Product Review [Warning: blood e.t.c.] Considering a Bell Super 3R... think again

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I ended up buying a Kali full face as I was a little worried about the Bell Super 2R I have with a big hit. The shop I bought it from does more BMX stuff than anything else (picture 10K BMX race bikes...). The guy there (who is quick on an MTB) said he'd seen a few Proframe's essentially explode into bits with big impacts. I'd not heard of this, but there was no reason not to believe him. My Kali was cheaper than the Proframe, so it wasn't like they were making better money from the Kali.

As long as the helmet exploded into bits and saved the rider, thats all that matters.

I guess it really comes down to horses for courses. At one end of the spectrum are XC helmets and at the other are MX helmets, everything else falls in between. I'm positive that a Bell 2r/3r would provide more protection than a XC helmet. A MET parachute/Fox proframe would be better again and so on. Weight and ventilation are the obvious trade offs.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

kezzad

Squid
As long as the helmet exploded into bits and saved the rider, thats all that matters.

I guess it really comes down to horses for courses. At one end of the spectrum are XC helmets and at the other are MX helmets, everything else falls in between. I'm positive that a Bell 2r/3r would provide more protection than a XC helmet. A MET parachute/Fox proframe would be better again and so on. Weight and ventilation are the obvious trade offs.

The Proframe has more airflow than the Super 3R. No trade off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The Proframe has more airflow than the Super 3R. No trade off.

That's true, but my 661 Flight 2 (which is MX certified) is a much heavier and hotter beast than my MET parachute. I imagine most full on DH and MX helmets would follow that trend.

kezzad

Squid
What about if a Super 3r fits and the Proframe is uncomfortable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sort the pads out in the Proframe.

And make sure you're wearing the Proframe at the right angle too.

slowmick

38-39"
If the Proframe doesn't fit, ride with no helmet, crash to make head pliable, use Proframe to support/shape head during recovery. Tada.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Wondering if anyone has done the Bell 3R to Super DH swap?

Is the chin bar any sturdier?

rsclio

Likes Dirt
OK so this is what my proframe looked like after a decent crash at the Gravity Enduro Nationals last year.
Major dislocation of 8 bones in my left wrist with surgery and pins spent the weekend in Royal Adelaide.
Bit of a cut on the chin requiring 3 stitches - I may have had a minor concusion too.
Did its job perfectly
My confidence however is still pretty fucked

Attachments

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
OK so this is what my proframe looked like after a decent crash at the Gravity Enduro Nationals last year.
Major dislocation of 8 bones in my left wrist with surgery and pins spent the weekend in Royal Adelaide.
Bit of a cut on the chin requiring 3 stitches - I may have had a minor concusion too.
Did its job perfectly
My confidence however is still pretty fucked
Glad you are ok mate, same position as me. Massive confidence killer and I'm only 2 weeks out of hospital.

What did you replace the helmet with and how is your riding now? Avoiding a line stuff you used to do? Do you now wear a full face all the time etc.

It looks like the helmet did hold up well and by the looks of it you took a big hit. Makes me feel better about the proframe.

One of our mates did his collarbone and both wrists in one crash a few years back now. You can tell when he rides he is more careful than what he used to ride. More into xc stuff rather than DH and jumping.

MTB, not a forgiving sport.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Definitely taking things easier now.
Yeah the helmet took a big hit and did what it was supposed to.
I just replaced the full face as up till recently only been xc / trail riding
I actually went with a Bell super DH which does seem pretty robust

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
Definitely taking things easier now.
Yeah the helmet took a big hit and did what it was supposed to.
I just replaced the full face as up till recently only been xc / trail riding
I actually went with a Bell super DH which does seem pretty robust
Is it more comfy than the proframe? I don't think I could go another bell, just too much damage to my face to have any sort of confidence in them. I'm sure it's good, much better than the 3r either way.

Lodging case with lawyer to see if I have any legs to stand on against bell, even if I got my medical Bill's reimbursed I'd be happy.

The chin bar shouldn't meet any standards in my opinion. Your proframe on the other hand did well! I'm not the type of person to sue someone or a company but the amount of pain I'm in from the stitches and plastic surgery I'm now a bit angry about it all.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

slowmick

38-39"
Would be cheaper to get an MTBA Licence or a Bicycle Network Membership or Wiggle Insurance to cover the inevitable in riding a mountain bike.

I am a pretty tame rider and even I've had 3 trips too hospital from riding a mountain bike. MTBA did a pretty good job of covering my rehab bills for my last effort.

If you ride, you will fall off.

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
Would be cheaper to get an MTBA Licence or a Bicycle Network Membership or Wiggle Insurance to cover the inevitable in riding a mountain bike.

I am a pretty tame rider and even I've had 3 trips too hospital from riding a mountain bike. MTBA did a pretty good job of covering my rehab bills for my last effort.

Never thought of insurance! Interessssting.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Giro sent me a new helmet, next model up iirc when i had my stack years ago.

Called to ask about any sort of crash replacement program and explained the situation... they were fantastic, sympathetic and caring and again sent me out a brand new helmet no charge. Was a different ‘era’ then.

Before you lawyer up id probably contact Bell or their rep and have a chat. Personally id be pretty happy if they offered up a replacement higher quality helmet given you dont want the same one again, but i do understand where your coming from on the grounds that the chinbar snapped and stabbed you in the face... see what they have to say.

Travis.

rsclio

Likes Dirt

Yeah MTBA insurance covered 85% of my non medicare expenses- which included a shit load of hand pyhsio

I'll have to do aside by side test for Bell Super DH vs proframe as my son has a proframe that I can try .
Stay tuned

scblack

Leucocholic

Its a damn good point. I think I will be doing that. MTBA here I come.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Lodging case with lawyer to see if I have any legs to stand on against bell, even if I got my medical Bill's reimbursed I'd be happy.
Let me start by saying that it sucks crashing and I'm glad that the damage wasn't more severe and that you're on the mend, the confidence will come back but it usually just takes a bit of time.

I have the MTBA insurance, I mainly got it for commuting in case I plow into someones Lambo but knowing they will also cover me if I have a dirt knap gives me piece of mind.

Now, I think you might have bumped your head a bit harder than you thought. I'm pretty sure that Bell will have put a little piece paper in the helmet box that lists a website with about 1 million clauses stating that they aren't liable for pretty much anything and I doubt your average no win-no fee amulance chaser will come out on tops against Bells legal team, especially when you are riding trails that aren't actually legal iirc.

So when your lawyer gets turned away by Bell does he then go after the Council that know and tolerate the trails?

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
The convertible helmets are not marketed as a full protection helmet to start with. Every disclaimer says a helmet cannot protect against all incidents, so you'll get nowhere. You're wasting your time.