Product Review [Warning: blood e.t.c.] Considering a Bell Super 3R... think again

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just ordered a convertible helmet. Ummed and ahhed for ages about whether I needed one, should I just go the Proframe as many suggested or just keep riding in my normal trail helmet.

In the end I decided the convertible one was right for me. My local trail (actually the one the o.p. had his crash) is fairly gnarly for my skill level. And ironically the more comfortable I become with the trail I feel I might be getting complacent. On the other hand I am fairly conservative and don't hit the bigger features and ride well within my ability so am not a frequent crasher.
I've hit a tree before and damaged teeth and it's not fun. Expensive and to be honest your teeth will never really be the same. So adding all that up I decided the convertible was for me.

I've very much an XC background so it's going to be really strange and I feel kinda silly/embarrassed but I'll get over it!

Ordered a Leatt DBX 3 Enduro

moorey

call me Mia
Fair call if it's racing. Race directors decide who does / wears what.
I didn't articulate it well, but I think you'd be better off with a proper full face helmet and a traditional one than getting a faux full face. Assess your own ability and make a call on what helmet to take.

I live close to Rotorua. Some of the tracks you'd be a spud to ride without a proper lid if you're going fast. It never gets to 40'c here, so yaw on you're own their chigs
No need to boast :(
I did 2x TransNZ Enduros in it. 2015 was hoooooot, and some days had 1800m of climbing and no shade. Some people did carry 2 helmets, but some people without the proper packs to carry a spare FF, appeared to struggle a bit.
It’s still something I’m contemplating though. The Bell has never let me down, but it’s certainly no substitute for my proper FF

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've just ordered a convertible helmet. Ummed and ahhed for ages about whether I needed one, should I just go the Proframe as many suggested or just keep riding in my normal trail helmet.

In the end I decided the convertible one was right for me. My local trail (actually the one the o.p. had his crash) is fairly gnarly for my skill level. And ironically the more comfortable I become with the trail I feel I might be getting complacent. On the other hand I am fairly conservative and don't hit the bigger features and ride well within my ability so am not a frequent crasher.
I've hit a tree before and damaged teeth and it's not fun. Expensive and to be honest your teeth will never really be the same. So adding all that up I decided the convertible was for me.

I've very much an XC background so it's going to be really strange and I feel kinda silly/embarrassed but I'll get over it!

Ordered a Leatt DBX 3 Enduro
I've got that helmet. It's really comfortable. Much cooler in summer than my TLD A1 without the chin on. The only thing I found is I had to stick extra padding under the "turbines" that sit on the top of my head as they dig in.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Bell Super DH arrived yesterday to use for when going overseas and there's a mixture of trails. Plus the Protec BMX helmet was due for replacement haha

Will still use the Giro Disciple for trips where I only need FF

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That said I've also seen some pretty big crashes where even inexpensive full face helmets have come out looking like they were still new. Anyone remember the cheap netti full faces from about 10 years ago? They could triumph over some pretty big impacts. Always tossed post crash all the same.
I had one of those Netti's, never crashed in it, but it sat in my garage for about the past ten years. This year doing a tidy up, I pulled it out by one of the straps and strap snapped under the weight of the helmet! My 1994 Troy Lee straps are rock solid, and I've never seen another helmet where the straps perished like that.

Good thread and I hope old mate is OK. I don't (think) I ride fast enough these days for chin bars but what is fast enough for a chin bar? It could be 30km/h, that will mess badly with your face if you go in chin first.

kezzad

Squid
Mate is all good everyone. He's had 4 teeth capped yesterday, and also ordered a Proframe too haha.

I grabbed one as well. So far it's identical, if not better, in airflow compared to the Bell.

He'll be back out next week!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
Hi all, I've been meaning to reply but it took a long time to get my account approved. I used to be a member of this forum years ago but I had totally forgot my login/password so I had to create a new account.

I am the guy that took the fall... It's been 2 weeks and 2 days since the accident.

Firstly I appreciate all the kind comments and well wishes. The plastic surgery on my chin went really well, coupled with my goatie you can't even tell now I had the accident. I went back to the surgeon for post op check and he was very happy with the results.

I had 3 x teeth break which have been since capped. Front left tooth, the Dentist is worried the nerve/root may be dying as I couldn't feel anothing at the time where as the other two using the cold test made me jump out of the seat. Over the weekend though, this tooth has become very sensitive and I can feel heat/cold again. Maybe thats a good thing. Either way it will be back to the Dentist for another check up.

As for the debate about the helmet, I/we will never know if it stopped worst injuries or caused it to be worse than it should have been. Either way the chin bar either flexed into my face, or my head moved in the helmet towards the chin bar, and I am no longer confident with these helmet's that have the removable chin bar. I think they give you a false sense of confidence, and I am pretty sure if I still had my TLD D3 Carbon I would have been ok, but again I'll never know (or want to know).

It has definitely destroyed a lot of my confidence whereas I was starting to get really comfortable on my Specialized Elite Carbon Enduro. Now I am going to have to ease back into it. I was going to go for a ride this past weekend, something chilled but alas, my bike this week had a recall/stop sale/stop ride for the Ohlins RXF 36 forks. I guess the bike gods don't want me back on the saddle :/

Anyways I will be back out there soon enough no doubt. Thanks again for the kinds words, this has always been such a good community of riders :)

-Andy

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Glad to hear your doing well Andy.

Your accident has bought back many little details and memories i had long forgotten from my similar accident.

With time hopefully it will be a distant memory for you too.

After my accident; every one of my riding mates who were with me that night and took me to the hospital etc quite mtb riding there and then. I got a new bike and tried to keep at it for a bit but we were all that age where cars and girls became more of a focus i guess.

I had to have plastic surgery on my mouth/ lips and nose too which id forgotten about, and also spent a long time with broken, missing teeth / which put a big dint in my personal confidence etc. Again long forgotten now but at the time it was very stressful and felt a lot like the end of the world to 17-18yo me.

My teeth/ jaw has never been quite the same and cold temperatures can bring on all sorts of aches and pains.

I dont blame you for loosing confidence in that helmet, i still think it helped but the broken chin bar isnt acceptable imo. Flexing and impacting your face is one thing but to snap and stab you... thats shit.

Ive been looking at these different helmets this last week since reading this thread and have decided against the convertable types after handling them and i think im going to go with the Fox Proframe.

Again best wishes for a full and speedy recovery and hope your back on the trails soon.

Travis.

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the reply Travis, I apologise for bringing up bad memories :) At least you aren't alone, and speaking with the MTB community I've realised there are many people out there who have been in hospital. It doesn't totally make it feel ok, but accidents happen and at the time I felt like it was my fault and it could have been avoided. Sure it could have been, but these things happen in a split second, and no matter how careful you are these things happen to the best of us.

A few weeks prior to me coming off, a good mate of mine was riding Ourimbah and came off at the start of the DH section. We didn't think he got clipped in properly (I am pro flats and will never go clipless) and he came off a drop, foot came off the pedal and he broke his pelvis on the landing hitting the seat and then went OTB and broke his collarbone too. He is still at home recovering without being able to go to work, and won't be able to ride till end of the year at best.

I have been riding bikes since I was young, racing BMX up until my mid 20's then after that just social MTB riding. I felt like I was a competent rider, then this has now got me second guessing myself and I fear I am going to be hesitating on a lot of stuff now, which then could lead to more injuries.

I agree, the helmet shouldn't have failed like that. You can see the dirt on the chin bar, only on the top part and then the small dent on the forehead. I've gone OTB, clipped the chin bar on the ground and rolled with it. At the time I didn't think anything of it, I got up and probably in shock just thought I was winded and wanted to walk it off. It wasn't until kezzad (OP) said you should sit down, I knew something was up. It's a good thing your body doesn't allow you to remember the pain you felt at the time. You can have memories of the actual crash, but the pain, your mind doesn't store it and you move on in that sense. I still remember clearly hitting the rock in the trail and being sent OTB though.

I bought the fox proframe whilst lying in bed, unable to move 2 days after the accident :) I just hope it's as good as people make it out to be. It breathes well, is lighter than a hardcore DH helmet, but doesn't have a removable chin bar. Upon inspection it definitely feels a lot more solid. I hope I never have to test it out like that day but I feel better knowing I no longer have the Bell super 3r as a failure waiting to happen.

On a side note, I had my dentist after fixing my teeth, take an imprint and is currently having a fitted mouth guard made up. I will wear it on the trails I felt I was pushing myself on previously. I honestly don't care what anyone thinks anymore, it's all about self preservation and having the confidence to get back on the bike and have fun again. I will do what it takes :)

Last edited:

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
@Andy_Ryder - one thing I'm curious about, did the chin-bar actually detach from the helmet in the accident?
The chin bar remained on the helmet! The locking mech on the sides and back clamp down pretty well. I know the Giro Switchblades have an issue with the chinbar flying off in a crash!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The chin bar remained on the helmet! The locking mech on the sides and back clamp down pretty well. I know the Giro Switchblades have an issue with the chinbar flying off in a crash!
Well, that's one positive in a very shitty situation I guess.

I wouldn't want to "test" it in use, but I really wonder how the Proframe would fare in comparison for strength of the chinbar. To my eye, it looks like the biggest issue in your accident is the helmet/chinbar has hit something like a sharp rock and the concentrated impact has snapped the plastic.

I definitely feel the 3R is a little flimsy right at the front of the chinbar, and I think probably part of the problem is that the very front of it is basically just thin plastic in a C-section with a little (very little) padding glued on. I wear one mainly in the hopes it stops me cutting my face up in a crash (I'm ugly enough already), but wonder how much of an improvement the Proframe would be with its fairly open/thin tubed chinbar design.

I wish there was something with a sturdier chinbar again, but still with the venting around the head of the 3R or Proframe, etc... I really am surprised how far behind the manufacturers are compared to what a lot of mid-level or high level riders actually want.

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
The chinbar design on the proframe feels more solid though to me, but I question all helmets now. I don't know exactly what the chinbar hit, my mate at the time reckons it was just a soft dirt berm and you can see in the pics the redish/brown dirt on the chin bar. You are right there is minimal padding on the 3r but I didnt expect to have my face actually touch it like it did. It's the way the removable chinbar clips on, if you flex it before you actually put it onto the helmet you can understand how it could flex like it did.

At the end of the day, it's happened, and people can see what the helmet is capable of (or not capable of) and decide if they want to risk it. I am not considering the proframe to be a hardcore full face that would suit full on DH situations, but for normal trail riding it should be good as long as i adhere to my skillset :)

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
Oh and for the proframe, this guy hit the chinbar hard and it held up. He had a concussion but as you will see it didn't break and chin bar is perfectly in tact.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I ended up buying a Kali full face as I was a little worried about the Bell Super 2R I have with a big hit. The shop I bought it from does more BMX stuff than anything else (picture 10K BMX race bikes...). The guy there (who is quick on an MTB) said he'd seen a few Proframe's essentially explode into bits with big impacts. I'd not heard of this, but there was no reason not to believe him. My Kali was cheaper than the Proframe, so it wasn't like they were making better money from the Kali.

kezzad

Squid
Oh and for the proframe, this guy hit the chinbar hard and it held up. He had a concussion but as you will see it didn't break and chin bar is perfectly in tact.

Empty helmet aint a crash test.

I propose we go back to where you came off and recreate the crash.

Thoughts?? :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk