Wombat 100 - 13 April 2014 - Official Event Info Page

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Sounds like a pretty interesting day out with the Vandalism delays, then the restarts.
I've been known to hate on this event and it's organisers before, but I'll refrain this time.

However, it does bother me that a national level event can't give you any form of results yet?
The vandalism bit was out of their control, but restarting the wave 1 behind the wave 3 (and possibly the wave 2 people) was just a silly idea.
The lack of online results is a big negative. Given grass roots clubs can get online results "live", I'm baffled by this one also. I've posted to the organisers on twitter and Facebook for results, but received no response on this.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Haven't checked the GU in my goodie bag, will have a look tonight. Was there free beer this time around? I got in late as a straggler and the finish area was mostly packed up. I'm a bit bummed since I totally enjoyed a beer and burger at the end last year but I guess they need to pack up at some point. Good to see the feed stations actually had some food this year too.

How's everyone's bikes? My poor drivetrain, it was making the worst sounds at the end, like a handful of gravel in a washing machine.

Anyone know what the wining times were for the 75 and 100?

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Haven't checked the GU in my goodie bag, will have a look tonight. Was there free beer this time around? I got in late as a straggler and the finish area was mostly packed up. I'm a bit bummed since I totally enjoyed a beer and burger at the end last year but I guess they need to pack up at some point. Good to see the feed stations actually had some food this year too.

How's everyone's bikes? My poor drivetrain, it was making the worst sounds at the end, like a handful of gravel in a washing machine.

My drivetrain sounded pretty bad toward the end as well. I came in later too and was disappointed to see no one there to point me toward a free beer. It's no excuse that they need to pack up sometime. I finished before the cut off time so they should have still been there. It's like going into a shop 30mins before they close and having them ignore you. I'm not fussed about the beer really, but people pay good money for these events and I'm sure some people would have loved to be handed a cold one at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

whale

Likes Bikes
The beauty of SS is only brakes and BB are buggered . The beer tent was hidden away behind the presentation stand , giving away what I consider to be a thimble full of beer so we snuck back for a refill bringing our quota up to half a pot . Nice beer though .

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Winning time for the 100km was "around 4 hours" (that was what was announced when they crossed the line).

No idea on the 75km. I saw who i think was the winner of the 75km (liam jeffries) cross the line but i doubt they realised it as nothing was said.

Online results would help here :p

Last edited:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Yeah it's surprising given they have a fully electronic scoring system that they are so slow to post results? GMBC have live timing data and they have to manually read each number plate as it passes through a checkpoint....

A question: in the 50Km event last year there was a timed section of singletrack but I can't remember it's name... was it included in any of yesterday's tracks?

I picked up a ziplock bag of snakes 1/3 the way through the 2nd 50 kay loop too - does anyone want their snakes back? :)

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Congrats mate, good shit! I pulled out of the 50, what vandalism was done??
Course markers removed and the water container at the first feed station was tipped over and emptied. A massive thanks to the people out there fixing the damage on the morning, we were only delayed 50 minutes.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Congrats mate, good shit! I pulled out of the 50, what vandalism was done??
yes cheers mate - happy with the win, wife won her category also - not a bad day out. Of course, this information would have been more useful yesterday :)
Instead we just scoffed out faces with sausage sandwiches, got changed, then drove home. Oh well, no podium time for us!

Overnight I think some bogans tipped over some of the water containers plus moved a few markers and bunting around. Not cool.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
yes cheers mate - happy with the win, wife won her category also - not a bad day out. Of course, this information would have been more useful yesterday :)
Instead we just scoffed out faces with sausage sandwiches, got changed, then drove home. Oh well, no podium time for us!

Overnight I think some bogans tipped over some of the water containers plus moved a few markers and bunting around. Not cool.
Everything was packed up when I finished the 100 :( no food or beer for me.

spudmonkey32

Likes Dirt
Was my first XC race in years and was surprised at how amateurish it was. Granted they did well to keep the event running with the weather and vandalism but i've never raced on a push bike alongside motorbikes and 4wders - its an accident waiting to happen! Had some red neck gunning his engine for a few km - accelerating and showering gravel around with no thought for the racers - unbelievable.

And then the start for the 50km was priceless, send the fastest group the wrong way then hold them up and put them behind the slowest riders - genius. That made it frustrating for the fastest riders and also I felt for the slower ones, pulling over for a group of 30 riders can't be much fun.

Still enjoyed it at times though

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I wonder how significant an impact the vandalism was, since it seemed that the organisation really suffered as a result - we were told at the briefing that the cutoff for the 100 was to be shifted due to the delayed start but I was riding with a 100 rider who was directed to take the 75 course because he'd missed the cutoff - this was at the original 2pm time and not the shifted time.... so it seems like there was a lack of communication with the organisers.

It was my first time riding the Wombat tracks and I have much man love for the people that made and maintain them, they are a great set of tracks. It must be tricky to make a 50, 75 and 100 loop that don't trip over each other but I reckon the 50 should cover the Wombat tracks, they seem to be a bit more friendly than the Pinies or the tracks in the 2nd 50 with the bridges....

Congrats Cleeshoy on your number 1 in category too!

I wonder how many people simply stayed home based on the weather? Would be good to know how many piked it.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the 100 and had a great race.

As for the beer, I had a shower, packed up etc and got a beer from the tent during presentation. They were not going anywhere, all you had to do was ask......

Track was lots of fun, feed stations well stocked, everyone really friendly.
Had a great dice with a mate for about 1.5 hours in the middle before I finally broke him on the big climb.

Drove back last night, home at 1am.

Will be back next year.

softek

Likes Dirt
I did the 100 and had a great race.

As for the beer, I had a shower, packed up etc and got a beer from the tent during presentation. They were not going anywhere, all you had to do was ask......

Track was lots of fun, feed stations well stocked, everyone really friendly.
Had a great dice with a mate for about 1.5 hours in the middle before I finally broke him on the big climb.

Drove back last night, home at 1am.

Will be back next year.
Well done Steve, you rode a very solid race mate, just imagine if that track was dry, I did say you will enjoy it mate, quite the opposite of the OO race last year, when I over took you at almost the same point in the race, I can only Imagine your thoughts of SWEET REVENGE hey, well done mate. you gotta do the OO now.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done Steve, you rode a very solid race mate, just imagine if that track was dry, I did say you will enjoy it mate, quite the opposite of the OO race last year, when I over took you at almost the same point in the race, I can only Imagine your thoughts of SWEET REVENGE hey, well done mate. you gotta do the OO now.
Yep, you looked as happy when I passed you yesterday as I did in OO last year when you passed me...

I was pushing hard to keep my mate behind me, he started in the group behind and had made up the 3 mins and got away from me for 25 mins. Once I caught him again it was on for an hour and a half. Once I gapped him I had to make back the 3 mins. Got him by 10 mins in the end so was stoked. I was happy with sub 5 1/2 hours.
I managed to stay on the bike all day too...

The mate I drove over with won the SS 75k too.