What does your day look like?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just saw a pub near here is doing a 1.2kg tomahawk steak. What a great cut of meat they are! But 1.2kg is a bit excessive.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
What a great cut of meat they are! But 1.2kg is a bit excessive.
Sure is, I can't say I have much steak but had a cracker 300gm eye fillet in Melbourne tonight which is more than enough.

1.2kg of beef would be like giving birth to an alien next morning :alien:

safreek

Sure is, I can't say I have much steak but had a cracker 300gm eye fillet in Melbourne tonight which is more than enough.

1.2kg of beef would be like giving birth to an alien next morning :alien:
And not a friendly alien like Alf either, would prob look like et

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is tomahawk another way of saying 'rib-eye on the bone'?
Rib eye is always on the bone. I've seen tomahawk a few different ways so not sure of accuracy, it could be like going to different fish markets. The common theme is it has both the eye fillet and rib meet in tact (meat in front and behind the bone) and the rib itself is longer than on a rob eye. I have seen them in butchers with the bone long enough to use as a sabre! Slow cooked it is tender and delicious.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
BEst steak I've ever had was a 30 day dry aged rib-eye. My local speciality butcher is currently ageing some more, can't wait.

Looking at the pics I can see the difference between the two although much of the rib-eye that I get has the lower section of rib meat intact but not on the inside of the bone. Might try and source a full toma for my next charring of the oxen.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's very hard to get good steaks in Australia as most of the better meat gets exported overseas for more coin. I've done a few shut downs in slaughter houses and seen how it gets packed for export.

The best steak I've ever had was in a cattle country Pub in Theodore, NQ, I've never had anything like it since.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
BEst steak I've ever had was a 30 day dry aged rib-eye. My local speciality butcher is currently ageing some more, can't wait.

Looking at the pics I can see the difference between the two although much of the rib-eye that I get has the lower section of rib meat intact but not on the inside of the bone. Might try and source a full toma for my next charring of the oxen.
Slow and low...smokey and spicey...that's how I like it.

When you get to Argentina, then you will find good steak.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It's very hard to get good steaks in Australia as most of the better meat gets exported overseas for more coin.
S

When you get to Argentina, then you will find good steak.
Sorry but I call BS on this.

I know I'm going to come off like a wanker here, but screw it. Due to work and personal travel I've eaten $200+ steak in Singapore (Kobe and Wagyu on the same plate), I've eaten in top Brazilian churrascaria's, I've been to god knows how many high-end steak houses and backyard BBQ joints in Texas and heaps of other steakhouses in Asia, South America, the US and Belgium. Good beef here is as good as good beef in any of those places. Some people might prefer picanha and the way it's cooked, others may prefer a slow-cook brisket southern style in the US. Sure, preference plays into it and I'm no meat expert but what we get here (Canberra Woolworths is particularly surprising for some of the beef it gets in its isles, I was blown away when I got here) is just as good as all the other hotspots around the world.

I'm sure we get a mountain of crap but there's still a lot of top-quality stuff around.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The world of cooked cow is very complicated. Argentineans also get my vote for figuring out the art of BBQ.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner

I know I'm going to come off like a wanker here, but screw it. Due to work and personal travel I've eaten $200+ steak in Singapore (Kobe and Wagyu on the same plate), I've eaten in top Brazilian churrascaria's, I've been to god knows how many high-end steak houses and backyard BBQ joints in Texas and heaps of other steakhouses in Asia, South America, the US and Belgium. Good beef here is as good as good beef in any of those places. Some people might prefer picanha and the way it's cooked, others may prefer a slow-cook brisket southern style in the US. Sure, preference plays into it and I'm no meat expert but what we get here (Canberra Woolworths is particularly surprising for some of the beef it gets in its isles, I was blown away when I got here) is just as good as all the other hotspots around the world.

I'm sure we get a mountain of crap but there's still a lot of top-quality stuff around.
Well sorry to have to tell you this, because the management of the slaughter house actually showed me the creates with "do not export to the USA" and to top it all off they actually told me that only some of the highend restaurants here are willing to pay the higher price for their prime product. Maybe it's way it gets cooked and how fresh it is by the time you eat it.

I will not even touch the meat from Woolworths it taste like pure shit, I don't know if it's a local thing or not. I've actually grown up around people with their own cattle farms so I know what's good and what's not.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Well sorry to have to tell you this, because the management of the slaughter house actually showed me the creates with "do not export to the USA" and to top it off all they actually told me that only some of the highend restaurants here are willing to pay the higher price for their prime product. Maybe it's way it gets cooked and how fresh it is by the time you eat it.

I will not even touch the meat from Woolworths it taste like pure shit, I don't know if it's a local thing or not. I've actually grown up around people with their own cattle farms so I know what's good and what's not. But I suppose your an academic that's has more life experience than anyone here from reading books.
Hahahaha lol!! I knew I was going to come off like a bit of a tosser in that post but I certainly didn't expect that it would put anyone's nose out of joint!! Plus, I'm not an academic, sorry to disappoint!! Funny shit.

Anyway, I truly do think it's a local thing as you're not the only person who has been into an abattoir and has been around cattle (seriously, you can't assume all of Australia works the same way as one or a couple of slaughter houses). The difference between the average offer in the supermarkets from capital city to capital city is pretty huge, at least from Newcastle south. And as I said (in my life working for an American consulting firm based in Asia, which was after being a soldier for a number of years, you know, with no life experience and all!), I've eaten in lots of the high-end joints that get the Australian, American and Japanese beef and I really don't rate it that much higher than what I can get here. Sure, I might have to pay decently for it at speciality butchers and whatnot but to say that there is only shit available in this country is wrong in my opinion.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

But have you eaten Kobe wrapped in wagyu? It's like a filet Mignon...

I'll always wish I'd had the time to skip across the Rio Del La Plata and eaten in Uruguay. They have a different style of parrilla to Argentina, seems to be more flames. When I get back to South America I may have to pursue. That slow smoked Texas style is something I love.

I'm not saying we have bad beef, I quite enjoy eating it here. For me tri-tip a d flank, along with ribs are some of my favourite foods. But I have enjoyed beef in other places more. Even more so for pork. I barely ate pork prior to going to south America, here I found it bland and flavourless or a bit rank. A place i stayed in Chily served it almost every meal and I came to find it had a delicious flavour. Maybe it is just the joy of being away from home that adds to the flavour?

The world of cooked cow is very complicated. Argentineans also get my vote for figuring out the art of BBQ.

I found a place near here where they seemed to be doing the back Street style parrilla - coals, grill, meat hanging in chimney...food was good and I asked the owner about it and he said he had not been to south America. I was dubious about his honesty, but there was no chimichuri.

Hahahaha lol!! I knew I was going to come off like a bit of a tosser in that post but I certainly didn't expect that it would put anyone's nose out of joint!! Plus, I'm not an academic, sorry to disappoint!! Funny shit.

Anyway, I truly do think it's a local thing as you're not the only person who has been into an abattoir and has been around cattle (seriously, you can't assume all of Australia works the same way as one or a couple of slaughter houses). The difference between the average offer in the supermarkets from capital city to capital city is pretty huge, at least from Newcastle south. And as I said (in my life working for an American consulting firm based in Asia, which was after being a soldier for a number of years, you know, with no life experience and all!), I've eaten in lots of the high-end joints that get the Australian, American and Japanese beef and I really don't rate it that much higher than what I can get here. Sure, I might have to pay decently for it at speciality butchers and whatnot but to say that there is only shit available in this country is wrong in my opinion.
Newcastle is such a magical place for the culinary delights...:llama: (seems a fitting beast for conversation). Note: need sarcastic font so the llama can take a rest.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
But have you eaten Kobe wrapped in wagyu? It's like a filet Mignon...

I'll always wish I'd had the time to skip across the Rio Del La Plata and eaten in Uruguay. They have a different style of parrilla to Argentina, seems to be more flames. When I get back to South America I may have to pursue. That slow smoked Texas style is something I love.

