What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

herbman

Likes Dirt
I headed up to Hollybank for a blast down The Juggernaut (+ the long slow grind to the top :rolleyes:)
Haven't been there for ages.

The trail was in really bad shape (worst I've seen it).
Completely covered in bark & leaf litter, rocks (not little ones) loose across the trail, small logs & branches everywhere, heaps of trees & ferns growing across the trail. I was really surprised.
I don't understand how a lot of money & energy is spent to build a fantastic mtn bike park....and then it just gets neglected?
(I'd be keen to help)

Anyway, on a far more positive note, the Kona was farken' awesome! It was sooper slippery on the leaf litter and lots of erosion, but the big KP just ate it all up. Such a confidence inspiring bike. I kept my head low & my weight forward & focussed on what the front tyre was doing.....I was pushing reasonably hard. The front tyre slid around a bit under brakes & some direction changes, but it was never really sketchy and to my surprise I didn't bin it. Just gotta trust the bike, trust the Minion and don't change lines unless you really have to.
Derby is the reason it gets neglected. Hollybank in its current state is a bit intimidating for a lot of riders. Where as derby is suits a larger rider base.
The local club has done a few days out there tidying it up in the last year but they can only do so much and other spots closer to town get greater rider numbers needing work they have other areas to look after as well.

I still ride it a bit. I enjoy its current state, you have to on you game and thinking about what you are doing.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yeah I suspected Derby might have a lot to do with it.
(and less directly, Maydena)
In the pre-Derby days Juggs was the main event round here.

Turns out HBank is administered by "Sustainable Tasmania"
...which I believe is a section of Forestry Tas(?).
Another local told me the problem is that it's the wrong funding / admin model for ongoing upkeep?

Juggernaut still put a smile on my dial regardless... but, yeah, definitely have to be in your game
(and bring more fitness than I did)

I'd be happy to team up for shuttles sometime if your keen...?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

rstim

Likes Dirt

Another local told me the problem is that it's the wrong funding / admin model for ongoing upkeep?

Juggernaut still put a smile on my dial regardless... but, yeah, definitely have to be in your game

It's scheduled for some major love in the near future was already supposed to have started but was postponed for some reason. This was all according to the Launceston MTB club who got money to complete the works. So should be back to the glory days sometime soon will be closed while the work is completed though. Keep an eye on the Launceston mountain bike club page on Facebook for more updates.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mooboyj

Likes Dirt

It's interesting you mention its state of neglect. I've just moved back to Hobart from Perth, and was wondering if the state was starting to hit a critical mass of tracks it could sustain...

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wife's new bike rocked up today. Quickly put it together to get it rolling for her so she can take it for a spin tomorrow after she's dropped the youngest off to kinder.

I'll probably do a PYR thread on it just to help track it's changes as we do things to it.

As it sits, with XT trail pedals and tubes still in the tyres, it's 11.7kg! I reckon if I put all the stuff from my bike on it it'd be under 10 no worries. But that ain't happening, she hates my orange forks

Got a message this morning saying the bike felt fast. Checked her Strava...

Yeah she's doing alright

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Wife's new bike rocked up today. Quickly put it together to get it rolling for her so she can take it for a spin tomorrow after she's dropped the youngest off to kinder.

I'll probably do a PYR thread on it just to help track it's changes as we do things to it.

As it sits, with XT trail pedals and tubes still in the tyres, it's 11.7kg! I reckon if I put all the stuff from my bike on it it'd be under 10 no worries. But that ain't happening, she hates my orange forks

Man that looks fast... and by the QOMs, it is fast, surprised it doesn't have a 32mm fork on it.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah you can get models with a 100mm 32 stepcast fork and a 110mm 34 stepcast. The model I wanted to order had a 32 but the wait times were months and months away but this one popped up and we snagged it.

I mentioned the idea of swapping forks with my Turner but she really doesn't like orange lol. After today's ride I'm probably going to remove the "knock block" so I can lower the stem down further as the stack for a small is a touch tall for her. Gotta measure it up for a dropper post too.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What was the original thickness ?
Hope rotors... IRRC about 1.75mm, it looked like it was going to disintegrate with any brake pressure, I was seriously worried... love, love, loved the days descending but was happy the rotor lasted.

Maydena is a different place, reckon I will hire a Canyon Sender DH bike next time.... which will be Dec 2019 / Jan 2020.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
It was stripped to bare frame when a trail ride tomorrow at Gunjin was organised at the last minute. Can't believe I got the whole thing built up, new drivetrain installed and adjusted, new brakes trimmed and bled etc in a few hours after work.

Then I go and tear out a pedal from the new (2nd hand) cranks doing a few late night shake down runs down the street.

Oh well, downhill runs on the commuter should be fun...