What's up with Parents these days?

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
You are. Unless you've been separated you're talking about a world you HAVE NO CONCEPT OF. Especially when it involves children.
Was more talking the bullying side of it, and not children scarred by divorce. My parents went through a shitty break up when my sister and I were young, so I can understand to a certain degree.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As much as I feel your kid don't start making judgment calls on the other kid yet people. Separation would be a huge thing to deal with at 10. I'm not condoning the kid throwing rocks but get the full story first. Luckily my separation was amicable and the prime focus was to make it as easy as possible for our daughter. Doesn't always go that way though...
My parents split when I was 6 years old. I didn't split any other kids heads open with rocks...

My wife has been working in child care, children's services and teaching for 20 years, there are always extenuating circumstances but the majority of the time children's behavior is a reflection of the parenting or lack of. I don't hold any ill will towards this child, I'll wait until I get the full story. My son has been the victim of older bullying but is also a competent karate student and can defend himself physically.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
+1 for boundaries, and clear limit setting.

My 4 year old never had a public tantrum or told me how things were going to be. From the word go he has always been told what's appropriate and what isn't. He clearly craves this type of guidance and is happier for it. Some of my friends give their kids a LOT of free run, and they have poorly behaved and miserable kids as a result. Step up to the plate adults and be proper parents! You want to be your child's friend? Then show them how to behave.
Afuckingmen! And I'm an atheist.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
there are always extenuating circumstances but the majority of the time children's behavior is a reflection of the parenting or lack of.
I don't hold any ill will towards this child, I'll wait until I get the full story. .
Mate, like I said I don't condone the kids behaviour. But as you said, get the full story. You may not have thrown rocks but may have still struggled. I don't remember much of being 6. Not to say he/she didn't have issues before....

DMan

Was more talking the bullying side of it, and not children scarred by divorce. My parents went through a shitty break up when my sister and I were young, so I can understand to a certain degree.
I'm probably being a bit defensive sorry. But having been through a shitty break up you'd understand enough that each child will act out in different way. It may lead bullying, or the kid may be a bully, but may have been a one off dumb thing too.

stirk

Burner
I pick the battles I'm going to have, win or lose, with my 2 year old daughter.

Right now the battle I'm waging with her is on the dummy usage. I trained her to spit it out when she is awake as I hate seeing kids running about with dummies but lately as some big teeth are coming through she is enjoying her dummies more during the day.

My attack strategy is I cut a little slit in the end of the dummy, completely buggers it, and then watch her pick it up chew on it for a second then spit it back out in disgust cause it's not 'working' hehehe

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What full story makes striking someone in the forehead with a tennis ball sized rock acceptable?

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No means no, not ask again and I will change my mind. If you threaten something follow through. Our children are required to answer when asked a question or provided a greeting by someone. Manners are important. Mum and Dad (most of the time) married each other because they love each other and are allowed to be selfish (excluding the children) at times. Children deserved to be rewarded and praised. Love is important. No matter what they have done there isn't something that you can do that we cant work together through. If your boy wants to do ballet support it (ha ha I can say this because mine doesn't want too). Mum and Dad set the tone for activities if you whinge and complain about soccer being early and a hassle, surprisingly your kids takes this energy and hates it too. You are a parent, teacher and guider well before you are their friend. Sometimes it sucks to not give in to your child wants but it works much better in the long run. You are the adult who makes the decisions. You don't have to provide reason to a toddler - surprisingly they cant comprehend it.

I guarantee you the first time one of our 2 daughters or sons said I wont be eating off your plate - they wont be eating full stop. Or the other way around you wont be eating of my plate, they would of either shared or again they would not be eating. At some point the parent from the op has given in to the whim and will now have to do it for the rest of time or the resulting tantrum will occur. Be strong and firm from the start and many of these problems don't happen IMO. I don't have perfect kids and I'm not the perfect parent but my god parents in this world have become soft and allow children to dictate their lives...

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What full story makes striking someone in the forehead with a tennis ball sized rock acceptable?
If he was trying to defend your son from a vicious bear attack, and missed the bear, striking him in the head?

Boom King

No means no, not ask again and I will change my mind. If you threaten something follow through. Our children are required to answer when asked a question or provided a greeting by someone. Manners are important. Mum and Dad (most of the time) married each other because they love each other and are allowed to be selfish (excluding the children) at times. Children deserved to be rewarded and praised. Love is important. No matter what they have done there isn't something that you can do that we cant work together through. If your boy wants to do ballet support it (ha ha I can say this because mine doesn't want too). Mum and Dad set the tone for activities if you whinge and complain about soccer being early and a hassle, surprisingly your kids takes this energy and hates it too. You are a parent, teacher and guider well before you are their friend. Sometimes it sucks to not give in to your child wants but it works much better in the long run. You are the adult who makes the decisions. You don't have to provide reason to a toddler - surprisingly they cant comprehend it.

I guarantee you the first time one of our 2 daughters or sons said I wont be eating off your plate - they wont be eating full stop. Or the other way around you wont be eating of my plate, they would of either shared or again they would not be eating. At some point the parent from the op has given in to the whim and will now have to do it for the rest of time or the resulting tantrum will occur. Be strong and firm from the start and many of these problems don't happen IMO. I don't have perfect kids and I'm not the perfect parent but my god parents in this world have become soft and allow children to dictate their lives...
Hallefuckinglujah!!!!!!!!!

There is still hope.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So you're already judge, jury and executioner?
I have the story. I feel pity for the kid, not the parents, but it's not my place to comment further. The title of this thread is enough.
Advantages of living in a small town where we all know each other. I was just curious to see where your defense lawyer argument was going.
The kid also threw rocks at the teacher and ran off. No bears were harmed.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting thread, always good to get some insight in others parenting views and issues.

We had our 6 year old turn into a demon end of last year, quite out of the blue- full on tantrums (at home), screaming, kicking, bitting, sometimes lasting hours...
Pretty sure a large cause was his teacher who seemed to be having mental health issues and was screaming at kids, completely disorganised and finally hardly seemed able to do her job at all.
We also found more and more he really struggled without a quite ridged routine and having too many choices.
It took over a month to get him back under control and back to his usual self, he does still struggle with his emotions which I am sure is the same for all kids....
Parenting is a big adventure with lots of rewards and challenges.

DMan

I have the story. I feel pity for the kid, not the parents, but it's not my place to comment further. The title of this thread is enough.
Advantages of living in a small town where we all know each other. I was just curious to see where your defense lawyer argument was going.
The kid also threw rocks at the teacher and ran off. No bears were harmed.
It was for the kid, not the parents. Glad about the bear. Especially after watching Paddington Bear recently.

Boom King

I pick the battles I'm going to have, win or lose, with my 2 year old daughter.

Right now the battle I'm waging with her is on the dummy usage. I trained her to spit it out when she is awake as I hate seeing kids running about with dummies but lately as some big teeth are coming through she is enjoying her dummies more during the day.

My attack strategy is I cut a little slit in the end of the dummy, completely buggers it, and then watch her pick it up chew on it for a second then spit it back out in disgust cause it's not 'working' hehehe
Chuck it away!

Two days, three tops, of pain and you'll never look back,