What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Early ride at Mill Ck. Couple of laps, wasn’t feeling it initially, but found a groove and pushed a bit in the middle.

Since I bled my brakes recently, my rear wasn’t grippy and would squeal a bit. Hadn’t bothered to clean anything though, and figured it’d be a good reminder to stay off the coward levers.

Well! Halfway down a trail my back brake pulls to the bars and I’m thinking “damn, popped a seal or something - there’s going to be fluid coming out somewhere.”. Ride a bit further till I get off the rocky steep bit.

So I pull over to find…

Oh hai there! Seems piston on disc doesn’t stop so well.

Anyone know any aftermarket pins that fit the cura calipers? All I found this morning was a bolt kit for $25.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Early ride at Mill Ck. Couple of laps, wasn’t feeling it initially, but found a groove and pushed a bit in the middle.

Since I bled my brakes recently, my rear wasn’t grippy and would squeal a bit. Hadn’t bothered to clean anything though, and figured it’d be a good reminder to stay off the coward levers.

Well! Halfway down a trail my back brake pulls to the bars and I’m thinking “damn, popped a seal or something - there’s going to be fluid coming out somewhere.”. Ride a bit further till I get off the rocky steep bit.

So I pull over to find…

Oh hai there! Seems piston on disc doesn’t stop so well.

Anyone know any aftermarket pins that fit the cura calipers? All I found this morning was a bolt kit for $25.
always put blue loctite on the thread, those E clips fall off on their own.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
always put blue loctite on the thread, those E clips fall off on their own.
Yeah. Must have forgotten. The e clip things are crap. One bump and the ping halfway across the garage - off to the land of 10mm sockets - never to be seen again.

Edit: looks like it’s an M5 threaded pin, so same as Hope I think. About 25.5mm long.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Hey Duck, I bet Wombat these days would be pretty exciting on an XC bike…
Yeah, it'a lot hairier than it used to be!
You are a braver man than me Gunga Din.

I rode it a few months ago on my Cotic BFe... 26" wheels, 65.5 HA, 150mm forks, hardtail... and after nearly binning it, I realized, the only way to get it done was with as much speed as possible.

My Process eats it up though...

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I guess riding it for 13 or so years (shit, that long!?) I've sort of tuned into its changes, but coming back after the long periods of lockdowns & not riding for large parts of two years I'd forgotten how much it's changed. The 120mm fork on the "new" bike gives a bit more tolerance, but it's still sketchy in parts.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Today, we did some trail maintenance.

On one of our locals, there is a track that had fallen into disrepair with multiple trees down and had since pretty much been overgrown.

Armed with an 18v DeWalt and some secateurs, we reclaimed 320 metres of it, before fading light sent us home, but not before test riding it.

We will be back.

I love that my wife is into it as much as I am. Possibly more, ha ha.

She is the Trail Whisperer after all.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
No, it was on one of the roadside trails, which we rode the opposite way to what we normally do, and I messed up my line over a log feature. There's a little stump just back from the log; front wheel hit it, bike stopped, I didn't.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
No, it was on one of the roadside trails, which we rode the opposite way to what we normally do, and I messed up my line over a log feature. There's a little stump just back from the log; front wheel hit it, bike stopped, I didn't.
That's the thing. It can happen anywhere, anytime.

Full ragdoll down high speed, rocky jank? Ride away with nary a scratch.

Put your foot down wrong on a smooth gravel rail trail? Broken bones, torn ligaments, full knee reconstruction.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I had plans to head off somewhere to celebrate Chuck's birthday but we have been out 'n about over the past two days.

I just couldn't be arsed fiddling with the rack and driving to a trail to meet the hordes that I have been trying to avoid.

Oh well, my apathetic butt will have to do better next time.

20230612_114337.jpg