I'm not saying we have bad beef, I quite enjoy eating it here. For me tri-tip a d flank, along with ribs are some of my favourite foods. But I have enjoyed beef in other places more. Even more so for pork. I barely ate pork prior to going to south America, here I found it bland and flavourless or a bit rank. A place i stayed in Chily served it almost every meal and I came to find it had a delicious flavour. Maybe it is just the joy of being away from home that adds to the flavour?

I've had a Kogyu; a kobe cow shoved up the arse of a wagyu ox.

I am not a fan at all of the Texas style beef. Too much sickly sweet sauce on it. Salt and a little pepper is all beef needs, IMO.

Pork in Australia often doesn't get knackered and can get that taint through it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I found a place near here where they seemed to be doing the back Street style parrilla - coals, grill, meat hanging in chimney...food was good and I asked the owner about it and he said he had not been to south America. I was dubious about his honesty, but there was no chimichuri..
I bet he has been there. I have a long time Argentinean friend who has the home pariila with an electric winch to raise/lower the tray and gas burners for the heat beads prep. Works damn well.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Lamb in China can often be pretty bad as they won't slaughter them young (have to reproduce first) and that means it can often taste like an old woollen sock.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've had a Kogyu; a kobe cow shoved up the arse of a wagyu ox.

I am not a fan at all of the Texas style beef. Too much sickly sweet sauce on it. Salt and a little pepper is all beef needs, IMO.

Pork in Australia often doesn't get knackered and can get that taint through it.
Now we are talking! That kogyu would take a long time to cook.

I don't go in for sauce, I love smoke and dry/fresh spices. I'm a sucker for soft juicey smoked meats.

Lamb in China can often be pretty bad as they won't slaughter them young (have to reproduce first) and that means it can often taste like an old woollen sock.
Do they offer a special visa for kiwis to come over and do that work?

Flow-Rider

Burner

I never said it was impossible to get good meat in Aus. In the past I've eaten a lot of meat in pubs and restaurants, a lot of it didn't taste too good compare to what was given to me fresh from the farmers. I've had the opportunity to work and live in many small country towns that most people haven't even heard of.

I've also travelled quite extensively around the end top of Aus with work from Brisbane to Cairns to Port Hedland and also in Europe. I've eaten other meats like kangaroo, emu and snake. You can make just about anything taste good with the right seasoning and spices, try eat the steak without anything on it when it's cooked right and it should have tasted just as good. Different countries have different ways of culling and storing their meat, I've got a friend from Denmark that culls the animal and hangs it in a barn house for a few weeks then cuts it into pieces and then stores it. Obviously the temperatures are a bit cooler there so the bacteria isn't as bad but they actually favourite it going slightly green on the outside.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I never said it was impossible to get good meat in Aus. In the past I've eaten a lot of meat in pubs and restaurants, a lot of it didn't taste too good compare to what was given to me fresh from the farmers. I've had the opportunity to work and live in many small country towns that most people haven't even heard of.

I've also travelled quite extensively around the end top of Aus with work from Brisbane to Cairns to Port Hedland and also in Europe. I've eaten other meats like kangaroo, emu and snake. You can make just about anything taste good with the right seasoning and spices, try eat the steak without anything on it when it's cooked right and it should have tasted just as good. Different countries have different ways of culling and storing their meat, I've got a friend from Denmark that culls the animal and hangs it in a barn house for a few weeks then cuts it into pieces and then stores it. Obviously the temperatures are a bit cooler there so the bacteria isn't as bad but they actually favourite it going slightly green on the outside.
Yeah, I reckon you'd be right regards the freshness. Emu is fantastic, although I've only ever had it in homemade pie form.

There used to be a specialty butcher in Lane Cove that would purchase top cuts and dry age them. Even back in the early 2000s rib eye was at $36 a kilo. Nothing has topped that for me yet. Some of the picanha my friend cooked for me in Brasilia was ridiculous as well. He owned a cattle farm and of all things, also a Eucalypt plantation. That was likely the freshest beef I've been lucky to enjoy. He encrusted it with rock salt and then flamed it. When I cook on the BBQ at home I usually drip heaps of cooking oil over the gas to make it flame up and caramlise the steak whilst the inner is still med. rare.

Hungry.