What T.V Series to watch whilst waiting for Walking Dead to resume?

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
Fresh off the boat. Eddie Huang. Vice TV, Cooking/travel show. Just as good as Mr Bourdain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beej1

Oooh, just remembered a brilliant one ... Generation Kill. Set in the Iraq war. Funny, ironic, sad, scary. Great acting, even better writing. Good action scenes.
Check it out.
Same guys who did The Wire and Treme if I'm not mistaken.

True Detective. Woody Harrelson always delivers but Matthew Mcconaughey puts on a performance I really didn't think he was capable of...
I've heard good things about this show. Though apparently it'll be somewhat of an ensemble cast show, with completely different characters each season. I read Colin Farrell is one of the leads next season.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Hew

Likes Dirt
Not particularly sci-fi, but no-one has mentioned it; Sopranos.

Seriously bloody good. Up there with The Wire in terms of writing.

Beej1

I know ... Walking Dead is back. But half way to the mid-season hiatus, I just have to mention now I'm 3.5 seasons into "Justified" - it's a fkn awesome show. Really ... really watchable, and as a bonus if you watch it during Walking Dead downtime, you don't suffer southern american english accent withdrawal symptoms.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I know ... Walking Dead is back. But half way to the mid-season hiatus, I just have to mention now I'm 3.5 seasons into "Justified" - it's a fkn awesome show. Really ... really watchable, and as a bonus if you watch it during Walking Dead downtime, you don't suffer southern american english accent withdrawal symptoms.
Best TV series bar nun!

Beej1

Has anyone watched any of the British TV show "The Thick Of It"?? I recently found this condensed sequence of Peter Capaldi (Doctor 12) brilliance from this show, and wondered if it was worth watching, or if it was like "The Blacklist", which has James Spader brilliance for like, 10min per episode then a whole lot of the rest of the useless cast being thoroughly incompetent characters played by people with extremely sub-par acting skills (especially the lead female).

It's a shame .... if they could just make the show Reddington being his awesome devious self, with the occasional cut to whiny emo FBI chick, that'd be OK.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Ok I haven't read through the thread but here is what is on my screen: The Strain, House of Cards (season 2). I've heard about some new show called The Last Ship - don't know if any good and Z Nation - more zombie stuff, don't know if any good. Just started watching S4 of Falling Skies and so far has picked up a bit from the low levels it was previous seasons.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Good time to jump in and say thanks for all the recommendations guys. Ended up watching -

Fargo (absolutely awesome)
Generation Kill (Brilliant)
Strain (crap, watched a couple and quit)
Justified, which got me through a couple of hundred kays on the trainer last month.

Currently watching (except for WD mondays) Orange is the new black. Sort of a chick show but is actually quiet interesting and the regular topless lesbian scene's keep things interesting.

Also discovered the Matthew Scudder books by Lawrence Block, started with "a walk amongst the tombstones" but as it's non-linear and has some backstories each book wasn't hard to get into. Just got to find a way to attach my kindle to the trainer?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try the first season of the Brittish show 'Utopia'. Second season was a bit meh, dont waste your time on that..

Beej1

Try the first season of the British show 'Utopia'. Second season was a bit meh, dont waste your time on that..
...I'd read about this. I'm assuming it's neatly wrapped up in the first season then? Or good enough to stand on it's own that you can handle never seeing any more than 1 season (e.g. Firefly, Wonderfalls)? Since the show has been cancelled and all.

Knuckles said:
If you like scifi/apocalyptic melodrama Helix isn't bad.
Been meaning to check this out. Was a fan of Moore's BSG.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
...I'd read about this. I'm assuming it's neatly wrapped up in the first season then? Or good enough to stand on it's own that you can handle never seeing any more than 1 season (e.g. Firefly, Wonderfalls)? Since the show has been cancelled and all.
It's not wrapped up at the end of season one, but the second season was fine.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I've been looking for an excuse to revisit the Wire. Again.

HBO is not on Foxtel although Foxtel usually get the rights to most of their shows and air them on Showcase.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Im thinking about going and revisiting the whole series of Sopranos, and OZ...

Oh and Deadwood, such a pity this only went for 3 seasons....

Beej1

Wasn't sure if there was another TV thread on here somewhere, so it'll have to do here.

This is for you POSM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9afL2_vpo4

Does anyone know if HBO is on Foxtel?
An interesting article from the creator, David Simon, about the shift from 4:3 to 16:9. HBO thought "Yeah lets just chop top & bottom off every scene" but it didn't always result in a good outcome. Luckily he was allowed to intervene and the article shows some interesting before, post-HBO fix, post-David Simon fix examples.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

I'm in no hurry to watch it again - will wait for BluRay and purchase it to replace the SD copies I bought in Bali.