The stupid questions thread.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by fairy1, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Likes Dirt

I use the cheap version of this cutter that doesn't have a rachet. Ran the oilstone over the edge for razor sharpness and never damaged a hose since.
    I was originally planning to do a bit of a hack and re-engineer it by cutting and shutting in yellow clampy thing to support half the circumference of the hose but never needed to in the end.

Attached Files:

2. pink poodle

pink poodle Clinically Inane

Just tell everyone you rip mad x-ups and you'll justify both the higher stem position and longer cables. Nobody will ever ask for proof either so you'll be safe.

That being the 2 yellow blocks that we also hold the hose with while punching in the spike?

3. Flow-Rider

Flow-Rider Eats Squid

It's not the very end of the brake hose that does the sealing, it's the compression of the olive to the brake handle bore and compression of the hose to the hose barb, When you use side cutters it's a no-brainier that they don't cut exact parallel to the handle so you need to turn them a bit to have a 90 degree cut. Some other brands of brakes have a small o-ring in end of the barb but still require compression from the olive to seal the hose.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 12:36 PM
    Ultra Lord likes this.
  4. Oddjob

Oddjob Eats Squid

5. Ultra Lord

Ultra Lord Likes Bikes and Dirt

^the easiest thing to use.

But if you already have good sidecutters.......... good enough for hydraulic lines on machines much more expensive than brakes, good enuf for my bike.

Flow-Rider and Zaf like this.
  6. Flow-Rider

Flow-Rider Eats Squid

My brakes and thousands of hoses that I've cut over the years have never leaked and it's actually worse using a blade because you have more chance of slicing your finger open and second, not having a clean cut and then having a small part of the hose fall in internally. I've seen very small bits of hose cause havoc many times where people haven't been careful to do a clean cut.

Ultra Lord likes this.
  7. pink poodle

Is that a cigar cutter for really thin cigars @Oddjob?

8. Stoopid question

If I am sposed to give 4weeks notice at work and I only give 2 weeks, I recall that they can take the remaining two weeks from my annual leave.

Is this correct ?

9. hifiandmtb

hifiandmtb King of his castle

I believe that to be the case.

10. The Duckmeister

The Duckmeister Eats Squid

Dat be dem.

11. Ultra Lord

Really? Damn.

Is it a contract thats stating 4 weeks notice or is it a standard for all?

12. slowmick

slowmick Likes Bikes and Dirt

Unless it states otherwise in your contract if you have one SJP.

13. scblack

scblack Wheel size expert

If you are supposed to give 4weeks notice, and don’t turn up the last two, they can simply deduct it from you. They may Choose to deduct that from leave, if you have it, but they don’t have to.

In reality, what else are they gunna do?

14. pink poodle

Surely @steve jobs' pancreas has enough sick leave and a wise doctor to get time off without being off?

15. Oh I have a veritable buttload of sick leave, however a leaving date shouldn't overlap with a commencing date.

Probs getting way ahead of myself right now.

16. pink poodle

One hand washes the other...some places I've worked they remind you that there is a trial period and it is best not to leave your other employment too soon...

17. Really, I've always been subject to a probationary period of 6 months but you are always expected to resign when you sign an offer for a new gig

18. Ultra Lord

Casual vs full time I suppose

19. pink poodle

Those were for full time adult jobsin government and non-government organisations.

20. Ultra Lord

Thats a horrible way to start a new job