What was your first mountain bike

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'88 Avanti Ridge Rider was my first 'new' MTB. It had a Tange cr-mo frame/fork & Suntour XCE groupset. Well-wicked...

Before that I had a succession of Morrison Sidewinders that I trashed offroad... But they weren't real MTB's.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Well, if I don't count the several Kmart bikes through the early 90s and into the 00s and start at my first serious purchase that got me hooked it was the 2004 Haro X3....and it's still in the shed today as a loaner bike.

in late 04 Its had 160mm Marz SuperTs on the front, running a coil (6" travel) and Hopes brilliant 4pot brakes with 2.5 tyres.

After that and several other specs, John @ Gripsport gave her a new "tuff" powdercoat paint job and it's remaind in a trailbike spec.

One of the blessings of the bike is that it sits in size between a M/L so with a stem/seatpost offset it can comfortably fit a rider between 5'6"-6'3".

Currently it has as Fox RP23 (5" travel) with Fox Floats at 140mm travel up front with a Widget and 1x9 drivetrain.

Its still a very capable trailbike, as a mate rode it in a local 6hr and knocked off some very competitive lap times.

Been a great bike that got me hooked on mountain biking.....

Warwick

Likes Dirt
Is that one with one of the 1-1/4 head tubes?
If 1 1/4 is the headshok size head tube, no it's not. Bought just a regulation size carbon ebay fork and popped that in before painting. It's a great fast frame, but after 19 years I thought it deserved a retirement from dirt before it broke and hence the flat road conversion.

Mr King

Likes Dirt
Ahh the memories... Apollo Cheetah in lurid fluro. Had sick dual dyno lights on it and I sold it for $500 in the early 90's

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If 1 1/4 is the headshok size head tube, no it's not. Bought just a regulation size carbon ebay fork and popped that in before painting. It's a great fast frame, but after 19 years I thought it deserved a retirement from dirt before it broke and hence the flat road conversion.
na, a mate of mine had an old dale with 1 inch, turned out it had a bent downtube, cannondale replaced it with a new frame that had a 1 1/4 in head tube, he then broke that and had a hell of a time getting a replacement one with a 1 1/4 head tube as he wanted to keep his forks and stuff... jsut that that looked like a big size head tube and was from that era, but it could ahve been the forks making it look that way

rain man

Squid
1991 Repco K2 - "Tri-moly" frame (4130 chromo front triangle with 1080 high tensile steel rear triangle), full Deore LX 21 speed (with the last of the Biopace chain rings), cantilever brakes, rigid forks which were "upgraded" to Suntour SR 2 inch coil shocks which cracked vertically up the stanchions, so I went back to rigid forks and used it as a courier and commuter bike for years. The frame is still hanging on the wall with about 80000km on it, and a chewed out square taper BB rusted into it.

I have no regrets :02.47-tranquillity:

James.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
It was about 1997 and I purchased an orange Mongoose. It had front suspension (rock shox), front triple chain ring. This bike was the best. I paid about $700 (thanks to tax return). I rode this bike for the next 10 years and I absolutley rode it into the ground. I sold it at a garage sale for $60. The guy that brought it paid me $20 a fortnight and he took it after the last payment. Interest free lay buy!!!!

The next time i saw the bike it was leaning up against a fence collecting rust......

Jezza K

Likes Dirt
GT outpost 1995 ish - fully rigid steel clunker got stolen and replaced by ....
Shogun Prarie Breaker - I had this probably for about 4 years. I even upgraded the rigid forks to bright yellow RST 381's. Purple bike with pink dots and yellow shox. Too bad I don't still have it. It would be a trend setter!

niki125

Likes Dirt
first mtb was a 1989 Malvern Star Mongrel, was purple and had SIS gears. Ooh yeah. Jumped it and did all sorts of stupid stuff on it until the forks bent out.

First proper bike was a CraftWorks FRM125. Barely even rode that thing before I decided to sell it.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My first was an early nineties Apollo Kosciusko in light grey. I remember my Dad driving me down to Mona Vale to buy it second hand. It was full rigid with indexed thumb shifters and canti brakes.
Then I bought a 98 Specialized FSR Extreme with 8sp XT, RS coupe deluxe rear shock and RS Judy triple clamp forks. Upgraded that to a GT LTS3000 with disc brakes.

mrricho

Likes Bikes
My First

Was a Big W Special a Roadmaster (i think thats what it was called) 1987 i buckled the rims in about the first week all steel.... then save and bought a Apollo Kosciusko my first bike with alloy rims

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
It was a raliegh limited edition II...loved it but then it got nicked from outside a shop.

should have locked it up but i was only 13

nathanm

Eats Squid

I did actually have a full rigid bike before this, but count this as my first proper MTB as it had suspension and V-Brakes.

Can't believe I used to ride the tracks on Mt Wellington on this thing, not sure how I survived.