Product Review [Warning: blood e.t.c.] Considering a Bell Super 3R... think again

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Seeing these photos does reinforce my fear with the Super 3R, which I use.

I’ve always assumed that the chin bar was designed to flex a fair bit upon impact (thus slowing down the deceleration of my head), but intuitively it doesn’t feel like there’s sufficient room between chin bar and my chin for this to happen without my face being part of the crumple zone.

I don't really understand how people use these helmets?
I haven’t found it as convenient as I’d hoped. It has worked well for me on Epic at Mount Buller and at Falls Creek, where both the climbs and downhills are long (so I’d already be stopping for a drink and a chat at top and bottom anyway). Bright would probably be good too, but I shuttled Hero after the first run the only time I’ve ridden there.

But at something like You Yangs I just wear it as one or the other. Typically full face, but I started open face last time I went with a less skilled and less aggressive mate. Of course I then went OTB twice on my very first run, which was a good reminder you don’t actually know when you’re going to crash. Fortunately first crash was pretty innocuous, and the second I merely grazed the top of the helmet as I summersaulted, taking the brunt of the fall on my shoulder and kidney region. Granite is not forgiving, and so I was lucky to escape with a painful reminder to definitely wear a full face there from now on.

But even then I ride a lot down at Aireys Inlet. 25-minute gentle climb, 6-minute descent. For a while a few of us were egging each other on, especially on the descent but also the overall loop (so no stopping). Quite a few spots on a descent averaging 30kmh where you whizz past trees with very little margin for error a lot faster than that.

A mate clipped his shoulder on one six months ago, breaking his wrist and putting him out of action for a few months.

Fortunately I haven’t seriously crashed there once in 150-odd visits, but posts like this remind you it only has to happen once.

goobags

Likes Dirt

Not exactly the 3r but very similar.

I own a Super 3r as my only helmet. Had it for a few months and haven’t put the chin bar on. Bought it as it was either that or the Sixer and few a few extra dollars I could get something that I may use a few times a year. Not really interested in shuttles but will pedal myself to the top of a hill and smash back down.

Hope your mate isn’t haunted by this accident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
I don't really understand how people use these helmets? Personally I have a Fox Flux (due for an update) and a Troy Lee D3, and I kinda wear one or the other. Commuting/XC/Trail stuff I wear the Flux, and Downhill/Shuttles I wear the D3.

For helmets with a removable chin bar - do you take it off for the climbs, then clip it back on for the rides down? I just don't really see the utility of it, considering people bitch about the inconvenience of having to lock out their fork and shock for a climb - seems like a very long process of stopping, helmet off, unclip it, bag off, unclip it, put it in your bag, bag back on, ride up the hill, stop, bag off, clip it on, bag back on, helmet back on, ride down the hill, repeat.. I suspect I would just end up leaving it on or off for entire rides, in which case I'd feel better having a dedicated half shell or full face.
Nope I just take the FF helmet off and strap it too my backpack or hang it off my bars for the climb.

To the OP, hope your mate makes a good recovery

I thought the reason the 2r/3r didn't meet certification was the clamping mechanism wasnt strong enough? The chinbar on my parachute is considerably skinnier than the 3r but meets standards still, so I figured that made sense. I wonder if that chinbar was compromised somehow or had a manufacturing defect?
The lack of certification related to penetration testing. That's why the Super DH has a more closed design for the chinpiece.

As for that reason I'm not sure how the Fox Proframe complies with the DH rating as its chinpiece is the most ventilated on the market...

I've seen more than 1 face bleeder wearing the 2r/3R... not sure if that is an indication of anything.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Sorry about your mate. I hope it doesn't dent his enthusiasm long-term. Looks pretty painful.

All this discussion about these detachable chin bar helmets kinda makes me shake my head & wonder why you guys buy them?
I'm a pretty consistent crasher (balls, & need-for-speed often outweigh my limited skills!)
So when it was time to get a new helmet I didn't even considered these detachable have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too helmets.
I knew I would say "fuck it, she'll be right" and leave the chin guard in the ute.
And my engineering instincts were suss on the interface between chin guard & lid.
With the Proframe & the Parachute on the market, it's a no-brainer (pardon the pun). They are both excellent, fully ventilated full face helmets that
cannot be downgraded on the fly.
So now I wear a Proframe (which ventilates just as well as my old open-face - no shit, it does) whether I'm just riding the local familiar loop, or shuttling Maydena. I couldn't give a fuck if someone thinks the Proframe is overkill on an XC trail.
I have a mortgage to pay, kids to raise and a job to hold down.

kezzad

Squid
Completely agree with you mate.

I ordered a Proframe earlier this arvo because they're the conclusions I came to!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Never held a Super 3R, how do they compare with a Giro Switchblade?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I bought. 3r because.. well marketing hype. Never once pulled the chin off.
Lately riding harder and thinking I need a better one, one that ventilates well as well as keep your egg in one piece is top of the list.
So was just about to go the Proframe but the new Troy Lee Stage due out September looks excellent. Think I’ll be getting one.

scblack

Leucocholic
I considered a Super 2R a while back. I came to the conclusion that having a proper FF helmet (TLD3 carbon) and a XC helmet was a better compromise. If I am doing a full DH run I want a helmet as good as I can manage. If I am just out for a spin on trails, I do not want to have to bugger around for 10mins+ to remove a chin guard. Plus my XC helmet is used for road riding too, so did not want extra for that riding.

I will deal with the lesser ventilation and head heat for my riding with the FF on. Its not that bad.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I considered a Super 2R a while back. I came to the conclusion that having a proper FF helmet (TLD3 carbon) and a XC helmet was a better compromise. If I am doing a full DH run I want a helmet as good as I can manage. If I am just out for a spin on trails, I do not want to have to bugger around for 10mins+ to remove a chin guard. Plus my XC helmet is used for road riding too, so did not want extra for that riding.

I will deal with the lesser ventilation and head heat for my riding with the FF on. Its not that bad.

Can't be too careful.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Wow hope the injured rider recovers OK. As a regular rider of Narra and also the wearer of the Bell Super DH, i'm really wondering how that helmet would have fared in the same impact as the 3R....being DH rated, hopefully a lot better!

And people wondering about the merits of the convertible helmets....I didn't want to have the expense of owning 2 helmets, to sold my old Montaro and bought the Super DH. Chin bar goes on for gravity days/races at places like Green Valleys, or if i'm hitting up gnarly trails or features for the first time. Then the bar comes off and stays at home for trail riding.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.

I’m with old guy. Spend the money on an open face and proper full face. Carry your full face if you get that hot on the climbs. If you’re going to give yourself a head injury on a slow uphill youre a candidate for a Darwin award anyway.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Agree w Moorey etc with that force he would have been worse without a chin bar.
I know someone who rode one of the tracks with a drop off who fell on his chin smashing his jaw and some teeth fell out.
Was major surgery .

moorey

call me Mia
I’m with old guy. Spend the money on an open face and proper full face. Carry your full face if you get that hot on the climbs. If you’re going to give yourself a head injury on a slow uphill youre a candidate for a Darwin award anyway.
I’m calling that you haven’t done a full (or multi-day Enduro) in 40 degree heat.
Have been asked by commisaire to wear the helmet on the climb/liaison, as it’s part of the race. Carrying 2 helmets while racing is an utter ballsack in my opinion. Have done it before, will do it on tracks that I know are more likely to hurt me, but really don’t like it.
Just waiting for the other thread where someone stacks and is injured falling on the second helmet.
This is more aimed at others comments than yours, but still a bit you, my friend :p

Travis22

Likes Dirt
No doubt in my mind had he been in a open face helmet it would have hurt a hell of a lot worse!

I smashed my face up pretty good when i was 18. Was wearing a mid/upper level Giro XC helmet at the time and landed face first. Helmet smashed up, nose broken, black eyes. 5 teeth smashed out, 2 teeth were still in my mouth but were easily twice as long as they should have been and bent back such i couldnt close my jaw. Shredded my mouth/ lips, hole through my chin via the lower teeth going through it that you could fit a couple fingers through.. had about 10 root canal’s done etc etc etc. That was just my face, whole body took a beating and the bike was a write off.

Cannot help but think i should be looking at these current convertable helmets a little closer, probably will now as i think back on that old stack.

Travis.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I’m calling that you haven’t done a full (or multi-day Enduro) in 40 degree heat.
Have been asked by commisaire to wear the helmet on the climb/liaison, as it’s part of the race. Carrying 2 helmets while racing is an utter ballsack in my opinion. Have done it before, will do it on tracks that I know are more likely to hurt me, but really don’t like it.
Just waiting for the other thread where someone stacks and is injured falling on the second helmet.
This is more aimed at others comments than yours, but still a bit you, my friend :p
Fair call if it's racing. Race directors decide who does / wears what.
I didn't articulate it well, but I think you'd be better off with a proper full face helmet and a traditional one than getting a faux full face. Assess your own ability and make a call on what helmet to take.

I live close to Rotorua. Some of the tracks you'd be a spud to ride without a proper lid if you're going fast. It never gets to 40'c here, so yaw on you're own their chigs

Last edited: