What are you listening to NOW?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Chef here blasts a diverse mix of shitty pop and 90s metal/grunge. It leaks from the kitchen to the bar and sometimes it's good.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Local coffee stop had "It's a mystery" by Toyah playing the other day. Recorded well before the owner was born so I asked if he had any of her albums/wanted any. He had no idea, the music was some random mix they stream.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ Spotify I assume...that app is just creating a populace without any comprehension of music. Even the packer heads that generate the seemingly unending playlists seem to have no idea. Naturally this program is wide spread in the cafe world as it allows for quick and endless supply of music, just punch in "cafe music" for the search man...sigh.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I'd argue its doing the opposite - exposing people to more music. Just need to bookmark a few tracks from the spotify radio/playlists, and then use those to generate a new list. Its not perfect, but I've discovered a tonne of bands that way.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'd argue its doing the opposite - exposing people to more music. Just need to bookmark a few tracks from the spotify radio/playlists, and then use those to generate a new list. Its not perfect, but I've discovered a tonne of bands that way.
I hope so. My experience has been mindless 18-23 year olds punching in shit like "wake up mix" "morning songs" or "cafe music" etc etc and then having to hear shit like Bieber, Taylor Swift, kendrick Lamar, + other bland as fuck pop icons with a few cliche hits of yesterday thrown in so that the music doesn't match/flow and fails to create any sort of mood. Then if their friends like the playlists these mankey anuses are treated like some kind of dj super star for simply selecting a playlists. It is fucking wierd man.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
You gotta seed the algorithm, mannnn. I think if you start collating stuff on spotify that you like, then it can suggest some good things too. But not always.

I'll agree that the subtle art of making a mixtape is lost, however. I once held a party back in uni and made people make mixtapes (on cassette) to provide the music. Was pretty cool for a nostalgia thing and get a feel for taste of your friends. Ugh, but it was 12+ years ago already.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ one cafe I worked in had a rather diverse (age, nationality, gender, socio-economic status, and so on) being on a tertiary education campus. I thought it would've been a gold mine for "mix tapes", even asked a few peeps to hook one up (6 songs, any 6!) for us to run a "guest dj" slot Thursday lunches...nobody ever took on the offer. Feedback I got was people were too worried they'd get embarrassed by their selections! Fuck me dude...you're a 60 year old lecturer, I think you'll survive.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Haha, during uni the only confidence I ever had was in my music taste - would have jumped at the chance to subject people to my tunes.

I'm now tempted to make a playlist on spotify and hijack the gym's stereo one night. Gyms are the worst for music. Limp Bizkit came on the other night and I almost walked out. Normally I'm focused enough to not tune in, but thats not fair!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh wow...they were so cool way back never. But I won't lie, when coal chamber, insane clown pose, korn, and that whole sound (I often wonder what happened to my friend's band "Bias"? They had some good tunes they played in the garage) was cool I grabbed a burnt copy of their first album. It got a few plays and for obvious reasons never made it into high rotation, being th as t it was 99.9% bullshit.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Playing some computer games atm, a bottle of red down and absolutely loving life melting into the couch (gaming laptops are great fyi) with these guys blaring through my headphones.

Flying down to hobart in a couple of months time to see these guys play, cannot wait.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The film clips from “valhalla rising”, a very odd movie. I rate it, buts its not for everyone. Acid trip film with vikings :)

Kyuss was abit of a gateway band for me. Turns out I like music slow, heavy and loud.

Onto some uncle acid and the deadbeats now. Another strange clip. One of my favourite band names ever.