Thredbo New All Mountain Trail

willsy01

Eats Squid
Sounds to me that the trail shouldn't have been open but Thredbo management stamped their feet and insisted given it's opening weekend.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that push up the hill to get to the AM track was a bit of a shock to the system, as was the (uphill) traverse at the end of the AM trail to join back to the end of the DH/flow tracks.
Yeah I would have happily sacrificed some altitude to get across to the flow trail rather than traverse but all in all it's a pretty sweet set up. Personally I'll just drop down to Friday flat then ride the road back to the chair.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I've uploaded a short clip of the AM track:

https://youtu.be/Om8mFRJSHqM

It is probably a bit over half way through the track.

I am still mucking around with YouTube. I can't seem to get it to retain the quality of the vids.
Try uploading videos to pinkbike, seems to retain more detail. Thanks for the video, gives a good idea of the track. Is that the only piece of enviromesh bridging at the end ?

Last edited:

Ideate

I am still mucking around with YouTube. I can't seem to get it to retain the quality of the vids.

Track looks fun. Thanks for sharing. Everyone has trouble with YouTube.. but if you get the right export render settings it's fine. I've got a preset if you want me to share but it's for GoPro 1080 60fps footage using Premiere.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
All in all it was a rad weekend except for a mate dislocating his shoulder on Saturday.
Was that over on the AM trail in the morning? If so, I saw your mate struggling down the hill, stopping to swear occasionally...looked to be in a fair bit of pain, I hope he's ok!

Some of the corners up the top part of the AM were a joke - never seen so much mud! Looking forward to heading back when it's dryer, and apparently around Christmas the temp access will be around the back, so hopefully won't include that bastard of a push up the hill!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was that over on the AM trail in the morning? If so, I saw your mate struggling down the hill, stopping to swear occasionally...looked to be in a fair bit of pain, I hope he's ok!
Yep that was him. Thankfully there was a heap of us so we were able to get him down safely. He wouldn't stay up there and let us bring the medics to him. So far he looks lucky. He was hurting at the time but looks like he hasn't done too much damage. I had a beer with him last night and he's already doing light physio!
Some of the corners up the top part of the AM were a joke - never seen so much mud! Looking forward to heading back when it's dryer, and apparently around Christmas the temp access will be around the back, so hopefully won't include that bastard of a push up the hill!
Yeah I'm back down Wed/Thurs next week to give it a good working over. I reckon it should be pretty dry by then.

Camdyson

Likes Bikes

Looks promising - thanks for the post. Where's your camera mounted?

Looks like December before I'll make it up there - hopefully dry and bedded in by then.

Cam

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with whoever said the flow trail needs some jumps. Tables are fine. Please?
it was I.

it just seems weird that a newb could hit the new AM track and it has way more features than the "harder" flow trail?

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
Try uploading videos to pinkbike, seems to retain more detail. Thanks for the video, gives a good idea of the track. Is that the only piece of enviromesh bridging at the end ?
i haven't yet finished with youtube. i found the youtube suggested format etc, and it looks like i already have everything at their preferred settings except for maybe running a too high bit rate. i'll have one more go at it at a lower bit rate and see if it comes out clearer. i just can't understand how the "professional" vids come out on youtube looking at LOT better, like how it comes out of the camera/editing software (not the crappy blurriness that i can only seem to do). maybe they have a "special" setup with youtube that allows higher bit rate?

failing youtube, i will then try vimeo. i'd never considered pinkbike, so i'll give that a go too.

that environmesh stuff shows up a few other times around the place. they definitely need more of it on the AM track tho.

Looks promising - thanks for the post. Where's your camera mounted?
camera is mounted on the handlebars. the vid is pretty much unwatchable until i run it through some very thorough anti-shake software. it is only my second go at it in this configuration, but i reckon it'd be the setup that i'll stick with. it only has a few issues, such as pointing a bit low into berms, and some weirdness from the software that appears when riding too close behind someone else (only really happens when riding uphill).

willsy01

Eats Squid
i just can't understand how the "professional" vids come out on youtube looking at LOT better, like how it comes out of the camera/editing software (not the crappy blurriness that i can only seem to do). maybe they have a "special" setup with youtube that allows higher bit rate?
They pay (and receive more views), therefore they are allowed higher quality.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I've got a chest cam mount and helmet mount, will get some footage over the weekend for people's viewing pleasure as long as you don't mind a fair amount of trail banter...

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting back on topic, I had a day at Thredbo yesterday and the mountain has dried up nicely and the Dirt Art and Thredbo crews have done a great job of repairing the damage done from the big opening weekend. The AM trail has only one corner now that is still muddy but it's not bad but it's very tacky and sticks to everything like shit to a blankie. The only sucky part about yesterday was the wind started at 45km/h and by lastnight was up to 90km/h. I ate shit on a jump when a gust knocked me sideways!!! Mmmmm the dirt was tasty. Looking forward to Cannonball next weekend.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting back on topic, I had a day at Thredbo yesterday and the mountain has dried up nicely and the Dirt Art and Thredbo crews have done a great job of repairing the damage done from the big opening weekend. The AM trail has only one corner now that is still muddy but it's not bad but it's very tacky and sticks to everything like shit to a blankie. The only sucky part about yesterday was the wind started at 45km/h and by lastnight was up to 90km/h. I ate shit on a jump when a gust knocked me sideways!!! Mmmmm the dirt was tasty. Looking forward to Cannonball next weekend.
Good to hear! :D Bring on Cannonball!

DJR

Likes Dirt
Hit it for the first time today, only one boggy corner. Seems pretty good, loving the woods section. I have gopro of the whole thing, I'll get it up after I finish the weekend as I'm sure I can get a better run going ( still managed 16th so far on strava in the part that is on there )

Last edited:

DJR

Likes Dirt
OK two vids getting uploaded/processed on pinkbike now. Should be ready to watch soon.

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/djr9000/channel/DH-Radness/

One is me on my first run, which wasn't that great being the first run

The other is my mate Dave who had a few runs down it already so has some idea of the track and can hold his speed a lot better. That run of his was very fast according to strava, in the top 10 so far.

The main thing with that track is carrying your speed as it changes its grade a lot, so if you can hold it open in corners, pump the terrain and keep pedalling where you can you'll have a good time.

Edit.... this one's ready http://www.pinkbike.com/video/430268/

Last edited: