Tubeless Rim Tape

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Depends on the rim. UST rims that have the extra locking ridge on the shoulder a few mm in from the sidewalls will make cracking noises as the tyre pops over, but rims without that ridge won't, as the tyre will slide more easily up from the channel to the sidewall.
Non UST rims are random on the crack. Both my flows did it, and bloody loudly too, thought I'd blown the tyre on the first one. Black flags, one only made a loud crack, the other a soft, dull doink noise. Arches, one cracked twice, bead on either side seated out of sync, the other was silent. The first two were with a compressor, the Arches with a shitty Repco floor pump.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Here's a hard hitting question for the tech gurus amongst you.. When selecting a tubeless rim tape, what width do you select? Mt. rims are 24mm inside, would I be better with a 22mm or 25 mm width tape? Anyone have any suggestions that are good or stay away from? I'm about to go stans 25mm but just wanted to double check.. Cheers.
I went the 25mm stans yellow tape on my new Flow Ex's (25.5mm inner width i think)
Sealed up perfect and fitted just right

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Here's a hard hitting question for the tech gurus amongst you.. When selecting a tubeless rim tape, what width do you select? Mt. rims are 24mm inside, would I be better with a 22mm or 25 mm width tape? Anyone have any suggestions that are good or stay away from? I'm about to go stans 25mm but just wanted to double check.. Cheers.
The 25 would be the best, get a little of the tape up the sidewall of the rim foe extra securedness.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Thanks to DJR, I got some Norton Bear PVC outdoor masking tape.

One run around each side of the MTX33, ghetto valve cut out of an old tube and the UST Ardent went straight up with a track pump. No sealant or soapy water.

DJR

Likes Dirt

One run around each side of the MTX33, ghetto valve cut out of an old tube and the UST Ardent went straight up with a track pump. No sealant or soapy water.
That's the way. $5 well spent! I've done about 6 rims with one roll of it so far. Just do at least 2 or 3 layers

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
[SUP][/SUP]i have tried relentlessly without success to ghetto tubeless my CX 700c wheels to no avail [even nought a ultra tubeless wheel], thanks to this thread bought some gorilla & electrical tape this morning -both of those little suckers are now up, actually the ultra wheel which is tubeless ready was harder than the normal rim -go figure.. i presume it has a little dip on the inside of the rim, which means the tyre has trouble seating

jarrod839

Banned

how are your tyres holding up without the sealant.

Z

Zaf

how are your tyres holding up without the sealant.
My LB rims I set up with similar stuff, PVC electrical tape just around the nipple bed, double wrapped.
No sealant in the tyres yet (they've been waiting for 3 weeks for my new frame to arrive, wanted it to go in fresh) and not lost a single PSI.
I did pull the front off to mount a different volume tyre, noticed that the tape dimples on the spoke holes from the pressure, but has not leaked.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Tubeless rim tape sealant?

was thinking of making my own sealant -but can't seem to finmd the mold builder often mentioned to use for the recipe, anyone know of a store in VIC that carries the liquid latex required?