What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
First time at Thredbo in 15 years. I forgot just how steep it is! It rained enough to make a lot of wet stuff early in the day, I haven't ridden wet and slippery for many years so there were plenty of arse clenching moments. The All Mountain bottom half is closed, Ricochet was a mud fest, as was any part in the forest pretty much until lunchtime. Flow was relentless berms, harder work than I expected again for me due to the gradient and slippery stuff.

We decided to do the Cannonball, last time was in about '05 on a rental DH. I'm not sure if I was just less worried about drops or if every steep rocky bit now has a foot drop from erosion at the end that wasn't there before, bit of both I suspect and the Bronson is still not as DH as a DH bike from 15 years back. For the first time ever I wanted the 40mm of dropper that pokes out to be gone! Got into a rocky section after the flat bit with the big table top where it goes beside the Flow, with my foot clipped out from a dab around the previous corner, couldn't get it in before I found a line and had to find an escape over the bars. Did a perfect high step off and landed about 5 feet below on my right foot and bruised the arch. Got ice on it right away and called it a day, things were getting drier but I wasn't going up with a sore foot. Soaked it in the river for 15 mins and it came pretty good overnight with a couple of Beerofen painkillers. I'm retired from Canonnball. I loved the All Mountain though, top section is like a Cannonball light with some challenging but not as hectic stuff. Bummed that the bottom was closed as my mates said that was their fave bit of Thredbo trail.

Next morning was TVT, foot was good enough in the SPuD shoe so I did just the Lake Crackenback leg, which would mean two people not doing the second half and easy shuttling of two cars. That's a trail. It's awesome in every way. Apparently I missed the better downhill sections on the second half but I was cooked and wouldn't have made it. Finished with a dip in Lake Jindabyne.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We were behind it all the way down and didn't look like it was going to hit, maybe it's slightly out on the swing arm, it sags pretty hard as soon as it slides off the hitch. Mate took other pics, will find one.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
And how do you mount an auxiliary number plate?
Mate was told hang it off a bike seat, or mount it somehow that far out by the manufacturer, which was confirmed when they got pulled over on the way home and it was mounted on the side of the rack where one bike space was left. Cameras can't always see it there, so other mate who welds is making something up. Cop was chill and let it go with a warning.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Changed the front tyre from an Aggressor to a Butcher. Night and day. The front if so good now. I didn't put the Aggressor on to start. Love them on the back but not on the front...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Awesome rear, the aggressor. Would suck on front :oops:
Definitely did. Front kept washing out. I actually now have to learn to trust the grip. I've kept it for my rear for when my SE3 wears outs.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've found Aggressors to be skatey on the rear also thanks to the compound, so yeah would absolutely suck on the front! Hate running 2C garbage, even on the rear.
I find it Aggressors a little skatey on the rear, but I like that they're progressive with it. It's not just all of the grip, then suddenly none of the grip. They break away nice and predictably. I don't ride for outright speed though, so if you're racing YMMV. They also last bloody ages.

BT180

Max Pfaff
They also last bloody ages.
That's the dual compound for ya. Might just be my local conditions (rocks, rocks, rock slabs and more rocks), but I found it would spin out on pinch climbs easily and had zero braking traction down the loose, steep stuff, especially on rock slabs.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That's the dual compound for ya. Might just be my local conditions (rocks, rocks, rock slabs and more rocks), but I found it would spin out on pinch climbs easily and had zero braking traction down the loose, steep stuff, especially on rock slabs.
Granite sand and well ridden granite rock seems to be their happy place (dusty rocks are a different story though!). They are pretty slippery (but quite fun if you're not chasing outright speed) on hard clay in my limited experience. I'm totally biased though, they're my favourite rear tyre by a mile. :)