The stupid questions thread.

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
If the times don't line up with towing & fining, then I'd probably pursue that angle.

Also, take photos if the spot so you can prove it's not marked.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I definitely went down to the place yesterday and in my rage saw the construction vehicle parked that way. I started snapping, both the road areas, lack of signage and their particular car parked in that way with no tickets at all. Think I'll call them today and first off ask if they have photographic evidence of how my car was parked (and if others were parked also), I'll be asking if any others were ticketed too.

Again, does anyone know and can direct me to where abouts I could find info for reasons why Police are allowed to request towage of a vehicle? Have tried looking through TORUM documents but haven't come across any solid info as yet...

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I definitely went down to the place yesterday and in my rage saw the construction vehicle parked that way. I started snapping, both the road areas, lack of signage and their particular car parked in that way with no tickets at all. Think I'll call them today and first off ask if they have photographic evidence of how my car was parked (and if others were parked also), I'll be asking if any others were ticketed too.

Again, does anyone know and can direct me to where abouts I could find info for reasons why Police are allowed to request towage of a vehicle? Have tried looking through TORUM documents but haven't come across any solid info as yet...
Are you sure it's the Police that did it? I'd be checking with your local council, it's more likely to be someone from there I reckon.

Maybe the construction company dobbed you in because they wanted to park there or something, they probably knew someone that could get a truck and get some fines written up or even just called the council to make a complaint.

The private road is interesting though, if the construction people owned it (presumably there's someone that owns it) then they can legally get your car towed or clamped I'm pretty sure.

As shitty as it sounds, I think you'll have to pursue it as a dodgy fine thing because you were fined twice after the car was towed. Even then I'm not sure how effective it will be. A yellow line usually indicates a No Standing or No Parking area, or even a driveway. There's a road near my grandmas nursing home that has yellow lines painted at the entrance to the driveways because heaps of people park in the street.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
12 problems:

So basically, I suck at maths (average mark is a B or so). Got pressured into doing methods by parents because lots of unis require it. But I am dying and am going to drop it mid year.

My question is, say I drop out of Methods and do Further, get an ATAR good enough to get into a decent uni course, but they require methods... Can I do Methods after Year 12 somewhere?
Not sure about the maths related question, but....

There is certainly some decent adult education centres around Melb/Vic. where you can do any subject you like (singular or full time load) either during the day or evening. I did my entire VCE back in 02/03 in Melbourne while I was working full time. did a couple of subjects during the day and a few a night (they are done in 4 hr blocks once per week). Got me into uni, still there 9 years later.

Centre for adult education in melb is great.
I imagine there would be something similar in the Geelong region or a regional centre.

moorey

call me Mia
Centre for adult education in melb is great.
I imagine there would be something similar in the Geelong region or a regional centre.
+1 for the CAE.
Ballarat uni TAFE used to offer VCE, but the axed it. i used to send students to the CAE to pick up particular units they needed. other TAFEs in Melb may still run VCE, or you could potentially do via distance Ed. And eat a dick, Theo

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Does anyone know if the Isle of Man TT is normally streamed or broadcast in Australia? I'd love to catch the action when it comes around in a few months.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you sure it's the Police that did it? I'd be checking with your local council, it's more likely to be someone from there I reckon.

Maybe the construction company dobbed you in because they wanted to park there or something, they probably knew someone that could get a truck and get some fines written up or even just called the council to make a complaint.

The private road is interesting though, if the construction people owned it (presumably there's someone that owns it) then they can legally get your car towed or clamped I'm pretty sure.

As shitty as it sounds, I think you'll have to pursue it as a dodgy fine thing because you were fined twice after the car was towed. Even then I'm not sure how effective it will be. A yellow line usually indicates a No Standing or No Parking area, or even a driveway. There's a road near my grandmas nursing home that has yellow lines painted at the entrance to the driveways because heaps of people park in the street.
It was the Police who contacted me and said they towed the car, and sent the fines with it. The road is owned by a business that occupies most of the block on one side, but the construction is for the road not the property. The yellow lines of course are no parking (if anything, Ill agree to pay the fine if they refund the others!) but we've parked over those lines since the private road was shut by the owners (unrelated to the construction) for about 4mths, and no one has ever yet been fined or towed.

From what I can gather, the construction guys contacted police about my car supposedly blocking a gate (again, which was not marked as a gate or access) and that they desparately needed access, police authorised the tow.. However according to the legislation they may authorise a towage only if the vehicle is in breach of the road use management act which states towing may be undertaken ONLY if:

For subsection (1), the presence of a vehicle, tram or animal on a road is hazardous if it is causing, or is likely to cause,
danger, hindrance or obstruction to traffic or is preventing, hindering or obstructing, or is likely to prevent, hinder oro bstruct, the use of the road or a part of the road for a lawful purpose.
My car was NOT hazardous or inconvenient to TRAFFIC or ROAD USERS, hence, they had no right to tow it. Further, no Tow Away signs or parking limit signs. Any law students on here want to draft me up a letter with all this? I dont get a day off for another week yet :/

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was the Police who contacted me and said they towed the car, and sent the fines with it. The road is owned by a business that occupies most of the block on one side, but the construction is for the road not the property. The yellow lines of course are no parking (if anything, Ill agree to pay the fine if they refund the others!) but we've parked over those lines since the private road was shut by the owners (unrelated to the construction) for about 4mths, and no one has ever yet been fined or towed.

From what I can gather, the construction guys contacted police about my car supposedly blocking a gate (again, which was not marked as a gate or access) and that they desparately needed access, police authorised the tow.. However according to the legislation they may authorise a towage only if the vehicle is in breach of the road use management act which states towing may be undertaken ONLY if:

My car was NOT hazardous or inconvenient to TRAFFIC or ROAD USERS, hence, they had no right to tow it. Further, no Tow Away signs or parking limit signs. Any law students on here want to draft me up a letter with all this? I dont get a day off for another week yet :/
A couple of things from my sucesses in the court room. Firstly it is best to go to court, judges are supposed to uphold the law, police just ticket everything.

Secondly you do not need a law degree in local court and they will mostly use plain english and the magistrate will explain things if required.

If you dont want to pay the fines you will be in for a long and time consuming effort, which may cost you more than the fines are worth.

Having said that, get time stamped pics of the site, check the legialation on how they fined you and just reasearch about it. There is vast ammounts of informantion on how to get off.

In regards to the legislation you quoted, you meet the last criteria of it being used for a lawfull purpose.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
12 problems:

So basically, I suck at maths (average mark is a B or so). Got pressured into doing methods by parents because lots of unis require it. But I am dying and am going to drop it mid year.

My question is, say I drop out of Methods and do Further, get an ATAR good enough to get into a decent uni course, but they require methods... Can I do Methods after Year 12 somewhere?
Most uni's will offer a bridging course over summer session before you start your first year and/or during first semester. It is very common for people not to meet the maths entry requirements. just be aware that they are run at a pretty fast pace and require large amounts of time to be spent outside of the classroom to keep up with the work. If there is any way you can get yourself through methods and not have to redo it later on that would be a better solution in my opinion.

The best thing I ever did for my maths was discover this website: www.patrickjmt.com It covers just about everything from year 9/10 maths through to most second year engineering maths. there is usually 3 or 4 short videos for each topic ranging from basic to advanced. they are explained really well and in a way that just seems to stick with you.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First, delete the app.
Second, install a non wanker app like runkeeper.
Third, Change to metric in runkeeper settings.
or just you know, delet the phone because riding is about, hmm riding i think it use to be? not beating another wanker in lycra

moorey

call me Mia
or just you know, delet the phone because riding is about, hmm riding i think it use to be? not beating another wanker in lycra
I use it to keep a track of monthly distance. Aim for a minimum 600km. Couldn't give a flying fuck about others. :noidea:

nathanm

Eats Squid
After around 4 months of trying I finally sell an old bike I no longer use for $350, which was an absolute bargain. Had probably 4-5 enquiries in that time.

The stupid question is why after all that time, when I actually sell it (and many other items like it) I get 4 offers to buy it in the same week, as many as I've had for the previous 4 months?

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Most uni's will offer a bridging course over summer session before you start your first year and/or during first semester. It is very common for people not to meet the maths entry requirements. just be aware that they are run at a pretty fast pace and require large amounts of time to be spent outside of the classroom to keep up with the work. If there is any way you can get yourself through methods and not have to redo it later on that would be a better solution in my opinion.

The best thing I ever did for my maths was discover this website: www.patrickjmt.com It covers just about everything from year 9/10 maths through to most second year engineering maths. there is usually 3 or 4 short videos for each topic ranging from basic to advanced. they are explained really well and in a way that just seems to stick with you.
Another invaluable resource for anyone who is having trouble with maths: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ Wouldn't have passed engineering maths without it.