Tubeless Rim Tape

dunndog

Eats Squid
Here's a hard hitting question for the tech gurus amongst you.. When selecting a tubeless rim tape, what width do you select? Mt. rims are 24mm inside, would I be better with a 22mm or 25 mm width tape? Anyone have any suggestions that are good or stay away from? I'm about to go stans 25mm but just wanted to double check.. Cheers.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go 1" wide Gorilla tape personally. Stans tape never sticks for me. Gorilla tape had me inflating tyres with just a floor pump.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What he said. gorilla tape is more forgiving than stans, and doesn't tear as easy when you hit it with a tyre lever. Comes in a 1 inch wide roll, or wider and tear it to the width you need.

teK--

Eats Squid
U want it 5mm wider than the rim internal width so the tyre bead doesn't pull up the edges of the tape when u take tyres off.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Yeah. Gorilla. I normally go just a smidge wider than internal rim width. You don't want it on the rim hook, but likewise you need to watch out for picking up the tape with a tyre level when removing.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Yeah. Gorilla. I normally go just a smidge wider than internal rim width. You don't want it on the rim hook, but likewise you need to watch out for picking up the tape with a tyre level when removing.
So you take it a mil or so up the rim sidewall?

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
At most. I try to reach the sidewall. But I am not going to lie, I have unpicked the tape when changing a tyre. In my mind though, the tape is cheap, and if I am changing a tyre anyway, if I accidentally unpick the tape I'll just retape it.

I bought a 50mm wide tape, then used a Stanley knife, a flat surface for the tape an a thin book to lift the knife up the the desired height. I then cut into the reel. Now I have a massive, pre-cut supply that'll last ages for about $10.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
So you take it a mil or so up the rim sidewall?
Even with hookless rims, tape the same or a few mm wider as the internal width, won't go up the side walls due to the longer path across the rim bed because of the dip in the centre. With hooked rims, even more so.

Last edited:

brados20

Likes Dirt
I just converted my mavic 321s with gorilla tape. Bought the 1" from masters and cut it to size. Super easy and pumped up with a floor pump. Only ever burped once and I have been riding them for around a month so far.

DJR

Likes Dirt
After using stans and gorilla tape the one that's working for me is Norton PVC Outdoor masking tape. $5 for a roll at bunnings. Roll it on in 3 or 4 layers, does a good job and is pretty much the same as stan's just a bit thinner, but far cheaper

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Electrical tape does wonders, held up great until the rim exploded, let out a fair bit of air, disappointing. 35mm inner on the rim, 40mm external so electrical tape covered the whole rim.

Will be using stans tape on the new stans rims, guessing it's probably about exactly the right size for them.

JK101

Squid
I have always used Stans rim tape and try to make sure that I have the internal width covered although I have applied slightly less than the internal rim width and never had any problems. I have recently changed over to Gorilla for a trial and can't fault it. My LBS swears by it. You can't go wrong with either.

Is ghetto tubeless a thing of the past?
Have had my HT running ghetto for a few years now.
I'd say that was pretty economical.
Bit of sealant now and then and its all good.

stirk

Burner
I just set up the rear tyre tubeless with bear outdoor masking tape, 2 layers.

Pumped to 50psi with track pump and no soapywater without issue.

Didn't hear any bead 'seating' cracks.

Is hearing a cracking noise critical to know you have succeeded?

Rim is wtb sx23 with maxxis tomahawk TR tyre. It's holding air no problem.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Didn't hear any bead 'seating' cracks.

Is hearing a cracking noise critical to know you have succeeded?
Depends on the rim. UST rims that have the extra locking ridge on the shoulder a few mm in from the sidewalls will make cracking noises as the tyre pops over, but rims without that ridge won't, as the tyre will slide more easily up from the channel to the sidewall.

stirk

Burner
Depends on the rim. UST rims that have the extra locking ridge on the shoulder a few mm in from the sidewalls will make cracking noises as the tyre pops over, but rims without that ridge won't, as the tyre will slide more easily up from the channel to the sidewall.
Sweet! Thanks ducky, my rims are apparently OK tubeless but are not ust. I've always read about the crack so was worried something was not right. Can't wait to try it now!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
There's all sorts of shite that will work. Bear brand tape make a plastic backed tape that's similar to the stans stuff, when I was a glazier we used a 3M fibre reinforced clear tape, that looks similar to the stuff in that link. Shit would stick to anything, was water proof once applied and strong as all fuck.

The gorilla tape is easy to source, and comes in roughly the widths needed for rims.

If you're going sans tubes for weight reasons, don't. A bullet proof setup will probably come out on par for a standard tubed dealio.