What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ausdb

Being who he is
This wasn't today, it was after work a day ago. I went to a meeting in a park and now need to help come up with a design for a bike track for kids but have NFI what to do!

Longer version
There's not a lot of places for kids to ride around where I live. Some other people in the neighbourhood are of the same opinion and we started looking around for a place where we could make something for kids to ride based on what the community had done in a neighbouring council. We scouted out a place in a local park that we think may be suitable.
We've done some campaigning on the local bookface community page and one of the local councillors has shown an interest. We managed to arrange a site meeting with some councillors, a representative from the parks and recreation dept and the director of infrastructure from the council. Amazingly enough they didn't shit can the idea outright. They said there's no budget for them to build anything as they're currently building a pump, skills and jump track in another suburb and if they did it would probably take another 4-5 years to realise like their current project.
However if our plan is for more of a community based "Pop up Play" venture they may be able to help out with the supply of building materials in the way of crushed limestone or road base and as long as we are prepared to do the building there's a good chance it could fly as long as it gets past some form of community consultation process. The main thing they have asked us to give them is a plan /design of what we are thinking of wanting to build.
The place is a long wedge shaped space at the edge of a sports oval that is banked up and has some natural slope on it interspersed with trees. The most important thing is it is away from houses. The target market is kids 3-13 so can't be anything hardcore.
Has anyone had any experience with something like this before that can offer any suggestions? From one end of the space it looks like this. The yellow sand is for the local baseball club and may need to get relocated or may be become foundations for something.
DSC_6916-picsay.jpg

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ exciting times @ausdb...get some pea gravel!!!

I'd make a long winding snake with rollers to pump over and some berms that loops the park from one end to another. Those "concrete" pipes the council will have lots of for drains make easy fill and also allow for additional play options as tunnels or houses for wildlife. Wanted to make something like that here but the suitable area is going to be a carpark in 50 years so not worth it...good to have seen some forward planning I guess.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Perhaps its worth finding out if some of the trail building companies can do a design? Obviously not cost effective to engage them to actually build it, but whether a smaller fundraising effort can at least get a design to build to. Would probably go a long way to reassure the authorities as well.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Perhaps its worth finding out if some of the trail building companies can do a design? Obviously not cost effective to engage them to actually build it, but whether a smaller fundraising effort can at least get a design to build to. Would probably go a long way to reassure the authorities as well.
That's a really good shout - maybe World Trails would be interested if you gave them some background?

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Got out on the mountain bike today for the first time in ~10 weeks, and only done 2 road rides since new baby. I’ve been eating pretty much anything I can and drinking a fair bit. Today we went to the Goat Farm bike park.
Least enjoyable ride I’ve done in some time. Spent more time walking my bike, and there was a lot of up for not much down, and what down there was was well above my skill level.
Glad I went out, but will stick to Kalamunda for a while I think

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Also, went past the LBS on the way home and bought some enduro knee sleeves and some new gloves, which the wife will gift me for my birthday. After she pays me back hopefully...

ausdb

Being who he is
Today we went to the Goat Farm bike park.
Least enjoyable ride I’ve done in some time. Spent more time walking my bike, and there was a lot of up for not much down, and what down there was was well above my skill level.
Glad I went out, but will stick to Kalamunda for a while I think
I've been following the goat farm book face page, did you ride any of the new green up trails?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Also, went past the LBS on the way home and bought some enduro knee sleeves and some new gloves, which the wife will gift me for my birthday. After she pays me back hopefully...
I went for a reccy ride at Nail Can in prep for next week's Vic enduroflowdowncountrybrofest.

Haven't been there before, got totally lost, but thanks to a nice young, hipstery dude on a HT Torrent who was also trying to get the lay of the land, but unlike uncle knucknuck, had his phone and trail forks.

Hit a trail called Pointy Rock, seems to be the only track with an accurate descriptive name, on the hill. Pinballed off thousands of the most jagged, numerous granite rocks, I have seen in one place and I work in geotechnics, then hit a pinch climb that looked like cut face of a quarry, bounced off that into a tree, and down a rocky embankment.

Pulled a @Rorschach and got some Launch knee socks.

TLDR: Had fun!

Been so long, but it's like falling off a bike...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Took the norco Over to Waverley, cleared the main double first try, sent the rock drop and shredded sandman 5 times.View attachment 375540
That looks like one of @pink poodle's old rentals.

Careful your bike doesn't get nicked.

Edit: that rig is more likely to get done for statutory rape, than stolen. How does your mum feel about you riding such an old girl that's not a blood relative?

What's the age of consent in Tas anyways, 7?

Been so long, but it's like falling off a bike...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The place is a long wedge shaped space at the edge of a sports oval that is banked up and has some natural slope on it interspersed with trees. The most important thing is it is away from houses. The target market is kids 3-13 so can't be anything hardcore.
Has anyone had any experience with something like this before that can offer any suggestions? From one end of the space it looks like this. The yellow sand is for the local baseball club and may need to get relocated or may be become foundations for something.
You may have some luck but full time trail builders charge for Trail Audits, Trail Designs and obviously the building of them. Its their full time job... though you may get some generic plans given to you.

Probably start looking online and get something drawn up yourself, even if you did get someone to do it, it could take forever.

I would be thinking a progressive skills park, a few low log rolls, rollers, berms and a progressive drop feature, 3-4 small drops that start with a kerb height drop and progress 2 kerb - 4 kerb - 6 kerb for the bigger kids.