WHO report released into processed and red meat finds links with cancer

Flow-Rider

Burner
Oh contrare! Statistics tell the real and proper answer as highlighted by the article, it's the headlines from the WHO that don't.

Most statistics of risk are presented as relative risk, but as the author says, it's pointless without also the absolute incidence, or the event rate.

I reckon it's fair to say that eating bacon everyday is probably too much. Im sure most of us are safe - surely it's not rocket science that slamming down 2 rashes of bacon every day for breaky is probably a bit overdone.
My grandfather ate bacon and eggs every morning for about 60 years of his life, he managed to live to the age of 82. He passed away from lung disease to which we are not sure from what was the cause because he smoked a lot in his early days and used pesticides on a farm without any form of breathing masks.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Soy isn't normal either. These days it's so GM it's not funny.

I avoid soy, it's not necessary to eat soy in volume even if you are vego (as I am).

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
So a piece of salt cured pork isn't normal. But a piece of facon, where someone has done fuck knows what to a poor innocent soy bean in order for it to taste like bacon is better?

I await studies into heavily processed soy products....
Unfermented soy is unfit for human consumption. Even fermented, >10g a day is illadvised.

Unfermented soy has the following 10 adverse affects on your body:

1. High Phytic Acid (Phytates): Reduces assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking, but only with long fermentation. High-phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.

2. Trypsin inhibitors: Interferes with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals, trypsin inhibitors in soy caused stunted growth.

3. Goitrogens: Potent agents that block your synthesis of thyroid hormones and can cause hypothyroidism and thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked with autoimmune thyroid disease. Goitrogens interfere with iodine metabolism.

4. Phytoestrogens/Isoflavones: Plant compounds resembling human estrogen can block your normal estrogen and disrupt endocrine function, cause infertility, and increase your risk for breast cancer.

5. Hemagglutinin: A clot-promoting substance that causes your red blood cells to clump, making them unable to properly absorb and distribute oxygen to your tissues.

6. Synthetic Vitamin D: Soy foods increase your body's vitamin D requirement, which is why companies add synthetic vitamin D2 to soymilk (a toxic form of vitamin D).

7. Vitamin B12: Soy contains a compound resembling vitamin B12 that cannot be used by your body, so soy foods can actually contribute to B12 deficiency, especially among vegans.

8. Protein Denaturing: Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein (TVP). Chemical processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.

9. MSG: Free glutamic acid, or MSG, is a potent neurotoxin. MSG is formed during soy food processing, plus additional MSG is often added to mask soy's unpleasant taste.

10. Aluminum and Manganese: Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum, which is toxic to your nervous system and kidneys, and manganese, which wreaks havoc on your baby's immature metabolic system.

Soy's antinutrients are quite potent. Drinking just two glasses of soymilk daily provides enough of these compounds to alter a woman's menstrual cycle. But if you feed soy to your infant or child, these effects are magnified a thousand-fold. Infants fed soy formula may have up to 20,000 times more estrogen circulating through their bodies as those fed other formulas. You should NEVER feed your infant a soy-based formula!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

I avoid soy, it's not necessary to eat soy in volume even if you are vego (as I am).
You say that like GM is bad.

GM is neither good nor bad - it's a tool. A tool that has helped crop yields in particular, and therefore fed more people than otherwise with less land and water and hence better for the environment. What's next, your naturopath told me so........

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
WHO retracts study

News just in

http://theunaustralian.net/2015/10/28/two-pigs-dressed-as-a-doctor-the-source-of-bacon-cancer-study/

Quote follows,

The World Health Organisation has retracted a study that revealed a connection between bowel cancer and bacon after an alert staff member discovered that the doctor presenting the results was actually two pigs dressed up in a long white lab coat.

“The presentation he gave was certainly impressive with lots of graphs and pie charts,” said Dr Hermione Trotter, head of ontological research at WHO. “No-one questioned his credentials because he had a stethoscope around his neck. We were on the verge of recommending a world wide ban on bacon and sausages when one of our secretaries noticed something out of the ordinary.”

“I happened to see a little curly tail poking out from the back of his lab coat”, said UN stenographer Penny Stencil. “So I quietly went out and procured a bucket of slops from a nearby city farm and brought it into the meeting room. The fake doctor started salivating and forgetting his statistics and finally he dropped the pretence altogether and both of them leapt squealing from the rostrum and attacked the bucket.”

The bogus bacon study follows on from a similar attempt to discredit chicken nuggets carried out by seven chickens dressed up as an expert on heart disease.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
You say that like GM is bad.

GM is neither good nor bad - it's a tool. A tool that has helped crop yields in particular, and therefore fed more people than otherwise with less land and water and hence better for the environment. What's next, your naturopath told me so........
Are you saying that all GM is good? All GM has long-term proven goodness?

It helps with crop yields & pest control. That's what it's used for. As you've stated.

Where does it say that GM is better to *eat*?

Calvin27

Eats Squid

It helps with crop yields & pest control. That's what it's used for. As you've stated.

There is a GM dude on RB, who'd have thunk!

Of all the paleo, anti-vax, gluten free hippies, I find the GM crowd the hardest to rationalise. I support their anti-Monsanto stance but don't get why they hate cavendish bananas so much.

Unfermented soy is unfit for human consumption. Even fermented, >10g a day is illadvised.
Holy crap. Where are the warnings for soy. I'm a lactard and always maintained it's easier and better to 'eat through it'. But dayam. That's some seriosu stuff. I'm guessing soy sauce is ok because fermented. What about cooked soy beans? Endamame?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I

No, that's why I said what I said. Gm is however, safe to eat.

And wtf is "goodness"?

so what did you mean ? Were you using "so GM" to communicate efficiency, better crop yields, feeding more people, or perhaps as a replacement for "bad"?

Ah yes Calvin - suspect I'm:deadhorse:

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No, just that it's now a high yield crop being added to almost everything on the market.

Fuckers just added it to our favourite burrito wraps. Wasn't there a few months ago. Wifey is allergic to soy, so I check everything I buy.

Shitty soy shit.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Holy crap. Where are the warnings for soy. I'm a lactard and always maintained it's easier and better to 'eat through it'. But dayam. That's some seriosu stuff. I'm guessing soy sauce is ok because fermented. What about cooked soy beans? Endamame?
The Chinese first cultivated soy as a food for pigs, around 3000 or so years ago from memory. It was used as it was a high yield crop, that was easy to grow.

Miso, naturally fermented soy sauce and other similar products, in small quantities won't be an issue.

Endamame is just as shit as mature soy. The Japanese eat it fresh, steamed then chilled as an apatiser, and again in small quantities will be okay. However it has all the same antinutrients as the ripened beans, and the Western habit of ploughing through bags of the crap will have the same net effect.

As for all the soy based, meat/dairy substitutes, well soy is grey and bland. Who knows what manufactured concoctions they add to give it the texture, colour and taste of the whole foods it's replacing.........

Soy is stock feed at best. Eat some Lima or Broad beans instead. Or better yet have a bacon sandwich.

As for the warnings, pffffft, the industry has buckets of cash to burn, and like the sugar and oil industries, pay for the majority of research into the benefits/problems of soy. And of course, spruik the positive and suppress the negative eg. It's high in protein (promoted), the human body cannot access that protein (supressed). The US government won't take any meaningful action because if the huge economic impact a collapse of the soy industry would have.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
The Chinese first cultivated soy as a food for pigs, around 3000 or so years ago from memory. It was used as it was a high yield crop, that was easy to grow.

Miso, naturally fermented soy sauce and other similar products, in small quantities won't be an issue.

Endamame is just as shit as mature soy. The Japanese eat it fresh, steamed then chilled as an apatiser, and again in small quantities will be okay. However it has all the same antinutrients as the ripened beans, and the Western habit of ploughing through bags of the crap will have the same net effect.

As for all the soy based, meat/dairy substitutes, well soy is grey and bland. Who knows what manufactured concoctions they add to give it the texture, colour and taste of the whole foods it's replacing.........

Soy is stock feed at best. Eat some Lima or Broad beans instead. Or better yet have a bacon sandwich.

As for the warnings, pffffft, the industry has buckets of cash to burn, and like the sugar and oil industries, pay for the majority of research into the benefits/problems of soy. And of course, spruik the positive and suppress the negative eg. It's high in protein (promoted), the human body cannot access that protein (supressed). The US government won't take any meaningful action because if the huge economic impact a collapse of the soy industry would have.

The answer to anything is therefore not 42 but bacon. Love live bacon.

redbruce

Eats Squid
My grandfather ate bacon and eggs every morning for about 60 years of his life, he managed to live to the age of 82. He passed away from lung disease to which we are not sure from what was the cause because he smoked a lot in his early days and used pesticides on a farm without any form of breathing masks.
A sample of one. Not representative of a sample population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_(statistics) - Greg Hunt approved reference site.

Interesting but statistically so what?

As you are entitled too. But what exactly is the point you are trying to make?

Where is the evidence, GM soy or otherwise is actually an issue?

What is normal? We have been selectively breeding organisms over millenium.

Where does it say it isn't?

Of course GM has also had world health benefits for those of us that don't enjoy first world benefits, like time or access to RB forums: eg http://www.goldenrice.org/

None the less it will probably save our (Australian) collective bacon in terms of agriculture production in a climate constrained environment (and given the reality that our agriculture - our native food and fibre source is constrained by significant water and weathered soils).

Ignorance, conscious or otherwise is no excuse.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Chemical composition of some GM-modified soy should be investigated further.

Here's a study on that issue:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814613019201

Highlights
Glyphosate tolerant GM soybeans contain high residues of glyphosate and AMPA.
Soybeans from different agricultural practices differ in nutritional quality.
Organic soybeans showed a more healthy nutritional profile than other soybeans.
Organic soy contained more sugars, protein and zinc, but less fibre and omega-6.
This study rejects that GM soy is “substantially equivalent” to non-GM soybeans.
But why do you care so much about what I think?

placebo

Likes Dirt
The mechanism by which grilled and fried bacon increases the risk of breast cancer:

[video=youtube;mA7Ud8hFEH8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA7Ud8hFEH8[/video]

placebo

Likes Dirt
This mechanism also leads to increases in other cancers:

[video=youtube;4Zu58SM4BE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zu58SM4BE8[/video]

placebo

Likes Dirt
That nice grilled meat smell may be equivalent to smoking cigarettes:

[video=youtube;43ArkZEkjvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ArkZEkjvI[/video]

placebo

Likes Dirt
High temperature fried foods tend to do the same: