What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Minlak

custom titis
removing the orange sticker from the rotor also improves perceived performance.
@Dozer might disagree on the need to remove them :)

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm with Ultra Lord - do bigger discs , makes a world of difference
Esp if you are a Robust Unit .

As i am ......

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I don't find the need for more than 180mm rear disc on the back of a hardtail. If you're using the front brake properly you won't want too much braking power out back. 203mm front rotor would be well worth it though. Make sure both new rotors are compatible with sintered pads, and throw out those resin stockies (or pass them on to a junior rider that won't be able to overheat them). Also, short hard brake applications are better for the brakes than long light drags on the brakes as the heat doesn't build up as much.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I don't find the need for more than 180mm rear disc on the back of a hardtail. If you're using the front brake properly you won't want too much braking power out back. 203mm front rotor would be well worth it though. Make sure both new rotors are compatible with sintered pads, and throw out those resin stockies (or pass them on to a junior rider that won't be able to overheat them). Also, short hard brake applications are better for the brakes than long light drags on the brakes as the heat doesn't build up as much.
I was dragging so I could get rid of my howling monkey sounds! Seems to have worked.

Good shout on the pads too.

Shimano RT-66 rotors (203mm + 180mm)
Shimano 203mm adapter
Shimano sintered pads

Jpez

Down on the left!
Agree with this. I find if you go too big on the rear on a HT you’re actually likely to have worse braking as traction is less on a HT and therefore easier to lock up the rear. I’m not small and I find 180 f/r. Different story on the FS.

Jpez

Down on the left!
That looks awesome!!! And not half as much green as I expected!

I’ll be at Falls Friday and Saturday. Bright Sunday.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
That looks awesome!!! And not half as much green as I expected!

I’ll be at Falls Friday and Saturday. Bright Sunday.
More green coming. It's just stuck in Melbourne somewhere for the last 3 weeks.

We'll have to catch up and have a few beers and do a few laps. Are you shuttling Friday as well?

Jpez

Down on the left!
More green coming. It's just stuck in Melbourne somewhere for the last 3 weeks.

We'll have to catch up and have a few beers and do a few laps. Are you shuttling Friday as well?
Of course there’s more green coming lol.

Yeah I’ll be shutting on the Friday on my lonesome as my homies are coming up later that night. Look forward to a couple of bevies.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Looks awesome @beeb (or, y'know... @wkkie)

Will also be up in the high country on the weekend. Falls (pedalling, not shuttling) on Saturday, maybe a bit of Beauty on Sat afternoon/evening, Bright on Sunday. Going to get in a Porepunkah roll on Friday afternoon if anyone is around.

Last edited: