The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Mammy

Likes Dirt
You'll need an adapter for the rear if you go disk. Hs22s are a fantastic brake still, I have them on 2 of my rides :)

Nice Sannie btw.
Cheers,
Any idea whether you can get an adapter that doesn't require mucking about with the rear hub?

floody

Wheel size expert
Slowly coming together. I bought a new-built wheelset from the states to rat the rims off of, and just slung them in with some tyres that were lying around for an idea of how it will sit.

Still can't find a 48.55mm mount Formula caliper for the rear, or a 185mm big bolt circle 4 bolt rotor for the front, and they're pretty much stalling the whole project. Nearly everything else I need for the brakes I can buy new from Formula.
Thinking of scratching that and going to Hope C2s. If that happens I might have to nix the idea of using the GT 4 bolt rotor hubs, which would be really sad.

Last edited:

Rodders

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Looking to sell a '98 DiamondBack Zetec Pro with Easton Elite frame in the near future if any Vintagers are interested...

I love these old GT's being brought back to life... Makes me wish I had more time to work on my old one... (1995 Team LTS) but it's hard enough just finding time to ride these days though...

EMF

Eats Squid
for what its worth

Slowly coming together. I bought a new-built wheelset from the states to rat the rims off of, and just slung them in with some tyres that were lying around for an idea of how it will sit.

Still can't find a 48.55mm mount Formula caliper for the rear, or a 185mm big bolt circle 4 bolt rotor for the front, and they're pretty much stalling the whole project. Nearly everything else I need for the brakes I can buy new from Formula.
Thinking of scratching that and going to Hope C2s. If that happens I might have to nix the idea of using the GT 4 bolt rotor hubs, which would be really sad.

Giant ATX dh1 circa 99 2000 ran formulas with large ID 4 bolts

keep an i on gumtree saw a ATX DH on there last week
an expensive option for brake bits if you still going formula

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Sadly my gt zaskar is now relegated to the wall. Big crack in the frame where seatpost meets the top tube. Now stripped down and on the hunt for a new frame.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sadly my gt zaskar is now relegated to the wall. Big crack in the frame where seatpost meets the top tube. Now stripped down and on the hunt for a new frame.

Were you after another one? I might have one or two GT's lying around, the Mrs wants them gone.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Hi fatman
Thanks yeah at some point. Interested to see what you have. This frame was a 98 LE 18 inch. Let me know what you are wanting to move on. I am in Melbourne.
Cheers russ.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi fatman
Thanks yeah at some point. Interested to see what you have. This frame was a 98 LE 18 inch. Let me know what you are wanting to move on. I am in Melbourne.
Cheers russ.
I've got a 97 Zaskar LE frame gathering dust, needs a polish and clean up and I have a spare sticker kit for it too............somewhere. Would like to see it go to a good home and your last effort was superb.

To be honest I have to get rid of:

87 GT Outpost
88 GT Timberline
96 GT RTS 2
97 GT Timberline
98 GT LTS 4000

And probably a few more.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
wow quiet a list, I will shoot you a PM. Keen on the RTS 2 and the Zaskar LE. and of course a Xizang but mu guess is that you would hang on to that one.

I've got a 97 Zaskar LE frame gathering dust, needs a polish and clean up and I have a spare sticker kit for it too............somewhere. Would like to see it go to a good home and your last effort was superb.

To be honest I have to get rid of:

87 GT Outpost
88 GT Timberline
96 GT RTS 2
97 GT Timberline
98 GT LTS 4000

And probably a few more.

EMF

Eats Squid
Close to vintage

Good old Kujo tyres on magic D321s and formula brakes vintage gear

The rest 2002 except for the Orange oury

Stew41

Likes Bikes
Rebuild of my first serious MTB - Giant ATX 780

This bike saw 4 seasons of racing with the FTF club in Melbourne in the mid nineties as well as various national and state rounds. The frame, mechs, front wheel and crankset are original, the Judy XC was an upgrade at the time of purchase, whilst the XTR v-brakes, XT shifter/brake levers and rear wheel are upgrades 'from the era'. Everything else much more recent.

Drivetrain working remarkably well however the front forks have some serious flex happening (I may swap over to a rigid fork). Also quite a task getting used to the geo - long and low slung with 12cm seat - bar drop in it's original form. That said, I can't remember complaining at the time!

Weighs in at 11.3kg.atz2.jpg

Attachments

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.

Good old Kujo tyres on magic D321s and formula brakes vintage gear

The rest 2002 except for the Orange oury
I had one of those frames many years ago, quite a good bike, ahead of it's time / one of the first real AM bikes.

Loving the formula's, second version by the looks, with the resivoir, I had the origonals which where a closed system, hence not great on a hot day with a long decent.

What are the forks?