Wombat 100 - 13 April 2014 - Official Event Info Page

riderideride

Likes Dirt
That is piss poor. That doesn't happen at Otway Odyssey. I took nearly 10 hours a few years back and there was still people there greeting you at the finish line with a beer.
Yeah I was pretty surprised that at 7hrs 20 everything was packed up. I was soooo hungry too. Ticked that one off. Won't be back next year. Lacking the atmosphere and organization if other similarly priced 100km events.
As for the vandals....WTF?!?! Who does that?! I also had 4wd Reving their engines at me. Was quite scary.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Is there a picture of the bike AFTER the race Rishi? I am betting it was pretty muddy ;-)

I managed to wash mine down with the bike wash hose. There was so much mud, after it dried, it looked like I had never washed it down in the first place! We drove from the race straight to the bike shop and dropped off our bikes for them to take care of :)

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Is there a picture of the bike AFTER the race Rishi? I am betting it was pretty muddy ;-)

I managed to wash mine down with the bike wash hose. There was so much mud, after it dried, it looked like I had never washed it down in the first place! We drove from the race straight to the bike shop and dropped off our bikes for them to take care of :)
No not really. It was at its worst after the first 50km but Ben cleaned it for me in Transition before I went back out again. The second half was no where near as bad....just more bog holes. I tried to avoid them (which was time consuming and sometimes required hike a bike through the bush). Saw a guy ride through one and almost get swallowed whole never to emerge again ;)

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
I did 50 in 3 and a half. Also stuck behind the plodders all day. Tracks were very bad by the time I got through. Next year it will be dry and it will be fast again. Shit about the vandals. Congrats to the the guy who won his group. You did well. Ill race again. That's a fun day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJG

Likes Dirt
Gel wrappers - qualified thanks!

Riding sweep again this year, there were probably only 12 gel wrappers discarded onto the first half of the course. This is about 10-fold less than last year, so a HUGE thanks to the vast majority of the riders who did the right thing.

Sadly this wasn't the case for the remainder of the 75 km course - I'm guessing that I picked up about 30 or so. Still a big improvement on last year but really, is it that hard or diagreeable to tuck your empty wrappers under the leg of your knicks?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Wife was cursing me because I threw my jersey into the clothes basket with the empty gel wrappers still in the back pocket - oops :)
Perhaps some riders were wearing skinsuits (ie. no back pocket?!). Or they are just lazy gits :p

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Wife was cursing me because I threw my jersey into the clothes basket with the empty gel wrappers still in the back pocket - oops :)
Perhaps some riders were wearing skinsuits (ie. no back pocket?!). Or they are just lazy gits :p
Being optimistic, I don't think anyone deliberately throws gel wrappers on the ground - but they aren't the easiest thing to handle while riding, especially if you are trying to stick them into jersey pockets when you have a camelbak on on single track.... hell, I've seen tools, bottles, spare tubes, sunglasses etc on the trails in races - so people drop stuff all the time

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Slide them under the leg of your knicks?? You covered in sweat and mud anyway.

What difference does a bit of sticky goodness trickling down your leg going to make to your perfrormance!

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
I did notice quite a few skinsuits, what's the deal with that? And not elite riders either. My 1gel definitely came home empty from the 50k because I just got round to unpacking my muddy kit and found the sticky wrapper.

I did have a heart in throat moment about 30k in when I checked my pocket and couldn't find my tool bag, which contained the car keys. After a bit of frantic searching whilst bombing down a fire road I found it in the other pocket!

Marx

Likes Dirt
That mud was smelly. Washed the bike Sunday evening & now my backyard is smelly. My gear is smelly too but that always is. Anyone’s whites still white?

What would people feel about a 100km event that lapped a (shorter) course, instead of point to point over unique trail all the time?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
That mud was smelly. Washed the bike Sunday evening & now my backyard is smelly. My gear is smelly too but that always is. Anyone’s whites still white?
Washing detergent would help here ;-)

What would people feel about a 100km event that lapped a (shorter) course, instead of point to point over unique trail all the time?
Doesn't that just then make the race the equivalent of a 6 hour enduro? How long a lap are you talking?

MJG

Likes Dirt
ABC are having a closing down sale (here's the link if it works http://www.abcoutlets.com.au/shop/) and I did see some very very cheap skin suits down in the basement???

Glad I missed this event; I road the singletrack the weekend before when it was dry, and it was heaven! But Wombat mud - URGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Was "road the singletrack" a deliberate oxymoron?

The singletrack in the pines was porridge by the time I rode through (sweeping after all the 100s and 75s, say 300 riders) - but the singletrack in the native forest was in very good condition and significantly drier than many would have expected. I'd be curious to know how filthy the 50 km riders were when they got back, since they didn't ride any of the pines.