.
Hope not, guess most of it is new though

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just dawned on me, maybe I should count the teefs on the front of the 9 speed single I am running atm and drop a couple of teefs.
I have a feeling that I am going to be disappointed with 10 as opposed to 9 gears.
Hope not, guess most of it is new though
That's probably a good gauge of what you're going to like.

Ha! I wish I could pedal my dh rig that fast. Was having trouble getting the new rig up to jump speed today a few times with the 34t "climb friendly" ring. I'll quite likely ride past the local speed check camrea in the next day or two...it has a very very very minor incline towards it, will speed check unless it's windy. Though that will be with a 36t ring. I used to run 40-44t front rings on my bikes but modern designs seem to not fit them.
I run a 48t on my 26" commuter with slicks and down hill it runs out at about 88Kms. I know I can get over 50ks with the 32 x 11 because I see it on my strava downloads all the time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
According to a YouTube thing I just saw they said to wipe the factory stuff off, but that is YouTube.
You need to watch part 2 of that video. It makes a great personal lube.

Wheels be 26. 88km is lots of fast. Once you get up in the cadence like that your ability to spin comes into it as well. I'm not good at spinning

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I struggle to see how you guys run such high speeds peddaling. A Maxxis 26x2.35 tyre has a contact roll of 2.05m and a 27.5x2.4 2.19m. With weight on board these will be less depending on tyre pressure. At 120 cadence and 32/11 the 26" tyre is doing a maximum of 43kph and the 27.5 46kph.

safreek

Anyone tried the CRC code, SALE2018. Doesn't seem to work for me. $155 with code typed in $155, not much of a $20 discount. Bastards. Who knows, it may work in a week when I will be ordering

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I struggle to see how you guys run such high speeds peddaling. A Maxxis 26x2.35 tyre has a contact roll of 2.05m and a 27.5x2.4 2.19m. With weight on board these will be less depending on tyre pressure. At 120 cadence and 32/11 the 26" tyre is doing a maximum of 43kph and the 27.5 46kph.
There's a lot of factors. Maintaining cadence at high speeds for example. Once I'm up past being able to power stomp and need to spin I'm stuffed. Where as there'll be plenty of guys on here who can spin up a storm and thus keep up with their bike longer. On dh track with a reasonably open run into a large jump this happens pretty quick. The old Coramba trail at Coffs used to have a few chutes like that. Slicks for around town and 60psi is a bit different. Smooth open streets, even a small downward angle and you quickly clock up some speed. Or you're riding into the wind like I just did and it sucks the bags.