What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
threw some flats on the duallie last night, my hip flexor is weak AF, i had my giro rumble..bit firm...but had zero grip on the saint pedals, rode quarry pk in melb inner west, i then realised the saint pedals had little washers spacers on the bolts, removed all the outer ones, still not enough grip..
there is a tiny pebble rock garden, my feet kept bouncing off—

how the hell do you guys do it..r u deliberately transferring all weight actively standing in rock gardens to pedals, attempted 1 tiny jump, got 0.5cm in the air, feet stayed on ok for that, but still felt like i could have gone floating, do peeps buy longer pins, have some softer sole shoes on the eay
I found getting rid of the Saint pedals for something with actual grip helped quite a lot.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
thanks for feedback, might grab some nylon pedals off fleabay with bigger pins
pedals matter.... a lot.

If you're going to get nylons get Crank Brothers stamps or Raceface chesters, don't just get any old pedal. Something big and a little concave.

I don't think I'll ever use anything other than DMR vaults, i've tried to ride other peoples bikes with their pedals on them (shinamo saint included) and it honestly feels like a completely different bike and very sketchy.
No shit if you have good pedals and shoes its like being clipped in... ish.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Heels down and compress compress compress.
youre probably doing the unconscious clipless thing of pulling up with your feet at jumps and bunny hops.
should be driving that bike into the ground at the takeoff and mostly letting the suspension jump for you.
rock gardens it’s just practice practice. practice.

I tried clipless for a while then went back to flats. I realised I’d started to collect those bad clipless techniques.

Saints are overrated and I hated them.
^^This^^

you need good pedals and shoes (I'm using 5-10s and VP harriers) but the main reason your feet are coming off is you are lifting them off.

Heels down and don't pull the bikeup like you do when clipped in!! it wont work. Compress before the rock garden then raise up letting the suspension unweight the bike but keep your heels down and your feet will stayed glued to the pedals.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
pedals matter.... a lot.

If you're going to get nylons get Crank Brothers stamps or Raceface chesters, don't just get any old pedal. Something big and a little concave.

I don't think I'll ever use anything other than DMR vaults, i've tried to ride other peoples bikes with their pedals on them (shinamo saint included) and it honestly feels like a completely different bike and very sketchy.
No shit if you have good pedals and shoes its like being clipped in... ish.
+1 for the nylon crank bros stamps.

I also bought some longer M3 brass cap head screws from ebay. Pedals have tonnes of grip now. Wearing five tens as well.

Before and after photos for reference.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
10-15 rides before I started to feel less scared and slippy on flats... It’s like learning to ride all over again, especially anything involving getting any air. It will go horribly wrong at some point when I get careless/over confident but so far so slashed shins.

Just stick with it I guess. Heels down...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just got back from the Dial Range.
Went bush bashing looking for old single track up in the hills. Found a bit of it but mostly old neglected tracks and bumpy fire roads. The old Falcon ute scrambled up some pretty rough shit...was laughing to myself.

Stopped in at Penguin Mtn bike park on the way back and did the Montgomery Loop. It was great. Super fun trail.
Ran over a decent sized tiger snake going Mack Chicken! Adrenaline level maxed out... But strangely I smashed the very next climb section like a boss :D

SDA

Likes Dirt
Finally unpacked and washed my bike from a Derby trip, and found this scratch / gouge in my top tube.... should I be worried??

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
got a link for screws?
+1 for the nylon crank bros stamps.

I also bought some longer M3 brass cap head screws from ebay. Pedals have tonnes of grip now. Wearing five tens as well.

Before and after photos for reference.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk