Totally Over Magpies

Muznik

Squid
Had my 1st encounter of the season this morning when one had a half assed swoop.
I don't think it realized the missus was following me & reckon she startled it a bit.

Might have to rethink the route home from the bakery !

First one I've had swoop me in the past 2 years.

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
Sent the 13 year old to get some milk last weekend, comes back crying as she got attacked both ways. Still got the milk though, good kid.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Coolest selfies ever. You should don't look like you mind that added Magpie attention either.
Nah I just trust my helmet and glasses Haha it nests straight across the road so it sees me come out of the shed with my bike then flys across and sits above my driveway waiting for me cruise out, been happening for 3 years now but it's only about 50 metres from house to single track so if I'm in the mood sprint it only gets a swoop or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Nah I just trust my helmet and glasses Haha it nests straight across the road so it sees me come out of the shed with my bike then flys across and sits above my driveway waiting for me cruise out, been happening for 3 years now but it's only about 50 metres from house to single track so if I'm in the mood sprint it only gets a swoop or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ever thought about feeding them? Apparently they're pretty good a recognising different people, so becoming 'that awesome dude who gives us food' could be to your benefit.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Ever thought about feeding them? Apparently they're pretty good a recognising different people, so becoming 'that awesome dude who gives us food' could be to your benefit.
If you had that thing eating out of your hand, it would be hard not to lower yourself to thoughts of revenge.

Has anyone ever tried using a drone to swoop Magpies? I'd love to see some footage of a Magpie in full attack mode being surprised from above.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
No magpie is going to take that shit.

[video=youtube_share;96tdcJq72yc]https://youtu.be/96tdcJq72yc[/video]

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Some magpies hate particular colours, or will attack dogs, or things on wheels but let pedestrians go by, or attack the same individual year in your out. I subscribe to the feeding theory too, although it can get a bit crazy. I had about 3 generations of a magpie family camping on the front lawn of my old house waiting to be fed each day, squabbling among themselves over the scraps - perhaps 10 birds in total, and comfortable enough with us to eat out of your hand. The kids loved it and we never had any grief with them when breeding season was on.

But then you get the angry birds in places like parks and sporting fields that just want to tear your ears off...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
No magpie is going to take that shit.

[video=youtube_share;96tdcJq72yc]https://youtu.be/96tdcJq72yc[/video]
Absolutely hilarious, magpie made sure the drone was taken out completely! I wonder if some more skilful piloting could bring on an epic battle in the sky?

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Took the roadie out for a loop or 2 today, this bugger swooped me twice in my travels and met one in a new spot on my ride now...

Warwick

Likes Dirt
Havent been swooped on the bike this year yet. In the next street to my place is an extended family group of 18 magpie's. Every day of the year I walk my dogs, and the magpie's seem to know me and the dogs and dont even consider swooping me. Clever birds.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
On the way to cruise along the Darebin trails and the other half and I got attacked by a nasty maggie. 7 or so attacks and a lot of pecks to the helmet / ears, chased us for a long way too.
Not sure if it's been mentioned but this site is handy.

https://www.magpiealert.com/

Jerks.