What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congrats on finishing your first Enduro. 4 days straight is bloody mental!
Yeah that did occur to me when I was booking my spot...but a little voice said go on, it might not land on your days off next time. I reckon my riding peaked on Friday, and I just got carried away having too much fun.

Did you catch any glimpses of Sam Hill riding?
No - but he won the Mens Elite category, I didn't even see him once in the weekend.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everyone's doing it wrong compared to Sam. I've spoken to elite riders that ride with him locally and they reckon he often rides lines they didn't even think were there and wouldn't dream of riding.
I saw a (GMBN ?) video with Sam showing how he will often take an inside line where most people will keep their speed up going wide. Found a couple of spots where it worked well for me. However the trails took some real wear and tear from the practice day on Saturday. Looked like motorbikes had been tearing it up, really changed some of the corners.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(..) I didn't mind pulling over for the first hard pedaling guy, as he was flying, but it sorted sucked after I realized the second one was an ebike. Changed the vibe, momentarily, till I thought better of it, and let it go.
I get that. Watched someone power straight up a 45deg slope almost leisurely yesterday, which kind of blew my mind.. until I realised it was an ebike. Have absolutely nothing against them, but it was certainly disconcerting. Horses for courses.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The squeaking became unbearable so decided to sort them out yesterday. Lube chain, adjust gears, cleaned seat post clamp, cleaned dropper clamp. Nearly perfect, just one squeak left. Got wife to help pinpoint where it was coming from. Turns out 2 bearings in the shock linkage were seized and a couple more felt really bad. Repacked them for now but it felt very different riding it out today and was using all travel a lot easier.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Looks like I'm doing it wrong ! I rarely put a foot down unless the front wheel lets go
I've been doing it more and more on fast stuff. I pulled about 18 50 seconds on old mate down the front of Stromlo on Saturday and I reckon 10 30 of those were railing berms with my foot out. Mate reckoned I was pulling 5m on him on each berm. I do it even more if I'm riding flat pedals, absolutely no excuse not to in that case :)

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've been doing it more and more on fast stuff. I pulled about 18 50 seconds on old mate down the front of Stromlo on Saturday and I reckon 10 30 of those were railing berms with my foot out. Mate reckoned I was pulling 5m on him on each berm. I do it even more if I'm riding flat pedals, absolutely no excuse not to in that case :)
Huh. You must show me, I never put a foot down unless I have to... Next weekend I will pry my sorry arse out the door for a ride if you're around?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Rode the roadie to work. The short way of only 6kms and felt like id put in effort. 4 years ago I was riding my heavy hardtail Mongoose the 20km long way... Need to regain fitness :(

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Foot out, flat out!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Huh. You must show me, I never put a foot down unless I have to... Next weekend I will pry my sorry arse out the door for a ride if you're around?
Likely Sunday 9:30 again but got a shit tonne on this weekend so not entirely sure. I'm even considering pissing off early from work one day to get an arvo in.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hacked up XTR front shifter and connected to KS dropper post as per this guide, after converting to 1x10 recently with new cassette, chainring and XT Shadow+ derailleur - what a difference over 2013 tech!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Just got 2014 Guide RS levers (which I actually purchased overseas) replaced under warranty.... SRAM do have their good points.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a good crack at getting rid of the horrible brake noise from the front of the XC bike.
Shed load of meth then rough sanded for ages. Then bed in getting really hot down a steep hill multiple times.
So far so good. Just hoping after cooling down over night it doesn't come back!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Stumpy lives !!!

Installed a DT Swiss SSD 210 L shock on a Bike Yoke (thanks MTBDirect)(and Scott) and the old girl is a going concern again.

Set sag to a conservative 25% and then messed around with the 30 clicks of rebound and 20 of them got it in the ball park. The rebound certainly works, from non existent to slower than a snail on beer.

Did a 45 minute urban on it, and first of all, it feels great to be back on the stumpy. So good to tool around on. The closest to dirt was some nature strip mtb and it felt nice. There is a big climb and it seemed to be ok, not bobbing too much, and descending and effing around was fun.

Time will tell, but I'm pretty confident it is going to be ok.

View attachment 348862
Stripped, cleaned and relubed the shock/bike yoke bushings/pivots. Second time I’ve done it since installing it all last November, and no signs of wear, which good.

The bike yoke is pretty cool really. It kept dads axe in service, and I reckon the bike handles better with this shock. I do think it is not quite as good as the brain for climbing, but I’m crap anyway, so not too much of a problem.