Triple J Hottest 100- 2008

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Ok... I compiled this list comparing the Take 40 Count Down (Australia) and the Hottest 100...

In Bold and Red is where the song is currently this week on the Take 40..

#1 - Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire -NUMBER 11-
#2 - MGMT - Electric Feel -NUMBER 34-
#3 - Kings of Leon - Use Somebody -NUMBER 1-
#4 - Empire of the Sun - Walking On A Dream -NUMBER 20-
#5 - MGMT - Kids -NUMBER 18-
#6 - The Presets - Talk Like That -NOT ON THE CHART-
#7 - Pez - The Festival Song(feat. 360 and Hailey Cramer) -NOT ON THE CHART-
#8 - The Presets - This Boy's In Love -NOT ON CHART-
#9 - The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name -NOT ON CHART-
#10 - Drapht - Jimmy Recard -NOT ON CHART-
#11 - Ladyhawke - My Delirium -NOT ON CHART-

#75 - Tame Impala - Half Full Glass Of Wine -NUMBER 37-

Only a handful are being usher'ed as coooool on the Commercial waves at the moment... So really, only 6 out of 100 songs of the hottest 100 are being over played on Commercial at the moment.

Last edited:

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Patto - I'd be checking back to see if those Presets songs especially were on the charts earlier. Just because they aren't now, doesn't mean they weren't. The Hottest 100 is a bit delayed.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Everyone (in Melbourne) change to SYN! 90.7 SYN FM!

Guarantee you'll never hear the same song twice in a day, scope their website for the different nights, aka Monday-indie/electro, Tuesday-metal, Wednesday-hiphop.

DeBloot

Feeling old
I saw the Ting Tings do That's not my name live on the Ch 7 sunrise programme a couple of months ago
And Koshy really liked it :rolleyes:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
JJJ is commercial...
JJJ for all it's faults is still far away from being a commercial station.

For starters it has little in the way of adverts and still allows plenty of swearing - even during the day.

In the UK the nearest comparison (i.e national youth radio station) is Radio One where the daytime playlists are swamped with the likes of Beyonce, Katy Perry and Pink and the DJ's chatter is usually concerned with what happened on Eastenders the night before. More credible acts such as Glasvegas and Vampire Weekend do get a little look in but certainly not the exposure they get on JJJ.

I still have a soft spot for the J's despite it shoving heaps of really lame aussie hip-hop and bloody roots artists down it's throat. The alternative is the absolute drivel that gets served up by MMM or Nova...

DeBloot

Feeling old
FBI (in Sydney) isn't a bad alternative when you've had enough JJJ
96.4 I think
We're still lucky to have JJJ, but it is a lot different (as is the world) from the JJ days

And for something completely off topic, I was in Borders yesterday and on the musac stuff they play in the background, they had the Ramones and Blitzkrieg Bop. It made me feel very old and a bit sad

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Good to see Pez did so well
What, for that Bullshit Radio Whore festival song? Its as credible and substantial as every song with 'Radio' in the chorus or the odd swearword for indie appeal (ref Josh Fucking Pike).

Last edited:

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
774 ABC Melbourne for the win =]
What, for that Bullshit Radio Whore festival song? Its as credible and substantial as every song with 'Radio' in the chorus or the odd swearword for indie appeal (ref Josh Fucking Pike).

its funny, you seem to post small harsh posts first, such as, "No its not, Fucking Bullshit Radio Whore song." .. then i open the page to quote you to comment you harsly.. but then you edit it, and i cant , happened twice now :)

but any way floody, since you dont seem to like any of the music that people have mentioned, what should have done well???

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
that first fella put voted a damn good track list.
I put one vote on sea is rising-bliss n eso
didnt get as into it this year as previous years.
I reckon bliss n eso can pull it off. any one know who got album of the year? I didnt catch it

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wanted Jimmy Ricard to win, but kinda knew it would be out of KoL, MGMT or the Presets, didnt think the ting tings would be that high either, there not that good.

I still have a soft spot for the J's despite it shoving heaps of really lame aussie hip-hop and bloody roots artists down it's throat. The alternative is the absolute drivel that gets served up by MMM or Nova...
Me too.

The problem with commercial radio is that it is driven by advertising. The music that they play is only there to hold your attention until the next ad break. They have no interest in playing what they think is good music, only music that they believe you will tolerate and won't cause you to switch off or change stations. Triple J on the other hand doesn't rely on advertising for revenue and can therefore run the risk of alienating some listeners. The fact that they will play stuff that some people will hate also highlights their ability to play something that you will love, they don't need to pander to the middle.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
The fact that they will play stuff that some people will hate also highlights their ability to play something that you will love, they don't need to pander to the middle.

spot on!

i will frequently change from, JJJ, to 3AW and then even to nova, depending on what is on at the present stage.. worst part is, when you swap a station and you catch the arse end of a good song/segment.

spot on!

i will frequently change from, JJJ, to 3AW and then even to nova, depending on what is on at the present stage.. worst part is, when you swap a station and you catch the arse end of a good song/segment.
At least you have some choice, here in Nowhereville it's Triple J or SeaFM, which isn't a choice at all for me, it's the J's or nothing. Unfortunately the youth at work don't like the "youth network" so I get to spend nine hours a day listening to SeaFM turning my brain into mush.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Tune the radio to JJJ, then cover the dial in superglue.

Dial is then rendered useless, and the brainless youth will cry.